Author Topic: Memory-Map 6  (Read 5080 times)

321up

• 59° N
Memory-Map 6
« on: 11 December, 2015, 04:27:40 pm »
Memory-Map 6 is available...
...changes...
https://www.memory-map.co.uk/support/912755-Memory-Map-6
...download...
http://memory-map.com/download/Memory-Map_v601_b1155.msi

"Memory-Map 6 will install alongside existing Memory-Map V5 using a new desktop icon. This means you can continue to use Memory-Map V5 if prefer as the new Ordnance Survey 2016 maps will work in either version."

According to their newsletter email it will do AutoRouting...
"Create a rough route, even just a straight line A to B, and then choose to Optimise Route for Driving, Cycling or Walking and Memory-Map will create a more detailed route for you automatically. The online database is great for car journeys and being improved all the time for walking and biking"
... but I've not figured out how to do it yet.

Their email also said that due to changes in Ordnance Survey terms they are now able to add new features to Memory-Map 6 without you having to buy new maps.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Memory-Map 6
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2015, 05:22:20 pm »
Well, I downloaded Ver 6 and it found my OS 1-50000 map but not the other stuff (IGN France at 2 scales, some of Belgium and the OS Streetview)

At first glance it doesn't appear to do anything that Ver 5 does - no sign of the "routing" mentioned.

I shall keep it installed and see what happens when it's launched officially - rather annoyingly the desktop icon is exactly the same as Ver 5 ... the one hope that I have is that it cures the "grey tile" problem which gets progressively worse over time with Ver 5 where patches of map don't render  (It's a known issue that Memory Map themselves will not admit to ... to the point that they deleted all posts about it on their so-called support forum)

The single good feature so far is that the default save format is now gpx and not the MemMap mmo

We'll see . . .

Rob

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2015, 05:34:56 pm »
The sync to cloud option is new and works - I selected a route in Memory-Map on my PC and sync to cloud and it appeared on my Memory-Map android app.  I mostly use the Viewranger app though - I just have the Memory-Map app installed because the maps are newer (i.e. more recently purchased).

I don't think the autorouting is working yet.  Hopefully it will appear soon.

Memory-Map 6 loaded all my routes/tracks etc from Memory-Map 5 but not my purchased maps. 

No problems so far for me but it would be prudent to backup you Memory-Map 5 data before installing Memory-Map 6.

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2015, 05:40:09 pm »
... another bit of testing and the handshake when connecting my Garmin Edge Touring to transfer routes was faster - in V5 it sometimes took a couple of minutes to find the Garmin  (although that MAY also be a factor related to the upgrade to to Win 10 I did the other day ... that's certainly speeded up the PC for start up and close down)   

The cloud thing is of no interest to me - I have lots of maps on my phone and tablets but only use them like a "printed atlas" ... not routing etc. - the Garmin is the navigating gadget

I shall watch out for the routing to be introduced ... but God help us if it's anything like Garmin's attempts

Rob

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2015, 03:19:00 pm »
When I installed Memory-Map 6 alongside Memory-Map 5 it has created a separate .mmo user data file (a copy of the Memory Map 5 data file).  So initially they both have the same data, however when you make changes in one version it does not affect the data in the other version.  So if you want a track in both versions you have to import it into both.  An advantage of the data being separate when running the two versions concurrently is that they can be used to show different data (e.g. all tracks / tracks from this year : walking tracks / cycling tracks).

I need to check if the .mmo file format has changed, but it might be possible to update one version's data from the other by copying and replacing the .mmo file.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »
Version 6.1.0 has been released and auto-routing on the Windows software now works...
http://memory-map.com/Mapping_Software_Changes_Log.html
... get it here...
http://memory-map.com/Mapping_Software_Downloads.html

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2015, 03:19:07 pm »
The Memory-Map auto-routing for cycling seems to avoid hills by taking a longer route (compared with gpxeditor 'shortest' and 'optimum').  The Google cycling routing algorithm gave the same route as Memory-Map for the basic comparison test that I did.

It's a pity that the Memory-Map auto-routing feature requires an internet connection to work.  :facepalm:

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2015, 05:43:58 pm »
Hmm - disappointed with Cycle routing that I've tried - 3 x c20mile distances from my house in Stratford-upon-Avon gave routes that   a) followed canals where there's no towpath;    b) created a circuitous route that was bout twice the distance I normally ride on quiet lanes    c) used a non-existent ford (although that's a known issue with Mr Google's attempts at mapping)

Not impressed with cycling .... but driving seems to be pretty reasonable.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2016, 10:24:10 am »
UPDATE - Mem Map 5 started to do the "grey tile" thing again yesterday ... it seems to be an issue that emerges a few months after a re-install to cure it - so I switched over to using Mem Map 6 - so far so good with all my maps listed and working - just a fiddle to move the routes and tracks across.

One enhacement with Mem Map would be if the routes and/or tracks created were saved to a file in a specified folder as the default - rather than being saved within Mem Map but then manually saved to a folder.  On the plus side the default Save format is now .gpx

There's one question mark with the OS Streetview (not to be confused with Mr Google's Streetview) 1- 10000 map and the licence system in Mem Map - the map is free from the OS (it's BIG, about 9Gb) but Mem Map is at the moment suggesting it needs to be licenced.

Routing is still dubious ....

Rob

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2016, 05:06:32 pm »
WARNING :   It seems that if you have some versions of maps that worked in Mem Map V5 they may only work for a short period in Mem Map V6 in "demo" mode - when the time is up they don't work any more:-(     For them to work you need to buy another licence to run "classic maps" ....

Solution it seems, from Mem Map themselves, is to uninstall Mem Map 6 and reinstall Mem Map 5 when everything you had before should work.

That said the only benefit of Mem Map 6 seemed to be a faster start-up and (so far) none of the progressive grey tile issues - and the default save being to .gpx.

Rob

« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2016, 07:39:50 pm »
just downloaded v6.
as mentioned, it saves as gpx file, that's handy
my logo is `mountain peaks`, so not same as v5
bicycle routing. a joke is the best thing I can say about it, says it can`t do it when more than 10 waypoints. so tried a to b and let it fill in the rest.
like startrek, it goes where no man has gone before. shall stick with diy

« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2016, 07:48:24 pm »
on the verge of going back to v5
see if I get better routing without diversions into the wild green yonder
trying to get v6 to stay on route with a gpsmap 64, see other post