Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 153324 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #100 on: 05 September, 2016, 09:16:02 pm »
Not exactly today but 10 days ago.
I opted for a flat 200k DIY along Belgian canals, after all I only did a 1000k BRM two weeks before.

When starting out the cows predicted a hot day, several of them were already cooling down in the river well before noon. I choose the old Zuid Willemsvaart for the first stretch as it's nice and shady. It wasn't actually designed as a shipping canal but as a feeder canal for 'le Grand Canal du Nord' designed by Napoleon.

I briefly left the canals to ride north to Achelse Kluis abbey, a very popular cyclist's top. But I didn't really stop there, I opted for a baguette a few k south of it. After the abbey I cycled south to the canals again via an old railroad. From neerpelt I took the canal to Herentals. Both canals will be very known to the Borders of Belgium riders.

In Herentals I took a short break to admire the local scenery before heading south over an old railroad to Aarschot. Entering Aarschot was a bit iffy due to roadworks, I had to detour and then head back to the city centre where I had my control. From Aarschot it was a while through the inland, deviating from the canals&railroads theme of this DIY. Still I managed to follow a few small rivers as a substitute to the canals.

In Viversel I finally reached my last canal for the day, the more modern Albertkanaal. I had an alternative though, there were thunderstorms predicted for the evening so i made full use of the free routing by having an inland option to Zutendaal with plenty of shelter. But I didn't need it so I continued along the canal into the fading daylight.

When the canal turned south I turned northeast to the village of Zutendaal for the few meters of climbing in this route. It was dark by the time I hit the hightest point at 70m. The downhill back to town is an easy one. Near home I stopped at the chinese takeway. Back home I just finished my dinner when the tunderstorm started.

https://www.strava.com/activities/691250715

« Reply #101 on: 06 September, 2016, 09:30:41 am »
That red Jag was on our ferry.

« Reply #102 on: 11 September, 2016, 12:42:03 pm »
Another weekend, another DIY. This time a mandatory one, loosely based on my old Citadel 200.

In contrast to the event route, the first stage stays nearer to Liege. I exited town via the Jeker valley and picked up a Ravel in Hautain Saint Simeon. This network of converted railroads and tramlines is great for cycling in Belgium. There are two other ones in this route, one from Namur to Hoegaarden and the other from Tienen to St. Truiden.

In Alleur I deviated from the Ravel for a short visit to Decathlon. I still needed some kit for the Silk Route 1200 and this one is very convenietnly located. After leaving the Ravel the traffic was a bit dense. This route is in fact better for a sunday since both the Liege and Namur area's can be quite busy. Due to the traffic the descent to the Maas valley was slower as expected.

Cycling is popular here, you can find a lot of cycling specific monuments like this one in Amay.

Once clear of the Liege urban area there's a lot to see on this route, castles, mansions and citadels like the one in Huy. The advantage of the mandatory route for this ride is that you can take the bikepath next to the river which is a detour compared to the direct route.

Just south of Huy the bikepath leads straight through the sugar factory. On weekdays it's a bit smelly here but there were hardly any operations on this saturday. Further south it's a quiet ride especially since all traffic stays on the eastern bank of the river and for most of the time you can cycle via the quiet western side.
The busy town of Namur is a bit of shock sometimes. The climb of the Citadel itself is not too difficult. The gradient is such that they could drag cannons up by horsepower so it's just a question of sitting and grinding. The ascent itself is more scenic as the top.

The descent has been resurfaced recently so now it's a nice swooping descent to the Sambre river. Just after this there are a few kebab shops which perfect for lunch. Directly behind Namur railway station another Ravel starts. I really like this one, scenic, straight and not too difficult. Especially yesterday it was a nice one, the headwind which slowed me down in the Maas valley now turned into a nice tailwind. The warm wather invited a lot of locals on BSO's out on the bikepath so sometimes I needed some quick reflexes to evade their dodgy cycling.

In Sint Truiden it was into the teeth of the monster and back out again for short bit of city cycling followed by another former railroad. I bypassed my usual stop in Drieslinter, a nice cycling cafe. I started out o a bit late so the Vuelta stage had finished already. Otherwise this is a nice stop, especially if you arrive there around 16h when' there's cycling on the TV.

Just after Drieslinter I took the branch line to St. Truiden, another very scenic Ravel. Entering St. Truiden it was remarkably quiet on the road. Quite a lot of roads were fenced off. As a cyclist I could pass a number of fences but eventually I had to stop at the market square. Here it was really fenced off, an evening run along brightly lit monuments. I tried a detour but was stopped by a police officer. 10 minutes later all traffic was allowed again and I could continue into the evening.

It was dark already when I neared Tongeren. The main church tower is brighly lit and can be seen from the surrounding countryside. This time I opted for a meandering route and not the fast dash via the mainroad. In Tongeren there were some traffic problems again, the Ambiorix fair was held. And this fair is not only on the market square but all around town. Originally I planned to have dinner here but the restaurants were too busy for a quick turnaround. So I decided to try my luck in the next place, Mal. After some walking through the crowds I reached another former railway line. In Mal I left the former railroad line. No real food to be had here, only a friterie was open. So I pushed on, I could still make it to town before the last Chinese take away closes. The bit from Mal to home is one of my usual approach routes so no navigational issues. I had elected the official event finishing point, the Youthhostel, as start/finish so I could detour to the Chinese takeway without problems. They were still a lot of customers there so I arrived home with another DIY 200k in the bag and a meal in my rackpack.

The route a bit cleaned up (detours removed):

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=eewtzetmnicaeuws

« Reply #103 on: 12 September, 2016, 12:42:23 pm »
Rode a 300k DIY in The Dales / Northern Pennines on Friday 9th Sept - https://www.strava.com/activities/709152199

An enjoyable route with some good hills and fantastic views over the fells and dales.  Dark clouds hugging the line of Great Dun Fell as I rode below, Killhope Cross looking east and descending through Arkengarthdale (though a pint just before at the Tan Hill Inn may have helped ;D) were particular highlights.

Southerly winds were forecast however and I certainly got them.  Being blown up the Old Coal Road and Hartside were welcome but from Stanhope onwards it was a strong headwind all the way to Gargrave, pretty hard work.  Rain squalls from mid afternoon added to the experience, making crossing Fleet Moss (walked the final bit, just too steep & windy :( ) and descending into Langstrothdale particularly unpleasant.  I was there again caving on the Sunday and it couldn't have been more different; warm, sunny and windless!!!

Broke a gear cable at Stanhope but at least that led to a good chat with the only passing cyclist who could bothered to ask if I needed any help; thanks Lester!  An older lady in Gargrave was also quick to offer help when she thought I was lost; much appreciated but thankfully I wasn’t, just a bit spaced-out…

The pull up & over the fell side to Settle (so as to avoid the A65) seemed to go on forever but eventually I was on the lumpy road to Horton-in-Ribblesdale and then the comfort of my caving club hut where hot food & a shower awaited.

A little more 'character building' than I'd hoped for but none the less a good day out on the road.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #104 on: 19 September, 2016, 02:37:26 am »
Rode a 200 on Thursday. Maidenhead to Bognor Regis and back. Last day of the good weather.

Only realised after getting back that I had forgotten to swap my pump from the other bike. Luckily didn't need it. Not much point carrying tubes,  patches and levers but no pump.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #105 on: 19 September, 2016, 05:39:44 pm »
Yesterday could probably be identified as the last day of Summer for a day’s ride in Summer gear.

So managed my Audax Perm Malvern Elgar Dean 200km, which traverses the Jubilee Drive (collected natural Malvern Spring water!). It is a cracking route on mainly quiet roads: Cheltenham> Tewkesbury> Newent> Ledbury> British Camp> Malvern> Lower Broadheath (Elgar Birthplace Museum)> (down!) Ankerdine Hill)> Bromyard> Hereford (Cathedral + Elgar bronze)> St Weonards (Shop on LEJoG)> Goodrich (Castle Tea Rooms)> Cinderford (For of Dean)> Glos> Brockworth> Chelt. I designed this route after riding editions of Nik Peregrine's Elgar Route. We celebrate Nik with the Border Castles 200 from Chepstow this w/e.

The Elgar BM (closed on 18 Sep)(nr Worcester) transfers to the National Trust for next season, so will be a great place to relax for a mid-ride snack when they build a café.

And now Sandals resigned to storage till the Spring.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #106 on: 19 September, 2016, 06:41:43 pm »
Rode a 200 on Thursday. Maidenhead to Bognor Regis and back. Last day of the good weather.

I'm so confused! Can you two please decide when the last day of good weather and/or summer was?!

Or indeed whether it has already happened?? Will my lawn stop growing now (it's had a damn good last 7 days, I can tell you) ?  And how many shopping days are left?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #107 on: 19 September, 2016, 07:38:30 pm »

I'm so confused! Can you two please decide when the last day of good weather and/or summer was?!

Or indeed whether it has already happened?? Will my lawn stop growing now (it's had a damn good last 7 days, I can tell you) ?  And how many shopping days are left?

I think grass keeps growing down to 7c, I would classify that as still good weather.

« Reply #108 on: 07 October, 2016, 10:51:36 pm »
Last weekend - a couple of perfect days riding out to Alston via Kielder and the Borders, and back over Mallerstang and through the Dales. Comedy offroad orchestrated by Aidan, and the sort of skies you only seem to get in Northumberland.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #109 on: 08 October, 2016, 08:27:56 am »
Cool.

(Does VC167 usually use team radios?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #110 on: 08 October, 2016, 10:16:20 am »
Last weekend - a couple of perfect days riding out to Alston via Kielder and the Borders, and back over Mallerstang and through the Dales. Comedy offroad orchestrated by Aidan, and the sort of skies you only seem to get in Northumberland.

Is that the new wireless electronic shifting you've been working on?

« Reply #111 on: 08 October, 2016, 10:18:35 am »
Or does it change the traffic lights to green?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #112 on: 08 October, 2016, 01:01:46 pm »
Cool.

(Does VC167 usually use team radios?)

Marginal Gains.

« Reply #113 on: 10 October, 2016, 08:18:22 am »
A 600km DIY this weekend (626km OTR) with the "corners" being London, Chichester, Honiton, Taunton and back to London.

The weather was fantastic for the time of year, with temperatures mild (7 degrees overnight, 15 during the day) and apart from an hour of intermittently heavy showers on Sunday afternoon dry all the way round.

I think that will be my lot (in terms of 600s) until Spring though. I know that all true hard-bitten AUKs are as happy with night riding as daytime, but when you get to the point that there are as many hours of darkness as light for me it's time to retreat to 200s and cosy nights in.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #114 on: 15 October, 2016, 05:14:06 pm »
Did the AAA Milne starting/finishing from East Grinstead, 100K 1.75AAA points.

This has to be one of the best routes I've been on having almost no A roads, very little traffic and in general excellent road surfaces.

Are there any other perms which cover the same area? Because this was ideal cycling terrain with enough hills to keep it interesting but not so many that you couldn't do it at a decent pace (>25kph).

« Reply #115 on: 16 October, 2016, 02:21:01 am »
I did the 'Gollen 200 perm, the perm version of the World End. Flew out to Davenham and then it started to fall apart. A flat through Vale Royal resulted in depressurisation, the pump decided to be an ex pump, so I bodged it with a crisp packet and some instant patches to get 30 psi and limped to Chester for a new pump at The Edge Cycleworks.

Up the hill out of Mold a 12 year old driving an all terrain thing at warp factor five got it wrong and hit me with the mirror and I got to inspect the hedgerow.

Arriving at Johnstown it appeared the whole populace was in the Co-Op and one member of staff working so it took 30 mins to get a receipt.

On the path at the back of Swettenham I got blinded by a security light, hit the step up to the tarmac and performed the slowest over the bars you'll ever see.

Despite all of the above an excellent day out with out of this world scenery on a great route and just about completed the 212km in BRM time.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #116 on: 16 October, 2016, 08:29:21 am »
Despite all of the above an excellent day out with out of this world scenery on a great route and just about completed the 212km in BRM time.
Excellent  ;D

:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #117 on: 19 November, 2016, 10:29:13 pm »
First diy 200 and a lovely route for the first 150, it was dark after  that so I know the lanes were quiet but know nowt of the scenery. I may or may not get 2 AUK points but I sure earned a bucket of rule #9 points.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #118 on: 20 November, 2016, 01:58:46 am »
200km today, based on the upper Thames but modified betweenS toke row and Bicester as for some strange reason the official route does not start at the end of my road.

started at 06:25 as i figured starting in the dark is better than finishing in the dark. If nothing else, fewer tools driving in morning twilight than evening.

Pretty cold at the start and ice/slippery in the Cotswolds, stopped at the old mill cafe in Chipping Norton. very good, reasonably priced and quick, would eat there again

« Reply #119 on: 20 November, 2016, 03:32:02 am »
300 km down to the Humber and back - Steve made me do it, and he's still riding home to complete his 400. Nutter. But the type of nutter that makes you think it's perfectly reasonable to start a 300 on an icy November day at 9 am. I was just as pleased not to be starting too early, mind, as it was hammering down in Darlo until about 8.30 this morning.

I had charge of the 300 km route, and stuck to routes I knew would work along the Great North Road to Aberford, and across to Selby. I got a bit bored at that point, and thought I'd try the Trans-Pennine Trail along the Humber to add a bit of interest. I loved it, Steve was...ambivalent. We both enjoyed the silence and the glow of twilight across the estuary.

Back onto familiar roads up to York and across to Ripon. The roads were distinctly shiny around Beningbrough and Aldwark, so I made the executive decision to plough back along the A61 through Busby Stoop and up the A167, which proved to be the right decision - apart from some icy bits at the edges north of Croft, it was clear and entirely ridable. We did miss the thrill of a final stop at Leeming McDonald's, but made up for it with a stop outside the Ottterington Shorthorn to charge Steve's Garmin, chatting with the locals as they emerged from the locked doors and blackout curtains.

Home by two and ahead of Storm Angus.

« Reply #120 on: 20 November, 2016, 11:38:25 am »
That sounds great.  Which Steve?

« Reply #121 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:42:29 pm »
I wove the Kent Invicata Grimpeur 50k loops into a 200 mandatory DIY yesterday. It had everything - rubbish suburban roads at the start and finish, really wonderful scenery in Kent and nice drivers too, plenty of climbing, great weather in the morning and rubbish rain in the afternoon. My Garmins played up all day so plenty (aka way too much) of faffage culminating in a Garmin crash 10k from home. Hopefully, I have enough for assessment but, if not, it was a grand day out.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #122 on: 20 November, 2016, 09:16:35 pm »
Hurrumph...

Checking out a EWE Baaa on Sat, for Calendar event potential; nice morning, pleasant riding until Reading, where Bloody Moronic Wanker man starts off with his mantra of "I pay my Road Tax / Get on the cycle path", to which the only response, given prevailing conditions, is "Fuck Off"; eventually he finds himself stuck in a queue cause by other motons (which, natch, is my fault), and he gets dropped in the distance.  Obv. his singular neuron can't cope with such complicated instructions, as 10 minutes later he comes roaring up from behind and deliberately swerves into me, bringing me down, then follows prior instruction and indeed fucks off... >:(

The bike's fine, and I'm just grazed/bruised r/h hip/thigh, so manged to limp around remaining 150Km.

Fortunately, there are also good people in the world, and the couple behind had iPad'd him, and promptly e-mailed me :thumbsup:

Sadly, it ain't turned up, and I didn't give them my mobile :facepalm:

So this could sit here, Today's MM (him), DOTD (me) or several other places, depending on how you look at it.

But yes, conversion is feasible :)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #123 on: 20 November, 2016, 09:24:15 pm »
Bloody hell, pat - you're phlegmatic!  Look after yourself.

Peter

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #124 on: 20 November, 2016, 10:24:26 pm »
That red Jag was on our ferry.

V12 Series-3 two plus two?