Author Topic: Bob Jackson paint colours  (Read 2718 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Bob Jackson paint colours
« on: 02 February, 2019, 12:04:48 am »
It's looking more and more likely that a Bob Jackson frame will be my next bike. I'm chewing over colours, but the swatches on their website are quite badly reproduced.  The one labelled white, for example,  looks quite grey to me. They have photos of frames on their website, which seem more accurate, so photos of other Bob Jackson painted frames would be good.

Own up. Who on here has a Bob Jackson? Sgt. Pluck has/had an Oxford Blue Vigorelli IIRC. Any more?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

dat

Re: Bob Jackson paint colours
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2019, 05:41:45 am »
If mine is anything to go by the colours are way out. This is Viola metallic paint.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2019, 09:47:00 am »
I've had four painted by them.  The celeste is a good match for the Bianchi colour.  Flam blue is very good indeed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2019, 09:51:13 am »
Thanks for the answers. Of course if I'd been more than half awake I would have remembered your thread, DaT, from a couple of months ago. It's got a link to sprayed squares from the old Bob Jackson website.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:24:21 am »
100_1871_zpsa2844b94 by mark tilley, on Flickr

the Amber Flam,  on Blodwyn, was close.

« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:34:45 am »
I’m not sure if it is still the case, but when I ordered mine I went for a non-flam because BJ said the flams were less durable.

« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2019, 12:40:10 pm »
I got my Eclipse resprayed BRG & cream by Jackson's (and they did a great job), but yes, their colour charts are rubbish. Colour matching between screen and the outside world is devilish tricky at best, and with a bad chart is just a mug's game. When I was looking at colours I found the best method was just to do a Google images search for "Bob Jackson <colour name>', which usually brought up a couple of pictures so you could see what it looked like in different conditions.

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2019, 02:07:21 pm »
When I had my wife's frame modified and resprayed by Bob Jacksons I requested a British Standard or RAL colour code for the likely choises from them then visited a local paint supplier to finalise. Very pleased with their workmanship.

Rob

dat

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2019, 03:19:35 pm »
It's looking more and more likely that a Bob Jackson frame will be my next bike. I'm chewing over colours, but the swatches on their website are quite badly reproduced.  The one labelled white, for example,  looks quite grey to me. They have photos of frames on their website, which seem more accurate, so photos of other Bob Jackson painted frames would be good.

Own up. Who on here has a Bob Jackson? Sgt. Pluck has/had an Oxford Blue Vigorelli IIRC. Any more?
I haven't talked about this online and for the money it's OK but my Bob Jackson isn't perfect cosmetic.

The lug brazing is sloppy, top of fork crown has either bad paint or badly cast lug, rear brake cable braze on had to be eased open to fit a cable, small mark in the metal on the fork blade by the drop out, sloppy tolerance on seatpost, head tube was way out when it came to facing.

It's a fantastic ride though, I would say one of the best "standard" bikes I've owned.

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2019, 08:28:47 pm »
I've had a bit of framebuilding work done by them and wouldn't use them again.  Fork went in for a threadless steerer and came back with a spacing so narrow, I couldn't actually fit a front wheel in.  They rebrazed it but I never trusted it after that.  And they forgot the tubing decals the second time.

Paint was good though.

BJ are cheap in the scheme of things but Argos don't mess these things up.

dat

« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2019, 08:51:56 pm »
I've had a bit of framebuilding work done by them and wouldn't use them again.  Fork went in for a threadless steerer and came back with a spacing so narrow, I couldn't actually fit a front wheel in.  They rebrazed it but I never trusted it after that.  And they forgot the tubing decals the second time.

Paint was good though.

BJ are cheap in the scheme of things but Argos don't mess these things up.
I had quotes from a few others and in the end it was between BJ and Woodrup. BJ was £750ish and Woodrup was £1150ish. A few times I've had a few seconds of regret picking BJ but it goes away when I think about how well it rides. I'd also add that most people would be happy with the brazing but I'm very anal when it comes to bikes.

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2019, 09:06:26 pm »
Ah well, Argos would be £1500 for boring old Reynolds 525, and very few people would appreciate what you were riding; the decals are understated to the point of dullness.

« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:15:56 pm »
While I agree some of the colours on their internet colour chart are widely inaugurate, they have done two jobs for me and I cannot fault them.

First they built and painted one of their World Tour Frames carrying out a couple of requested modifications, the Flamboyant Green was exactly as I envisaged.

Secondly they restored and re-sprayed my old Galaxy Frame in a Flamboyant Red again as I wanted. I did take this frame into them myself and discussed the colour and lug lining with them.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home