Author Topic: Can't walk too well but just discovered 'bent trikes :) advice for disabled ride  (Read 11934 times)

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
This is a great thread, so much information and I haven’t even got a trike as yet, but I'm working on that.

Hi numbnuts,

I'm glad you have found help and inspiration through this thread. I'd also like to thank everybody for the fantastic, supportive, encouraging and informative replies.

Like you I'm yet to get on three wheels (two isn't an option) but I'm determined to do so!

With a visit to the ICE factory where I was able to compare possibilities (and a lovely tour of Falmouth in Chris Parker's lovingly restored 1976 Saab :) ) behind me, along with advice offered here and from the all-knowing Kevin from D-Tek I don't think I could have found more support in reaching a decision as to what to get.

M
A post script for HMRC: the law is an ass. I can get full VAT relief on a motobility car that won't improve my health but can only get relief on the "assist handles" of a machine that will improve my mobility and health. Sort it out!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I suspect motability is a dodge and a half based on my very limited knowledge of UK disability rights history.  Basically the system was set up cos a bunch of young disabled from birth types living in Leonard Cheshire homes insisted on rights and freedom and fought for them (barricades and chaining selves to stuff and all) and the government agreed to various "speshul disability car schemes" which later evolved into motability...

But yes, as Scope research recently said, being disabled just costs you lots of extra money ALL the time!

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
YAY I'm riding :D
« Reply #52 on: 07 February, 2015, 04:32:45 pm »
Thanks to all for your advices. I'm now the proud owner of an ICE Adventure FS pictured below and purchased pre-loved from Laid Back Bikes in Edinburgh. Big shout out to everyone who offered advice (especially barakta, Kim & Auntie Helen  .. Mwah), Kevin from D-Tek who always had time and David from Laid-Back for his excellent service.

The machine was in as new condition except for the broken rear reflector (thanks Mr Postman) and a couple of minor scratches.

I know those of you who suffer disabilities will understand the absolute pleasure of rolling faster than walking pace under your own steam :D

XXX

Matthew

Yay !!!!!
Rust never sleeps

Most excellent news!
Enjoy sliding the tail end! ;)

Welcome to the dark side Matthew :thumbsup:

Go out and enjoy  :thumbsup:

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
thanks hatler, Jurek, loadsabikes, numbnuts

I'm loving the Dark Side - and certainly enjoying moving.

Will take a while for me to regain any level of aerobic fitness and to rebuild atrophied leg muscles but today I did two hill-climbs ... and two screamingly fast descents :) Also bumped into someone with a Greenspeed.

Everywhere I go heads turn and when I stop for coffee or a beer someone invariably wants to sit on it!

M

Congrats.

One simple mod if you have the standard 48-36-26 front triple.
There is just enough room to swop the inner ring to a 22.
It will give you another gear down for when the legs get tired going uphill.
I won't tell you how many hours I spent in that gear 12.5" going uphill my old Q.

Keep the ........  ;D

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
I have just seen this thread for the first time.
Glad to see you are happy with your choice.
Enjoy, as others have said.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Congratulations on your new trice  :thumbsup:.  Have you got the tryker tyres fitted ?.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Congratulations on your new trice  :thumbsup:.  Have you got the tryker tyres fitted ?.  :)
Let's hope not!

My take on Trykers.
They are ok if there are no glass/flint shards around.
The rubber compound is soft-ish, so excellent grip.
But in the damp due to the soft-ish compound, I found they picked up shards to easily and punctured.

I like Marathon Supremes.
Harder compound so slightly less grip, but I think they don't pick up shards as easily so probably slightly less risk of a puncture.

That's pretty much my experience as well, fast and grippy but too fragile in any kind of skog.

Mine have suffered a few punctures but have coped OK with sustrans route's and bridleways .they have a few cut's but after 2000miles are showing no real sign's of wear . so far so good but times will tell  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Re: YAY I'm riding :D
« Reply #65 on: 08 February, 2015, 10:43:04 am »
Thanks to all for your advices. I'm now the proud owner of an ICE Adventure FS pictured below and purchased pre-loved from Laid Back Bikes in Edinburgh. Big shout out to everyone who offered advice (especially barakta, Kim & Auntie Helen  .. Mwah), Kevin from D-Tek who always had time and David from Laid-Back for his excellent service.

The machine was in as new condition except for the broken rear reflector (thanks Mr Postman) and a couple of minor scratches.

I know those of you who suffer disabilities will understand the absolute pleasure of rolling faster than walking pace under your own steam :D

XXX

Matthew

A suggestion, swop the pedals and toe clips for a set of SPD or (IMHO even better) Crank Bros pedals, at some point your feet will slip out of the toe clips and could cause serious injury, having got this far that would be terrible
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That's pretty much my experience as well, fast and grippy but too fragile in any kind of skog.

On the gripping hand, they make cycleman much faster.    :thumbsup:

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
Thanks to all for the advice and encouragements,

At the moment I am slowly but happily grinding up hills (we have big one's round here - lot's of them!) and happily flying down them and along the flat. My face aches a bit from grinning.

The tyres on the trike are "Schwalbe Marathon Racers". Dave Mccraw says of them More rugged than Schwalbe’s Kojak slick, but also built to a higher standard, this should be a very interesting tyre if you’re looking for a capable all-rounder.. I have no idea what tyre is best for my aims but I'm not going to be racing anywhere anytime soon - I'm trying to rebuild aerobic fitness and muscle that has atrophied over ten years, so even if the tyre makes it harder work that is actually not a "bad" thing.

For now these tyres seem fine. I will be using the machine on the road, to go shopping , on cycle tracks (some paved some not), on green lanes, unsurfaced roads and off-road - often all in one trip so I wonder if there is an "ideal" tyre for such mutipurpose all terrain use. I do need some protection from easy punctures and I don't want to be constantly swapping rubber or stopping to fix a flat.

Also I have to actually pay off the bike (Thanks interest free credit card!) so being a bit careful about spending more money for the time being.

Quint - yes I was looking at the Shimano PDP M324 SPD that ICE sell - as I do a combination of round town and plan for longer trips. Not familiar with Crank Bros - will look into it.

Tigerbiten - thanks for the heads up on the potential to swap the inner ring for a 22 - so far I am not having any trouble with the gearing, despite the steep hill-climbs around here (and that's not even getting far out of town).

Yesterday I did a total of 5 mile round trip with 350ft total vertical climbing in that distance - legs were very wobbly at the end. It's going to be a journey from where I am now to anything resembling "being fit".

Kindly,

Matthew

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
For now these tyres seem fine. I will be using the machine on the road, to go shopping , on cycle tracks (some paved some not), on green lanes, unsurfaced roads and off-road - often all in one trip so I wonder if there is an "ideal" tyre for such mutipurpose all terrain use. I do need some protection from easy punctures and I don't want to be constantly swapping rubber or stopping to fix a flat.

Probably the Schwalbe Marathon (no 'Plus', 'Racer' or anything else).  It's a good general-purpose touring tyre, reasonably hard-wearing and I get maybe a puncture every couple of thousand miles on average (there tend to be more towards the end of the tyre's life).  Off-road grip isn't as good as a true knobbly, but that's going to be less of an issue on a trike, anyway - you'll get wheelspin rather than fall off.  Much like the Racers, but a bit more puncture-resistant.

The Marathon Plus is the canonical bullet-proof tyre for when you never want to puncture.  It's proof against all but the worst glass, hawthorn or incredibly bad luck.  Unfortunately, they're heavy, literally painful to fit and on a Sprint will give you a harsh ride that paradoxically feels like riding through treacle.  Good for commuting, folding bikes or people unable to repair punctures, but best avoided if you're low on fitness.

Quint - yes I was looking at the Shimano PDP M324 SPD that ICE sell - as I do a combination of round town and plan for longer trips. Not familiar with Crank Bros - will look into it.

Not a bad option, I reckon.  I wouldn't ride a recumbent without clipless pedals, but I have the luxury of being able to jump on an upright bike for short trips, so if I'm using one of the 'bents its for a longer ride and worth changing shoes (hence I use bog standard SPD M520s like everyone else).  If you want something that'll work with normal shoes too, they should do nicely.

Re tyres I find she who must not be named visits less with Marathon Supremes and a Big Apple on the rear (when you come to change them) but there again I keep my tyres up to max pressure which helps.

SPDs are good but need more careful setting up than the Crank Bros, downside with the Cranks are they have a brass cleat which wears so maybe the SPD are better in the long run, I use Crank Egg Beaters mainly because Barbara has the version with surround support and having the same means we can swop trikes if need (ver handy in Brittany when her frong changer refused to work stopping her in the middle of fast moving traffic  :facepalm:)

Getting your legs may happen quicker than you think, by the sound of it you are bloody determined so chapeau

Modified to add that Merlin sell some good stuff including the SPDs at a very good price
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re tyres I find she who must not be named visits less with Marathon Supremes and a Big Apple on the rear (when you come to change them) but there again I keep my tyres up to max pressure which helps.

Yes, Big Apples are another good option, especially on the trikes without front suspension.  Not sure there's as much benefit on the FS.

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
Thanks Kim, Quint,

You never cease to amaze with the speed and helpfulness of replies.

Pedals - the Shimano hybrid seems to fit the bill.

Tyres - I ended up with an Adventure FS - Full Suspension - in the end Kim: it's what first came on the market second user. I wanted a sprint but actually this is no bad thing as on the sprint I was likely to kill myself downhill very quickly. With the Aventure's higher position I'm a bit more careful and actually it's better for my back. Don't know if that affects your advice. For now I'll stick with the one's Iv'e got til they die or I find them problematic but the plain vanilla Marathon sounds good. What's your take on putting a Big Apple on the rear? (you just answered that while I was typing :D )

M

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've had a go with cycleman's Adventure FS:  What it lacks in high-speed cornering it more than makes up for in handling rough surfaces (and there's no shortage of those even without going off-road).  A very capable trike.

Sticking with the Racers until they wear out or piss you off seems like a good plan.  I know Auntie Helen (the forum expert on high-mileage ICE pootling) wasn't impressed with their durability, but the ride should be fine.

I found there was not a lot of difference between the Marathon Racers and the Marathon Supremes.
I prefer Supremes but will quite happily run Racers.

I'm another who runs Supremes in front and a Big Apple on the back.
I found that the Big Apple has a little bit more depth of rubber than the Supremes.
As I kill the back tyre by getting a lot of wheel spin going uphill in the wet, the extra depth of rubber helps.

Edit:- The best place to buy 406 tyres is the "West Country Recumbents" small tyre shop.

Edit:- The best place to buy 406 tyres is the "West Country Recumbents" small tyre shop.

Definately    8)