Author Topic: What is your pet doing right now?*  (Read 208941 times)

ian

Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Reply #1225 on: 10 June, 2019, 10:36:32 am »
I'm surprised they didn't just get the clippers out and give the cat a number 1, that's the usual response to manky fur. It grows back after a long period of hilarity.

Vets, like doctors, I presume subscribe to the must appear to do something school. It worse at the vets because you get a big bill.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1226 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:24:58 pm »
I'm grateful they didn't opt for the No 1: it would have left her very cold, even in this weather. It took months for her to have a reasonable coat in the place they shaved when she was spayed. (I presume that was a diathermy electrode contact patch as it was nowhere near any scar or lady bits.)

She's quiet but has had a fair breakfast. I've not attempted any medicines as:
ICnBA
She dines and shares food with Big Tom
I want her to eat well and she'd probably eschew anything strange, as she has with flea tablets.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1227 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:27:15 pm »
Yeahbut cats are experts at finding sources of warm.  Recently parked cars, for example...

ian

« Reply #1228 on: 10 June, 2019, 01:00:24 pm »
When LMC managed to mysteriously slice open her underside (we presumed she tried to wriggle over something sharp), they shaved basically the entire bottom half. When Bad Cat attempted to fly from the balcony into a tree next door and tore open her leg, that shaved that completely and a good half of her rear end. It took three entire days to stop laughing. It was really only a re-reading of the vet's bill that restored sobriety.

Never got either cat to wear a cone of shame. Bad Cat fell down stairs backwards trying to pull it off. Then got stuck dangling between sofa back and window sill. All in the space of two minutes.

And LMC got herself wedged under a car.

More trouble than they're worth.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1229 on: 10 June, 2019, 02:23:17 pm »
So the RSPCA won't do me for Cone of Shame removal?
That's a relief!

Blackie seems calm, plays with her Dreamies mouse, feeds OK and follows David round the house, as she's been wont to do.

I don't profess to be a cat expert but that seems OK to me.

She has not seemed to want to go outside today but it's raining and I wouldn't want to go outside either.

« Reply #1230 on: 10 June, 2019, 02:51:15 pm »
I always say a thank-you for the NHS whenever I visit the vet.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #1231 on: 10 June, 2019, 04:40:41 pm »
Unless they're licking and biting their injuries or otherwise likely to harm themselves, I wouldn't bother with the shame cone (and if the oil hasn't done him any harm by now). It was just stressing ours out – they've never worn collars (our last cat did, though the mean half-life of any collar was measured in minutes). LMC went mental which is why I had to extract her from under a car. Bad Cat would have killed herself.

As for vets, I think it's fifty-fifty whether they're better than your GP. My gf at university was a vet student. She once tried to resuscitate a friend's budgie with a mask. It was a good fit over the entire bird. I did wait until it was declared dead before I pointed out a label on the tank that read 'nitrous oxide.'

« Reply #1232 on: 10 June, 2019, 06:14:44 pm »
Ours? Smirking having Unlocked Achievement #1 - convincing both Mrs Ham & me that she hadn't been fed. Separately.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1233 on: 10 June, 2019, 06:16:04 pm »
Both cats have spent much of the day resting on the spare bed in David's study.

David said they were having a duvet day.

Which is fine.

« Reply #1234 on: 10 June, 2019, 06:54:31 pm »
If your weather has been anything like ours today, that would be very sensible behaviour for a cat.
Our loan cat was asleep on our spare bed all afternoon.  When he finally woke up and went to the back door, he wasn't impressed with the weather at all, but MrsC decided it was time to go home, so he had no choice.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1235 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:26:13 pm »
It has been wet, wet, wet here and a duvet day would not just seem wise for cats.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1236 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:29:03 pm »
I'm surprised they didn't just get the clippers out and give the cat a number 1, that's the usual response to manky fur. It grows back after a long period of hilarity.

Vets, like doctors, I presume subscribe to the must appear to do something school. It worse at the vets because you get a big bill.

David says the vet decided against a shave because the contamination was deeply ingrained close to the skin and might not be removed by shaving.

ian

« Reply #1237 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:56:34 pm »
Only recently appeared.

My wife was worried because LMC didn't come down for breakfast this morning. There were signs of cats through. The Bad Cat-sized intensely olfactory present left in the litter tray, the small pile of Bad Cat regurgitated food on the stairs, for instance. And the suspiciously Bad Cat-shaped bulge under the quilt on the bed in the guest room.

It seems that LMC had annexed Bad Cat's top-of-the-wardrobe penthouse suite thus causing much disruption in the feline force.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1238 on: 10 June, 2019, 08:19:10 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

It seems they usurp each others' favoured perches sometimes...

ian

« Reply #1239 on: 10 June, 2019, 08:59:46 pm »
Bad Cat has traditionally opted for the high ground, she's a climber, and generally that keeps her safe from stealthy LMC ninja attacks. What Bad Cat discounts is that it's not an inability to climb that keeps LMC on the ground, it's just the motivation. And also the fact that Bad Cat initiates 95% of the fights.

essexian

« Reply #1240 on: 11 June, 2019, 04:17:27 am »
As you may know, we have two pure white cats: Pearl and Purrdee with Pearl being the kittens mum. Its quite easy to tell them apart as Pearl is shorter and fatter than her daughter. Purrdee has also not quite grown into her tail yet as its very long for her body size!

Anyway, as we understand it, Pearl was abandoned when less than a year old while with kitten. Thankfully we have a wonderful postman who took the kittens in and rehoused them. According to the Postie, there were a couple of pure white kittens one which he kept as it was disabled while the other went to a house a street away.

Why am I telling you this..... well we believe the white kitten from Pearls first litter came to call yesterday morning before the rain as we had three white cats in the garden. This moggy is quite small and very shy but seemed interested in having a sniff around. Pearl ignored it while Purrdee wanted to play.

I have been told under no circumstances am I to try to get to know it.....it seems feeding 11 of them yesterday is sufficient according to CBH.....who knew  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1241 on: 12 June, 2019, 01:54:31 pm »
Blackie brought in a dead male juvenile rat last night; I don't think she's sick!
Big Tom is resting on the doormat having yowled at Luna, who appeared outside the door.

Our friend advises us not to encourage Luna's visits as she fears this could cause hostility between Big Tom and Blackie.

ian

« Reply #1242 on: 12 June, 2019, 08:30:38 pm »
Arrived home from the mothership. Miaow miaow. Fed Bad Cat her treats, because I'm sure I'm not the object of her affections. Do I get thanks? No. Immediately another litter tray bombing. She cannot be normal inside. Nothing should be able to make a smell like that. Holy demonic chocolate, Batman.

I'll be so glad when it stops raining and she can resume digging up the geraniums and making my wife angry.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1243 on: 14 June, 2019, 08:38:46 pm »
Blackie's almost back to normal following her oiling. She's removed most of the oil, except under the chin but still seems less fluffy than hitherto. She's letting David stroke her, which she didn't when she was at her oiliest, or after the Trip to the Evil Vet.
She's tucking into Felix right now.

Big Tom is on the doormat, probably trying to head Luna off, as David just fed him outside.

« Reply #1244 on: 14 June, 2019, 10:24:34 pm »
Tilly is lolling about happily because cheese.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1245 on: 15 June, 2019, 03:35:07 pm »
Earlier, she was getting her bleeding nose leather wiped with salty water having been making a nuisance of herself with one of the few neighbouring cats that actually minds it's own business.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #1246 on: 18 June, 2019, 10:04:20 am »
Magpie reinforcements have arrived. Last night, in response to an almighty clattering and squawking, I found Bad Cat sitting on the window sill, trying to bash a magpie perched on the other side of the glass. The magpie just stared back impassively. Come outside and try it, fluffball. There were another five outside.

With all the squawking I eventually had to go outside and talk to them. Firstly, I have a non-aggression pact with The Grand Council of Crows, negotiated some years ago atop Hilly Fields. They're not allowed to peck my head, and I'm not allowed to chase them with sticks for doing so. Magpies, as fellow corvids, are bound to this treaty as they're signatories to the Grand Council's accords. Yes, yes, they don't like this, and they may protest, but that's the treaty. And absolutely no one breaks a treaty with crows. I explain all this and they claim that, as non-humans and 'stupid furballs', our cats are not covered by any treaty despite the treaty clearly stating that it covers 'family and friends.' So now have to get the Grand Council involved, which is a palaver because you can't just turn up in the hope they'll see you, and it's not like they're on the internet. Well, they might have a WhatsApp group.

Bloody cat. I should make her negotiate her own treaty. I would, were it not for the fact that she can't talk.

ian

« Reply #1247 on: 18 June, 2019, 09:47:56 pm »
The magpies won't budge on the interpretation of the treaty. No furballs, they insist. More so, they claim Bad Cat started it, which I can believe. I'd have minded less having this discussion at 5.30am. Now I have to take this to the Rookery of Appeals, and hope the rooks are more minded to a liberal interpretation than magpies.

essexian

« Reply #1248 on: 19 June, 2019, 06:07:00 am »
Purrdee the kitten is continuing her training of us by meowing in the hallway at 5am until I woke and fed her.

Ever thought cats were in control..... :facepalm:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1249 on: 19 June, 2019, 08:45:10 am »
We got serenaded at 1am but to local fur balls, I can see (well hear) why we haven't added cats to a symphonic orchestra
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit