Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576305 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11275 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:25:21 am »
On that theme...

Neighbours (well, not really, their garden is one over from the bottom of ours) have been building some weird decking structure up their garden for months now. Looks awful and I'm not sure the point, other than provide what looks like an Olympic stadium venue for the local rat population. Anyway, I swear they spend entire Sunday mornings just hitting it with a hammer.

They also have what might be 50 dogs and a similar number of children. Bark. Bark. Interspersed with 'come on boy, come on' and the usual. All the time. We're quite a way away, if I were their actual neighbour, I'd have probably murdered them by now. The rats would dispose of the evidence.

And again, after a hiatus of many years, Bad Cat (who can't hunt for toffee) bought in another big fat mouse last night. Elusive bugger, got behind the wine rack (I had forgotten we had wine, it's probably aging worse than I am), so my normal tail-grabbing wrangling technique didn't work. I used a feather duster to evict into the porch where it probably still is. I'm hoping if I leave the porch door open it'll vacate. The last time we did this, the mouse refused to budge, partly through the fact it had eaten about a kilogram of cat food.

But I'm sure the upsurge in local rodents has nothing to do with that giant poop deck.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #11276 on: 04 July, 2019, 03:46:50 pm »
Microsith SharePoint  ??? :facepalm: :hand: ::-) :sick: :o >:( >:( >:(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #11277 on: 04 July, 2019, 04:15:39 pm »
Microsith SharePoint  ??? :facepalm: :hand: ::-) :sick: :o >:( >:( >:(

Have you discovered the joy that is Microsith Teams yet? It appears to be the bastard love child of sharepoint and facebook*  :facepalm: ::-)

* says someone whose exposure to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden can be measured in milliseconds

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11278 on: 04 July, 2019, 08:30:46 pm »
Yes.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #11279 on: 04 July, 2019, 08:43:59 pm »
Whoo, a software horror to which we're not exposed.

I did use SharePoint some years ago. I think I'm repressing most knowledge of that particular trauma. I think they rebadged the less worse bits in OneDrive (it seems to spit out occasional SharePoint links, like it's been fed something nasty).

The current IT policy is that we should keep all our files on OneDrive. They've not explained what happens if we happen to be anywhere without internet.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11280 on: 06 July, 2019, 10:55:33 am »
My Brompton has been in Dublin for three (edit: four) hours with only a tweaked chainring (and Al guard) but HK's MTB may not have even left Heathrow yet. Airline denies all knowledge of the bike's whereabouts. Dublin Airport is not that interesting!

Happily we taking the ferry/ train for the return trip.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11281 on: 06 July, 2019, 12:39:12 pm »
Oh dear! I see too many stories of bicycles failing to arrive.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11282 on: 06 July, 2019, 02:47:23 pm »
After five hours in the airport, HK is on the move towards her hotel. I missed the early train and the middle train, so now waiting for the late train. If the drizzle stopped, I might have enjoyed exploring Dublin but holing up somewhere eating and drinking till 18:00 is the plan. Any suggestions?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11283 on: 06 July, 2019, 02:56:15 pm »
Don't fall in the Liffey.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11284 on: 06 July, 2019, 02:59:47 pm »
Roger, wilco that!

I passed a surprising number of interesting-looking bike shops between Dublin airport and Heuston station.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11285 on: 07 July, 2019, 01:47:50 pm »
Sport.tvfranceinfo.com TdF coverage: 84 sec of adverts play perfectly, then the live feed cuts out after 20 seconds.  :( Hit refresh and if you're lucky you get another 84 sec of ads.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11286 on: 07 July, 2019, 05:33:21 pm »
Sport.tvfranceinfo.com TdF coverage: 84 sec of adverts play perfectly, then the live feed cuts out after 20 seconds.  :( Hit refresh and if you're lucky you get another 84 sec of ads.

Use P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM®'s coverage.  No advertising, guaranteed!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11287 on: 07 July, 2019, 07:14:05 pm »
LAwnmower height adjustment decided to self-destruct today.

May be recoverable, looks like just a pin has gone.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11288 on: 08 July, 2019, 03:16:00 pm »

Use P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM®'s coverage.  No advertising, guaranteed!

Yeah but there's no blood on the road unless Bethany's mum gets stroppy.

« Reply #11289 on: 11 July, 2019, 06:55:27 pm »
In a poor bit of planning on my part I am on the rota to prepare lunch at Church on Sunday. This means that I shall not be able to spend the day watching the only terrestrial tv cricket broadcast for years.   :facepalm:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11290 on: 11 July, 2019, 10:22:57 pm »
In a poor bit of planning on my part I am on the rota to prepare lunch at Church on Sunday. This means that I shall not be able to spend the day watching the only terrestrial tv cricket broadcast for years.   :facepalm:
While I feel sorry for your poor planning abilities, I can console you with the knowledge that I shall also miss the opportunity as I will be driving back from a long overdue visit to elderly parents in Yorkshire. With luck, though I’m not hopeful, the roads will be quieter as others take up said opportunity.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

essexian

« Reply #11291 on: 16 July, 2019, 06:43:46 am »
"Sleep is a naturally recurring state of mind and body, characterized by altered consciousness, relatively inhibited sensory activity, reduced muscle activity and inhibition of nearly all voluntary muscles during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep,[1] and reduced interactions with surroundings."

Hummm....sounds interesting.  might try it one night  :facepalm:

Well that's another night spent unable to lay down due to pain meaning the time was spent sitting in a chair watching the sun go down and come back up again a few hours later....anyone noticed how the period of darkness is getting longer: I have.  :(

I would just love to go to bed at 9pm and not wake again until 7am. Ah, to be normal.  :'(

essexian

« Reply #11292 on: 16 July, 2019, 08:50:39 am »
Two moans in one morning...don't stop me, I am on a roll!

This moan goes to my unemployable neighbour who, despite it being before 8.30am when I unlocked my office, is in his garden, radio blasting out some utter sh*t R&B, with a smell of not quite legal smoking substances floating our way. No doubt empty beer cans will find their way into our garden as they always do. He doesn't like them being thrown back over.... stuff him.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11293 on: 16 July, 2019, 11:30:02 am »
The Dude abides.

Meanwhile, we have the Junior Demolition League at it next door: not music, but one youth with a pneumatic drill and another with a sledgehammer, taking down an old barn.  Could feel the vibes coming up through the floor, through the breakfast table and into my elbows.

ETA: Late afternoon: one of the destructive youffs has now gone over the road and is tilling their veggie plot with a motocultivator. Oh the sweet peace of the country.

essexian

« Reply #11294 on: 17 July, 2019, 08:08:10 am »
How long does it take the average British worker to trim some bushes?

I ask as for the third morning running, "they" are doing the bushes in the social housing estate which backs onto my property. Having been around the back looking for kittens previously (and no, that's not code for something else) I am clear that there aren't that many bushes/trees which need trimming so why are they taking so long.

It also irritates me that they started work at 7.30am this morning when quite a few people will still be in bed/just getting their head together for the day. I do think there should be a: "No noise til the first cup of tea is down" rule!

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong, its not the workpersons over the back still trimming bushes, its one of my neighbours having their trees trimmed.  At 7.30am!!! This irritates me more than the above example as, as with the vast majority of people down this street, they are bloody retired so could have asked the tree fellers to come around at a reasonable time. What is it with retired persons? I know when I give up work in a couple of years time, I won't be rushing to get things done first thing in the morning!

Anyway, have my axe ready to go and help....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11295 on: 17 July, 2019, 09:00:51 am »
It might be the tree surgeons wanting to start early. I know it took four or five days to remove a large dead beech tree a couple of streets away. They started about 8 and finished chainsawing (probably still doing other stuff) around 4.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11296 on: 17 July, 2019, 09:03:11 am »
With kittens and trimmed bushes, that’s well over half of the internet.
It is simpler than it looks.

essexian

« Reply #11297 on: 17 July, 2019, 09:12:20 am »
With kittens and trimmed bushes, that’s well over half of the internet.

You've been looking at my internet history again!

And no, the amount of work they have will be finished by 10.30am so no need to start so early....unless of course they have another job to go to after this one.

Sorry, but making such noise at 7.30am is antisocial.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11298 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:24:25 am »
Agreed on the early start, especially in the summer when windows are likely to be open.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11299 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:54:22 am »
They shouldnt really be trimiming hedges at all until August if it puts nesting birds at risk.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain