Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 382609 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #3200 on: 14 September, 2023, 02:58:02 pm »
"More than half the cars on the street aren't mine"

Come on now, that sort of behaviour isn't all that unusual . . . it is the Forest of Dean after all ;D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3201 on: 14 September, 2023, 03:25:25 pm »
He sounds like a lovely person to be neighbours with.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3202 on: 14 September, 2023, 03:30:48 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3203 on: 14 September, 2023, 04:19:44 pm »
The bird's eye view shows it best.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3204 on: 14 September, 2023, 05:32:28 pm »
So if you have something illegal, just say you sold it to a Mexican, and you're in the clear.  Probably works better for things that aren't still in your garden, mind.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3205 on: 14 September, 2023, 07:19:32 pm »
So if you have something illegal, just say you sold it to a Mexican, and you're in the clear.  Probably works better for things that aren't still in your garden, mind.

YACF shows me a world I’d rather I didn’t know existed.

Why don’t the council just knock it down while he’s in clink and put a cost reclamation order on his bank account…

« Reply #3206 on: 15 September, 2023, 09:35:10 am »
The real question is why is he living in a shithole road in Cinderford where the average house price is £275,000?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3207 on: 15 September, 2023, 09:54:31 am »
The real question is why is he living in a shithole road in Cinderford where the average house price is £275,000?

In your question the words "road in" are superfluous

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3208 on: 15 September, 2023, 12:22:27 pm »
That was my thoughts, why a massive house with little or no land on a street like that if he is indeed a millionaire. Perhaps he likes feeling he’s better than those around him becasue he lives in a bigger house.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #3209 on: 15 September, 2023, 01:36:26 pm »
On street view he's got loads of off street parking, hes just a bell end being a pain in the arse to his neighbors.

I imagine because he's made a wedge he thinks he's clever and can do what he wants.

Knobber.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #3210 on: 15 September, 2023, 03:01:50 pm »
On street view he's got loads of off street parking, hes just a bell end being a pain in the arse to his neighbors.

I imagine because he's made a wedge he thinks he's clever and can do what he wants.

Knobber.

He just hasn’t made a big enough wedge to do what he wants

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3211 on: 15 September, 2023, 03:03:41 pm »
Perhaps it's just where he's always lived. It's not as if a million is exactly James Bond money nowadays, especially for an old person who might have made a lucky investment earlier in life.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3212 on: 15 September, 2023, 03:04:58 pm »

Knobber.

He just hasn’t made a big enough wedge to do what he wants
He seems to think he has, if the stories of him ignoring the planning laws are anything to go by. It seems it’s something the council are spending a not inconsiderable effort of disabusing him.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3213 on: 19 September, 2023, 01:29:03 pm »
I did have to have a little chuckle at this... it's so Wiltshire.

We complained about an ugly pole and now our entire street won’t get fast broadband – even though rest of town will

[Warning: Links to The Sun]
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3214 on: 19 September, 2023, 02:27:19 pm »

We complained about an ugly pole and now our entire street won’t get fast broadband – even though rest of town will

Whereas we have suitable poles already in place, but Gigaclear dug trenches down the length of the village to lay new ducts, that will involve digging up gardens to get FTTP from road boxes to the houses. I assume, although Openreach aren't interested in getting us FTTP they refused / made difficult access to their poles.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3215 on: 19 September, 2023, 02:40:16 pm »
From the road to a house they may use a mole rather than dig a trench. Frankly, although the immediate impact is greater (and will be felt until the entire footpaths are relaid), I think it's a better long term solution. It may well be that Openreach have a longer term plan to remove the poles.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3216 on: 19 September, 2023, 02:48:33 pm »
Considering there would be no profit gain in replacing overhead distribution with underground distribution I can’t see Openreach doing so without someone else footing the bill.

« Reply #3217 on: 19 September, 2023, 03:35:07 pm »

Whereas we have suitable poles already in place, but Gigaclear dug trenches down the length of the village to lay new ducts, that will involve digging up gardens to get FTTP from road boxes to the houses. I assume, although Openreach aren't interested in getting us FTTP they refused / made difficult access to their poles.

Gigaclear won't be allowed to access the poles belonging to open-reach as they are a completely separate network and don't use any open-reach infrastructure.

We have it and I seem to remember that the government fastershire funding specified underground cabling, but not quite enough funding to do a decent job.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3218 on: 22 September, 2023, 07:41:07 am »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3219 on: 22 September, 2023, 08:11:49 am »
£20 slippers? That’s a lot for Swindon.
It is simpler than it looks.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3220 on: 22 September, 2023, 09:41:14 am »
From the comments:
I wonder what's been spread in the air which caused this to happen? Chemtrails perhaps(?!)
Agent Orange is a chemical poisoning, and I fear that we are all being subjected to this in the air we breathe - this is evidence.

Where there's problems, there's profit. - "Make them all sick, then we'll sell them the medicine
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

« Reply #3221 on: 22 September, 2023, 10:14:06 am »
Until the sky turns green
The grass is several shades of blue
Every Member of Parliament trips on glue

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3222 on: 22 September, 2023, 10:55:30 am »
Maybe Ian Paisley Jr was in the area.

"Yes, Mr. Paisley, we know the grass is green, the daisies are white and the dandelions are golden but there's not a fucking thing we can do about it."

(C.f. Eire tricolour)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3223 on: 22 September, 2023, 03:34:34 pm »
Spalding trader hits out at Lincolnshire Police after spending 25 minutes on phone to report man injecting penis outside Lloyds Bank in Hall Place
https://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/man-seen-injecting-penis-with-drugs-in-town-centre-9331396/

ian

« Reply #3224 on: 22 September, 2023, 08:47:34 pm »
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23801181.swindon-pensioners-agent-orange-claim-grass-changes-colour/

Agent Orange wasn't actually orange  :facepalm:

There were agents blue, pink, purple, white, orange and – wait for it – super-orange. The 'rainbow' herbicides, which, of course sounds a lot better than war crime, environment destruction, birth deformities, poisoning, and mass starvation.