Author Topic: Watersheds  (Read 1128 times)

alan

Watersheds
« on: 31 December, 2008, 08:09:18 pm »
I was chatting with my stepfather & Mum today about his rellies in Australia.It occurred to me that if my father had not been seriously injured in a mining accident we would have have emigrated to Oz in 1959.
My life would have been entirely different.
I would have been conscripted to serve in Vietnam :o

The accident also had far reaching consequences for my father.

So one event proved to be a watershed for a whole family.

The circumstances giving rise to meeting Marj seemed as nothing at the time.But  truly a watershed :thumbsup:

LE

Re: Watersheds
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
As a child my family (my aunt who brought me up, my real mum and dad and my brother) were emigrating to Canada.my father had farming experience and we were going out to Canada to farm. We were weeks from going and my mother changed her mind and didn't want to go, so we go.

I was about to go to Canada again a few years ago but my then boyfriend founf it hard to keep it in his pants, so we split up and I didn't go.

I wonder if I'm menat to go to Canada at all.

alan

« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2008, 08:28:51 pm »
My father's accident occurred 5 days before we were due to sail from Southampton. ???

« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2009, 07:39:08 pm »
My father's accident occurred 5 days before we were due to sail from Southampton. ???

He was still working that close to departure? A tougher world than we inhabit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

alan

« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2009, 07:49:01 pm »
He was on standby/callout.
He got called out on the Saturday(his employment was scheduled to end  next day) because someone else failed to clock-on for the Saturday noon shift.

The whole thing was,in retrospect, incredulous.