Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 385777 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1575 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:05:02 am »
Some confusion as we saw the Southport Air Display participants while we were watching kites, and having a go at sand yachting at Lytham. Hard to tell between a Saab Viggen and a Typhoon at a distance.

I thought the P47 Thunderbolt in its D-Day markings might be a Hawker Tempest. The T33 Shooting Star might have been a Jet Provost. No idea what the Saab Tunnan might be. The BBMF included a Dakota.

As the Viggen last flew in 2007, it's unlikely to be participating in an airshow! I could understand a T37 being mistaken for a JP, but not a T33. BBMF have been running a Dakota for many, many years (and several other aeroplanes that have nothing to do with the Battle of Britain!).

« Reply #1576 on: 11 September, 2019, 10:46:57 am »
Some confusion as we saw the Southport Air Display participants while we were watching kites, and having a go at sand yachting at Lytham. Hard to tell between a Saab Viggen and a Typhoon at a distance.

I thought the P47 Thunderbolt in its D-Day markings might be a Hawker Tempest. The T33 Shooting Star might have been a Jet Provost. No idea what the Saab Tunnan might be. The BBMF included a Dakota.

As the Viggen last flew in 2007, it's unlikely to be participating in an airshow! I could understand a T37 being mistaken for a JP, but not a T33. BBMF have been running a Dakota for many, many years (and several other aeroplanes that have nothing to do with the Battle of Britain!).

Actually...

Displaying for the first time in Southport. the Saab Viggen, Swedish Air Force Historic Flight (SwAFHF), will make a debut appearance.

https://www.visitsouthport.com/airshow/information/product-catch-all/saab-viggen-swafhf-p456741
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1577 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:00:53 am »
I live on the flightpath to Warton, so I'm used to Typhoons, and we see them in the Lakes on walks. So the sight of the Viggen from beneath, as it turned over Lytham beach after taking off from Squires Gate was initially confusing, thanks to the delta with canards configuration. When the Typhoon lined up after taking off from Warton, I twigged. The Viggen seems to be a trainer variant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6knL6nvII0

A Typhoon does look very different of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbPyn0i83tM

« Reply #1578 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:44:56 am »

I thought the P47 Thunderbolt in its D-Day markings might be a Hawker Tempest.

To my knowledge, I'm not aware of any airworthy Tempests and a quick google search didn't reveal any. Air Leasing (Richard Grace, owner of the Grace Spitfire) has one under restoration, there's a couple in America also being restored and we might be lucky here in the UK as there is an ongoing attempt to restore a Typhoon over the next few years with a funding project considerably underway.

The P-47 is really quite impressive, the Ultimate Warbirds team (also part of Air Leasing) did a two lap formation practice here over Bentwaters the other week on their way to the Clacton airshow lead by the P-47. The noise woke us all up! It was made more interesting to me as I had met several of the guys operating them at Sywell when I did the Spitfire flight.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1579 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:10:45 pm »
Radio-controlled re-enactment dogfight seen on Saturday's ride on the forum camping weekend at Wellesbourne

There was also a frighteningly fast radio-controlled jet of some sort.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1580 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:51:08 pm »

I thought the P47 Thunderbolt in its D-Day markings might be a Hawker Tempest.

To my knowledge, I'm not aware of any airworthy Tempests and a quick google search didn't reveal any. Air Leasing (Richard Grace, owner of the Grace Spitfire) has one under restoration, there's a couple in America also being restored and we might be lucky here in the UK as there is an ongoing attempt to restore a Typhoon over the next few years with a funding project considerably underway.

The P-47 is really quite impressive, the Ultimate Warbirds team (also part of Air Leasing) did a two lap formation practice here over Bentwaters the other week on their way to the Clacton airshow lead by the P-47. The noise woke us all up! It was made more interesting to me as I had met several of the guys operating them at Sywell when I did the Spitfire flight.

I could tell that it was a radial by the sound. One thought was that it might be the RNAS Sea Fury, but that didn't fit with the D-Day markings. A Tempest II has a radial engine.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1581 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:32:00 pm »
3 x B2 landing at Fairford 1900 to 1930

Interesting approach path.  Normally inbound stuff comes in from a long way east, this evening all three came in west over Southrop and turned back over somewhere over Filkins.  Roughly clockwise.

Third one in did a touch and go for some reason - heard the engines light up again - did a very short an anti-clockwise circuit.

Thought there were only 2 on deployment, but there was no engine noise to indicate either of the 1st two in had performed a touch and go so think there must now be three. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1582 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:01:32 pm »
3 x B2 landing at Fairford 1900 to 1930

Thought there were only 2 on deployment, but there was no engine noise to indicate either of the 1st two in had performed a touch and go so think there must now be three. 

It's been three all along - see this report from a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2019/08/28/Three-B-2-stealth-bombers-arrive-in-Britain-for-exercises/2521567011703/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

fuzzy

« Reply #1583 on: 12 September, 2019, 02:14:00 am »
Radio-controlled re-enactment dogfight seen on Saturday's ride on the forum camping weekend at Wellesbourne

There was also a frighteningly fast radio-controlled jet of some sort.
I saw that in full size flying out of White Waltham a few years ago whe I worked at the school. Fantastic to watch. So slow and graceful when compared to WW2 and later speeds.

TimC

« Reply #1584 on: 13 September, 2019, 09:06:04 am »

Actually...

Displaying for the first time in Southport. the Saab Viggen, Swedish Air Force Historic Flight (SwAFHF), will make a debut appearance.

https://www.visitsouthport.com/airshow/information/product-catch-all/saab-viggen-swafhf-p456741

Ooh! Very cool! I had no idea that they’d managed to get one back in the air - that won’t be cheap to run!

« Reply #1585 on: 13 September, 2019, 09:33:31 am »
I thought that the Viggen was a Mirage until I saw the canards. It was a bit of a surprise to see it flying out of Blackpool rather than Warton. Saab were in partnership with BAe making Gripens for a while, but that fell apart after a bribery scandal over the supply of planes to South Africa.

TimC

« Reply #1586 on: 13 September, 2019, 11:25:13 am »
Which is a shame - the Gripen is a very good aircraft. I thought Blackpool was closed now?

« Reply #1587 on: 13 September, 2019, 01:19:55 pm »
Gripens are still being made, BAe are no longer partners. Blackpool still has flights to the Isle of Man and Belfast, but the main terminal has been demolished.

« Reply #1588 on: 13 September, 2019, 05:20:52 pm »
I'm pretty sure a Huey (accompanied by a smaller helicopter) just flew over my house.

I could hear The Doors playing in my mind.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1589 on: 15 September, 2019, 02:40:12 pm »
Two days ago, two of those bloody noisy Osprey things, at about 200ft altitude (i.e. less than twice the height of the trees) precisely over my house.  Piss off, Americans, go and annoy your own residents, and stop frightening our local horses, sheep and cattle.  I don't mind our own forces training at low level (but as far as I can tell, this area isn't approved for ultra low level flying), but other countries forces can just bog off.
Wombat

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1590 on: 15 September, 2019, 07:43:00 pm »
Bank holiday weekend, at the Shrewsbury festival. Hear NOISE outside, so rush out, to see rear end* of Dakota disappearing eastwards. Any knowledge?

*I assume the front end was still attached...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #1591 on: 16 September, 2019, 11:17:59 am »
Bank holiday weekend, at the Shrewsbury festival. Hear NOISE outside, so rush out, to see rear end* of Dakota disappearing eastwards. Any knowledge?

*I assume the front end was still attached...

If it's the BBMF one it had to make an unscheduled landing at Manchester yesterday after engine problems.

Yeah I know unconnected to Shrewsbury.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #1592 on: 16 September, 2019, 12:09:39 pm »
According to the site linked below, the BBMF Dakota was scheduled to appear at the Little Gransden Air & Car show on August 25, and at the Uffington White Horse show on August 26:

https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press19/bbmfschedule2019.htm

« Reply #1593 on: 16 September, 2019, 01:02:26 pm »
The Royal Air Force used a lot of US-made kit in WW2. The story of the Merlin engine is one of the most illuminating on that score. You're better off with a Packard or Ford of Britain engine, as they are built to mass-production tolerances, so the spares fit more easily.

While Rolls-Royce’s manufacturing techniques churned out very high quality engines, they simply didn’t jibe with Packard’s way of doing things (or Ford in Manchester for that matter). In his book “Not Much of An Engineer”, Rolls-Royce engineer Sir Stanley Hooker recalls his introduction to the matter with Ford:

“One day their Chief Engineer appeared in Lovesey’s office, which I was then sharing, and said, ‘You know, we can’t make the Merlin to these drawings.’

I replied loftily, ‘I suppose that is because the drawing tolerances are too difficult for you, and you can’t achieve the accuracy.’

‘On the contrary’ he replied, ‘the tolerances are far too wide for us.’ We make motor cars far more accurately than this. Every part on our car engines has to be interchangeable with the same part on any other engine, and hence all parts have to be made with extreme accuracy, far closer than you use. That is the only way we can achieve mass-production.’”

I've been looking for a good article on Merlins, and this is excellent, apart from the slip on metric, which is corrected in the text.

https://www.tested.com/art/makers/492418-packard-merlin-how-detroit-mass-produced-britains-hand-built-powerhouse/

« Reply #1594 on: 19 September, 2019, 08:08:58 pm »
Anyone at Duxford  this weekend?
I plan to be there on Saturday.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1595 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:36:52 pm »
soem 2-engined airliner body thing overhead today, too low and in the wrong place for Stansted.  Followed shortly by a Rivet-Joint again.  Didn't get to the camera in time
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1596 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:52:21 pm »
soem 2-engined airliner body thing overhead today, too low and in the wrong place for Stansted.  Followed shortly by a Rivet-Joint again.  Didn't get to the camera in time

Probably a P-8 Poseidon - there's been a shedload of NATO patrol and electronic intel aircraft in the air over the Baltic today.

https://twitter.com/stockotrader/status/1174746657017257984

via this thread: https://twitter.com/balticjam/status/1174759048538939392

ElyDave

« Reply #1597 on: 20 September, 2019, 06:41:59 am »
Could have been, it was 2 engined and grey, didn't spot markings though.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1598 on: 20 September, 2019, 07:30:45 am »
Jetfest at North Weald this coming weekend (27-29 Sept) might promise some interesting aviation around the M11 corridor though I don't see any mention of the Vampire that's stationed there but there is rumour of a Jaguar attending...  it's basically a glorified fly-in so no display flying, but might prove interesting nevertheless...

Confirmed aircraft list:
S=Static
F=Flying (Normal Operations)
T=Engine start and Fast Taxy
S&F = Static & Flying (Normal Operations

JetFest:
HAAF Westland Scout AH1 – XT626 (G-CIBW) S - Saturday Only✅
Royal Air Force Puma HC2 (tail number TBC)S - Saturday Only ✅
Bell UH-1 Huey (G-HUEY) S&F ✅
Hunting Jet Provost MK3 (G-BKOU) S&F ✅
BAC Omani Strikemaster MK82A (G-SOAF) S ✅ Flying TBC
BAC Saudi Strikemaster MK80A (G-RSAF) S ✅ Flying TBC
Hawker Hunter T.8.C (WV322) S ✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk3A (G-BWOT) S&F ✅
Blackburn Buccaneer S.2B XW550 (Cockpit Section) S ✅
Aero Vodochody L-29 Delfin (G-DLFN) S&F ✅
Aero Vodochody L-29 Delfin (G-BYCT) S&F ✅
Folland Gnat Tmk1 XR538 (G-RORI) S&F ✅
Folland Gnat T1 XR992 (G-MOUR) S&F ✅
Folland Gnat T1 XS104 (G-FRCE) S ✅
Folland Gnat T1 XR537 (G-NATY) S✅
Indian Air Force Folland Gnat F.1 E296 (G-SLYR) S&T ✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk5A (G-BWGF) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk5B (G-BWSG) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk3A XM424 (G-BWDS) S (F-TBC✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk3A XM479 (G-BVEZ) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.4 XR673 (G-BXLO) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T5P XS230 (G-VIVM) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T52 (XS228 or G-PROV) S (F-TBC) ✅
LIM 5 (Mig 17F.Fresco) S ✅
Aerospatiele Gazelle (G-CBSK) S ✅
Aerospatiele Gazelle (G-ZZLE) S ✅
Aerospatiele Gazelle (G-CBSI) S ✅
HPH 304S Shark (G-CLSH) S ✅
Aerobility PA28-161 (G-BSYY)) S ✅
Aerobility Tecnam P2002 JF S ✅

VintageFest:
Consolidated PBY Catalina (G-PBYA) S ✅ Flying TBC
Douglas C54 Skymaster S ✅
Douglas DC3 Dakota KP220 (G-ANAF) S&F ✅
C47 Dakota 'Drag Em Oot' (N473DC) S ✅
Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX TD314 (G-CGYJ) S&F ✅
Supermarine Spitfire MkIXT NH341 S&F ✅
North American T6 Mk.IIb Harvard FT391 (G-AZBN) S&F ✅
North American T6G Harvard 49-3209 (G-DDMV) S&F ✅
Taylorcraft Auster AOP.9.0 WZ706 or (G-BURR) S (F-TBC✅
Slepcev Storch (G-BZOB) S ✅ (Friday and Saturday only)
De Havilland Tiger Moth DH82a (G-AOZH) S&F ✅
De Havilland Tiger Moth DH82 K4259 (G-AMNO) S&F ✅
De Havilland Tiger Moth DH82 (G-PWBE) S&F ✅
Piper Cub (G-BILI)S ✅
Piper Cub (G-BOXJ) S✅
Piper Cub (G-BROR) S ✅
Piper Cub (G-BBLH) S ✅
Beagle Pup (G-AZFA) S ✅
Cessna BirdDog (G-JDOG) S✅
Thruxton Jackaroo (G-AOIR) S&F ✅
Percival Prentice (VR259) S&F ✅
Boeing Stearman N2S-3 Kaydet‘07539 - 143’(N63590) S✅
Boeing Stearman A75N1 (G-BTFG) S ✅ (TBC)
Beech 18 (G-BKGL) S ✅
De Havilland Dragonfly G-AEDU S ✅
De Havilland Hornet Moth G-AHBL S ✅
Miles Falcon G-AEEG S ✅
Civilian Coupe G-ABNT S ✅

ChipFest:
De Havilland Chipmunk WG308 (G-BYHL) S&F ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk 1350 (G-CGAO) S&F ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-HDAE) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-APLO) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-ATHD) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BBMN) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BCPU) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BBMO) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BCGC) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BXDN) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BARS) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-DHPM) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BBND) S ✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BCEY) S✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-AOJR) S✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-APYG) S✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BXGP) S✅
De Havilland Chipmunk (G-BXGL)S ✅

BullFest:
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-CBFP) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-BPCL) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-GGRR) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-CBEH) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-KDOG) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-BULL) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-BHXA) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-GRRR) S ✅
Regards,

Joergen

ElyDave

« Reply #1599 on: 20 September, 2019, 08:03:40 am »
My dad worked on half of those jets in 27 years in the RAF.  I wonder if I flew in any of those chipmunks as an air cadet?