Author Topic: a new trike for cycleman  (Read 6590 times)

a new trike for cycleman
« on: 18 July, 2011, 06:50:07 pm »
a trice adventure with a 700c rear wheel disc brakes a 3/8 spram and triple giving 72 gears :o. arriving  from d tek tomorrow  :thumbsup: . there will be pictures  :).
i am all excited :).
the slower you go the more you see

Re: a new trike for cycleman
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2011, 09:02:06 pm »
72?

I thought that the 42 on my Hurricane was excessive!

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:27:31 pm »
Hurrah! :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:32:16 pm »
Excellent - the ice trikes really are well thought out.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:36:35 pm »
You could entertain yourself drawing up a gear chart and finding lots of different ways of making the same gear inches :D
Getting there...

tonycollinet

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:02:58 am »
You mean like this, don't you?

;D

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:07:55 am »
i think riding it is going to be more fun than doing charts .of course if anyone likes doing charts i can let them have the numbers to play with ;). i am expecting it to arrive mid to late afternoon  :D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2011, 04:27:48 pm »
What fun!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:53:42 pm »
some photos ,

it turns out it has a 9 speed cassette so 81 gears  :o ;D . kevin did not have a 700c rear mudguard so i will have to find one and he is going to send the light mounting bar and a couple of other little bits and pieces . the new seat is very comfortable and it seems to go well though due to the rain showers and the lack of a rear mudguard i only pottered around the block a couple of times . the short cranks 152" felt fine on this first ride so i hope that it is  dryer tomorrow   so i can find a hill to play on  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:02:06 pm »
Cool :)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:06:15 pm »
Nice machine, but more importantly, you got a trike out of Kevin?  What's the secret?   :o

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:36:19 pm »
Giving him money?

I got a trike out of Kevin three years ago and that's all it took!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:43:55 pm »
We've been trying to do that since April.   :facepalm:

« Reply #13 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »
tis just a matter of patience . it can be frustrating at times waiting for things to happen but kevin gives a good deal and has looked after me for many years now.i use the daily phone call method till he gives in and success  ;D.

i managed 14.6 miles today 7.8 mph moving and 193 feet climbing . i will have to change the chain set as it is 52 42 30 with 152 cranks and with my weak legs my bottom gear is not low enough. kevin is getting 44 34 24 for me with short cranks . the short cranks themselves are reducing the amount of knee flex ,  a good thing as my knees have been complaining on longer rides on 170's.
i will try changing the seat angle tomorrow laying it back a setting . i also need to track down a second had 700c mudguard as i got caught in the rain this evening and got a wet head.
i will made changes to the gear changers in due course as i do not like twist grips especially in the wet .
on the whole it is a great machine and i hope it is dry tomorrow  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 21 July, 2011, 11:06:55 pm »
Chris - behave, you have this beautiful trike and you are looking for a second hand guard ? re twist grips, do you wear track mitts, I find they stop any slippiness.
      Re Kevin, I would not deal with anyone else, he puts himself out to help above and beyond the call of duty very often. Advice freely given to the point where he saves you money when he could have made a bloody good bit of profit out of people.
                                                                         Quint

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #15 on: 22 July, 2011, 09:58:08 am »
i am very short of funds at the moment so a second hand guard is i can afford at the moment. :'(,but when the funds are available if can be replaced with a nice new if necessary  :).and i may have a 26"599ISO rim fitted to improve the choice of tyres.  no i do not use mitts at present .but if i keep the twist grips i will have keep buying new chains and cassettes in order to keep the indexing going and that is quite expensive over time . if i fit bar end shifters and run them in friction mode i get a quicker smoother change and can get many more miles out of he transmission  :).
agree about kevin slow but always worth the wait  :thumbsup:.

tonycollinet

« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2011, 09:40:42 pm »
We've been trying to do that since April.   :facepalm:

I've just added a pps in an email to Kevin :-)

PPS - you need to get Barakta's trike sorted out for her! :-)

« Reply #17 on: 22 July, 2011, 11:03:55 pm »
I'm sure Kevin has things in hand, dinna fret (as they say)  8)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #18 on: 23 July, 2011, 11:51:36 am »
went out for a little spin yesterday afternoon and did a 21.2 mile route across to hedgerly then up the hill and left along the lane alongside the m40 to the new beaconfield services where  a quick left and right onto the lane that head towards littleworth common .after .5 of a mile and a little decent i truned right up a pretty and narrow lane which took me towards the odds farm park road  .just before reaching the opf road a right after a little farm whose geese were running across the  lane . along this even narrower lane and right at the  t junction to the a40 then left aneft of the a road the purpose of this little potter, the b4440 down woburn green . this a 1in10 decent and i use it as a indicator of downhill speed potential of my trikes. 
the qnt and the anthrotech have both managed 40mph + on this road so i was hopeful of great things from the adventure as the gearing is higher than any .trike i have had before.
so into top and off i set . at around 26 i was still able to peddle but that induced movement in the steering so i stopped peddling and touched the brakes . my best speed was 37mph exactly . .when i have got the smaller chain set on i will have another go because i feel 40 + should be achievable  without problem .
so then i turned left up winsor hill .
strait into bottom gear . this is 1in7 and i could only just turn the pedals up it. at the top and right then left passing odds farm park and across to littleworth common where left and right and down pumpkin  hill and onto the burnham beeches road.4th right to east burnham then right band then left to farnham royal passing it's old pump on the green .rigth then left along a little lane that lead to the cinder track a path / cycle path leading into slough and back home .
ave speed moving was 8.1and moving time was2.36 . 770 ft climbing  :)

« Reply #19 on: 23 July, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »
Strange Chris, as I mentioned to you on the phone (last time we spoke), I am getting Barbara a 26" rear end after she found mine better rolling, better at climbing etc etc, we are not strong riders, Barbara especially having knee problems, mine is bloody quick (annoyingly Barbara was bloody quick on mine - dropping me), maybe you need to give yourself a short time to get used to the differences between the different machines, after all, your Q-NT was so run in (shall we say) that it probably had no rolling resistance at all
                                                                    ;D  :facepalm:  ;D

« Reply #20 on: 24 July, 2011, 10:13:37 am »
the ave speed might be a little up but what i was going for was downhill max velocity ;). the movement of peddling caused bar movement  and i stopped peddling and touched the brakes  .that lost me some speed .i am not doing any real riding at the moment till kevin comes up with the smaller chainset  :)

« Reply #21 on: 24 July, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »
I dunno, your whole set up has changed from the lower narrower Q-NT hasn't it, obviously the downward slopes are at a higher speed (for me) on my not hilly commute, I can now happily do the slope down into/through Summertown at nicely over the speed limit before I was around 1 to 2 mph below it.
      As you know I am not tall and am running the standard 170mm cranks with standard gearing which Kevin was worried might be to high for me, now while I am not up to Lee's standard I am (dare I say smoother) just going better with it.
      Anyway, with me downhill means the weight of the beer belly comes into play
                                                           ;D

« Reply #22 on: 24 July, 2011, 06:53:07 pm »
so i must try more beer then  ;D.. it's worth a try  :thumbsup:.

a little 17.3 mile potter in the sunshine round windsor park today. ave 7.8mph .584 feet of climbing . climbing crimp hill was very slow due to short cranks and over gearing but windsor park is worth the climb .there was quite a few cars about as there were polo matches being played.23.8mph dropping back down to windsor which was heaving with tourists . apart from the over gearing which should soon be sorted by kevin  ;), the adventure is very nice to ride . there is less road shock due to the big wheel and the extra ground clearance will be useful when i go bridleway exploring next. as i have got the lighting sorted out i will take and post some photos later  :)   

« Reply #23 on: 24 July, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »
      Anyway, with me downhill means the weight of the beer belly aerobelly comes into play
                                                           ;D

I have amended the terminology for you.....

« Reply #24 on: 25 July, 2011, 07:31:22 am »
 ;D