Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 588946 times)

Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #4000 on: 22 April, 2019, 10:02:04 pm »
Bikepacker, was that you between Worcester and Pershore this afternoon?

« Reply #4001 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:47:15 pm »

« Reply #4002 on: 09 June, 2019, 09:44:24 pm »
I think Kim @ LetsRide Birmingham near St Martin's.  That or someone else on something that looked suspiciously like a streetmachine.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4003 on: 09 June, 2019, 09:47:00 pm »

« Reply #4004 on: 09 June, 2019, 11:01:39 pm »
Took the Speedmachine and #1 child in along the NCN5 round LetsRide and back along the blue route on Bristol rd.  Thought there were less inept cyclists in town than last year (just the one overtook me to then stop on the uphill because his small child had been left behind) and that the Bristol rd blue route is good for its intended audience of peoplewhoaretooscaredtocycleonbristolrdwithcars.  We were so lucky with lights we thought it might be magic. Time will tell whether/howsoon the route gets covered in leaves and glass.  Agree with you about the lack of joining up with NCN5 in town - close, but no cigar.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4005 on: 09 June, 2019, 11:27:42 pm »
I saw me on the highlights of the England vs Bangladesh match yesterday.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4006 on: 09 June, 2019, 11:44:48 pm »
the Bristol rd blue route is good for its intended audience of peoplewhoaretooscaredtocycleonbristolrdwithcars.

The intended audience is everyone who cycles:  The BCR people actually listened to feedback that providing poor-quality shared-use-pavement infrastructure for people who don't want to mix with cars, while expecting faster cyclists to use the carriageway (perhaps with the 'help' of magic paint) was the worst of both worlds, and that we'd rather the money be spent on a smaller amount of high-quality properly segregated infrastructure.

As such, the key question is whether it's good enough for less able cyclists (including unaccompanied children) while being sufficiently attractive for the lycra brigade.  I'd say it's a definite win on the former, and just about scrapes through on the latter - while it's not too bad for sight-lines, side-road priority and wandering pedestrians, there are a lot of tight corners and you do spend more time waiting at traffic lights than you would on the main carriageway.

As someone who's not usually afraid to mix with the cars on the Bristol Road, my main personal concern is that it's good enough not to be an inconvenience, given that we will now no doubt receive harassment for not using it.  I'll have to ride it a few times to get a feel for how fast it actually is, but I expect that using it will trade maximum speed for more consistency, as you'll be able to ride past the congestion easily in rush hour (in a way the previous shared-use pavement didn't really facilitate, because you couldn't maintain a decent pace on it).

« Reply #4007 on: 10 June, 2019, 10:35:59 am »
I saw me on the highlights of the England vs Bangladesh match yesterday.  ;D

Always a good sign when you can still recognise yourself!  (I thought I'd caught a glimpse of myself on a shop window TV the other day; turned out to have been Paul Newman......)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4008 on: 14 June, 2019, 04:44:12 pm »
Who's that forumite from a few years ago. Zimbabwean, lives in Sarf London, gives/gave skating lessons by the Albert Memorial?  Anyway, is he the co-star of this bit of Youtube goodness, as discussed, apparently, on the Jeremy Vine show?

https://youtu.be/aA4Nw4sDT4U
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4009 on: 14 June, 2019, 04:45:32 pm »
Who's that forumite from a few years ago. Zimbabwean, lives in Sarf London, gives/gave skating lessons by the Albert Memorial?  Anyway, is he the co-star of this bit of Youtube goodness, as discussed, apparently, on the Jeremy Vine show?

ETA: having read in another thread, yes it is. Wendy. Used to be something mikey years ago.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4010 on: 14 June, 2019, 07:17:14 pm »
Mike Van Erp in RL.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4011 on: 15 June, 2019, 05:10:19 pm »
Don’t know if it was a forumite but I saw a rider in a green AUK jersey heading east along the A66 cycle path from Keswick towards Penrith this morning - also with routesheet on the handlebars, though I couldn’t see a likely calendar event they would have been riding.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rob

« Reply #4012 on: 15 June, 2019, 08:03:01 pm »
Cygnet, heading in opposite direction in a bunch as I got to Herne Hill velodrome this morning.

« Reply #4013 on: 23 June, 2019, 08:40:16 pm »
Blue Orbit tandem, both riders wearing VC167 jerseys, riding along NCN 74 near Abingdon.

Spotted them just after pulling off the M74 at J13 for a cuppa and a snack in a layby on the B7078, Anyone of this fine parish?

« Reply #4014 on: 23 June, 2019, 08:59:12 pm »
I think Julian and Steve are riding to hell and back Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool.

« Reply #4015 on: 23 June, 2019, 10:23:13 pm »
I think Julian and Steve are riding to hell and back Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool.

I rode a good portion of that route a couple of years ago when doing a Helensburgh to Calisle ride.  They picked a terrific day for it :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4016 on: 24 June, 2019, 05:45:40 pm »
Spotted by proxy.  I was outside, painting my railings,  when a chap who used to run a local pulled up on his bike. (Took me a moment to recognise him as I'd not seen him on a bike before)
Meddyg says hello, he boomed at me.   :thumbsup:

Hi Meddyg.   :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #4017 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:42:55 pm »
Spotted someone in a green yacf jersey leaving the Medway City Estate this eve?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #4018 on: 07 July, 2019, 10:35:09 pm »
Martin, in Lewes earlier. He looked fairly confused at my nod of hello and had someone with him so i carried on.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4019 on: 22 July, 2019, 04:13:01 pm »
Possible forumite in PBP jersey spotted heading southbound on Exe estuary trail just beyond Topsham on Sunday afternoon?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4020 on: 23 July, 2019, 06:54:05 am »
Spotted someone in a green yacf jersey leaving the Medway City Estate this eve?

Ah! That was me , that was  :thumbsup:.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4021 on: 25 July, 2019, 02:47:46 am »

Mikey indeed. Oh, I did enjoy that!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4022 on: 25 July, 2019, 03:27:09 am »
And to add---not having had the sound on for work reasons---that march back with the copper: tell me the knob asked where the sign was to keep left.

"That'll be this one here, sir. Not exercising due caution, were we?"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4023 on: 25 July, 2019, 06:53:22 am »
Not sure of he still visits here, but ran in to Gursh around New Malden yesterday afternoon.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4024 on: 25 July, 2019, 06:33:59 pm »
What on earth were you doing in New Malden ?
Rust never sleeps