www.honc.org.uk

border-rider

Re: HONC
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:10:22 pm »
Damn - I meant to try this this year since I'm not audaxing.  But I forgot :(

« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:31:26 pm »
Missed my chance this year :(

Entries were full by the 12th of January.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Si

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2008, 11:01:41 am »
Quote from: MV

Damn - I meant to try this this year since I'm not audaxing.  But I forgot

Missed my chance this year :(

Entries were full by the 12th of January.

Bad luck - feel free to come along and follow me if you want to do it, I'll be on the 100 but I won't be going fast.  As it's all on public land there's no reason why you can't ride it.... ;)

Anyhoo, Blade, at least if you are not there it means I won't fall off at the top of the first hill when someone unexpectedly shouts my name  ;D

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 11:35:00 am »
Oooh, I'm tempted to tag along.  I've got a suitable bike (I think):

Si

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:29:10 pm »
Yep, many cyclocrossers and SSers there over the last two years... so your fixie would work well, plus it's not too technical so less chance of pedal snagging than on some off road rides!

If there are enough interested parties then I could try to preserve the route map and do a yACF ride later?

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:32:09 pm »
I'd be interested in a yACF version

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:32:33 pm »
An' me. :thumbsup:

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:35:19 pm »
Definately interested in an ACF version.  I booked for last year but couldn't go due to not being able to read a train timetable properly (hint: if an event is on a Sunday, look at the Sunday time table)
Could I request the ACF version be held on a Saturday so I can actually get the train.
I'm doing the Harlequin Hack on Sunday, Mal: you should come along! :)

Sophie Days.

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:14:10 am »
Chris - I would take the mudguards off; some of the tracks are a bit crappy and I think they would choke up. I've certainly taken them off my tourer whenever I've done it. Apart from that it's been no problem doing it on slightly knobbly cross tyres.

Is the route all on public access? I thought some was on private land. Worth checking before organising an YACF version.

Si

« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:03:46 pm »
I've the 2006 map in front of me and it does all seem to be on public roads, BWs and other public rights of way.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:15:57 pm »
I'd suggest (having ridden it) that a cross bike would be pretty much perfect for the HONC. That or a race-whippet hardtail.

bikenerd

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:41:29 pm »
I'd suggest (having ridden it) that a cross bike would be pretty much perfect for the HONC. That or a race-whippet hardtail.

How about a space frame Moulton?  :evil:

Dave

« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:49:42 pm »

How about a space frame Moulton?  :evil:

Why not. You could do it on a fully bling Spesh Tarmac S-works if you really wanted  :D
And I've seen plenty of people complete it on gas-pipe BSOs too  :thumbsup:

Rollo

« Reply #14 on: 14 April, 2008, 06:29:23 pm »
I was overcome by laziness and didn't ride  :-[
A yACF version is appealing though.  There's MemoryMap and Tracklogs files of this year's route on the HONC website.
Perfectly doable on a fixie.  I did it on my Pompino a few years ago.  Get the gearing right and the only walking is on the first climb where there's usually such a bottleneck that nearly all 1000 riders are walking.

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:13:21 pm »
Aww, man - that's two of you who didn't ride, and I could have had one of your places. >:(  One of you definitely should organise a yacf version soon. :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:15:47 pm »
Suitable for a Pompino?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Rollo

« Reply #17 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »
Suitable for a Pompino?

Perfect for a Pompino :)

Si

« Reply #18 on: 15 April, 2008, 11:54:28 am »
Both me and my mate DNSed...due to differing illnesses  ::-)

Defo going to do it later in the year, although I prefer doing it in last year's direction (anti clock wise) rather than this year's.  I'm happy to try and lead if anyone wants me to....Not sure about lunch stops - I believe that there is a pub at Guiting Power but don't know what it's like.

« Reply #19 on: 30 July, 2008, 10:35:34 pm »
I've done the short and the long course in previous years on a hardtail mtb.  I was thinking about doing it next year on the tandem with MiniQ (the short course).  If we stick knobblies on the Landescape that should be ok, but I reckon we'll be pushing it up Coombe down.

Did anyone see anyone else on a tandem this year, or are my plans complete folly?

Q

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2008, 01:06:26 am »
what are the off road sections like ?

Si

« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:22:22 am »
Mostly quite tame.  Your average BW, farm track or animal track across a field. Can get somewhat muddy after heavy rain.  Sections can get a bit wash boardy if it's been dry. 

bikenerd

« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:49:25 am »
I'm thinking of doing it next year on a Pashley Moulton APB, which could be, erm, fun! :)
As long as I can get some Magura brakes for it, as the Tektro Oryx cantis are a bit poor.
(Attendance depends on the date and the date of the Harlequin Hack.  Would be very interested in a yacf version.)

Si

« Reply #23 on: 13 November, 2008, 12:02:04 pm »
My plans to ride it were wiped out by injury and ditto for going back later in the year and doing it as an ad-hoc.

Next year, body allowing, I'm planning to do a version of the route but not as the main event 'cos I don't see why I would want to pay £10 to get stuck behind 1000 other riders on the first hill as they wobble back and orth across the track when I already have the route.  Like-wise, doing it as an ad-hoc means that the tracks will be less churned up. 

I have a map and vague memories of the route and will be happy to have some yacf company on the ride. I'm probably going to ride down the day before, camp some where, do the ride, camp that night and then ride home the day after.  Pace will _not_ be fast.  Pubs might be involved.

« Reply #24 on: 13 November, 2008, 01:48:02 pm »
I've not done it myself, for too many bodies reasons, but I gather it's a different route each year, and that the whole route is not necessarily public right of way. You can go anywhere if you get permission first.