Author Topic: Garmin Edge 530, 830  (Read 2902 times)

Garmin Edge 530, 830
« on: 24 April, 2019, 07:08:23 pm »
This all sounds mostly very good. Looks like the Garmin cycling GPS software people have had a good kick up the hole:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

Re: Garmin Edge 530, 830
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2019, 07:15:53 pm »
Yes, the 530 looks interesting!

« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2019, 09:23:33 pm »
Nicked from the above review:

The 530:
– Increased battery life from 15 to 20 hours, and to 48 hours in battery saver mode
– Significantly increased processor speed: Results in much faster route calculation (see videos)
– Maintained complete on-board turn by turn map database for your region
– Added WiFi: Used for syncing of activities/metrics/routes (not during ride)

The 830 has that plus:
- Touchscreen (thankfully different than the older Edge 820 touchscreen)
– Address-specific routing, whereas on the Edge 530 you can’t enter a street address
– Searchable points of interest database, for finding food/monuments/hotels/etc…
– Edge 830 has four less buttons than the 530, since it’s a touch screen (and also has some slight differences in user interface, since you can touch it – most easily seen in the mapping pages)

The biggest change is that it all seems to actually work. I doubt if I would have bought the Elemnt if these had been available at the time.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2019, 11:09:13 pm »
Everything works fine for DC Rainmaker. Real world reliability remains to be seen...

But some interesting new features anyway. It can count how many jumps you do, and how far. 😎
The clip on battery pack looks quite neat, should be a better option than USB cables. Though presumably limits what sort of mounts you can use. And rather expensive.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2019, 09:43:26 am »
The battery pack (and connectors) are in addition to USB charging, not instead of it. So any USB charge bank or mains charger will do the job, as before.

I was kind of hoping never to buy a Garmin ever again. But this does look rather tempting, and the competition doesn't seem to have sorted out its issues.....damn you, Garmin!

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2019, 10:33:15 am »
You need a special mount for the extra battery on the 1030 - it clips to the underside of an extended out-front mount, with the head unit clipped in as normal on the top. I assume something similar for these units.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2019, 05:45:47 pm »
Also of note, both the 830 and 530 and the new Garmin Cadence and RPM sensors finally add Bluetooth support. This means that things like the Bluetooth-only Polar H1 Heart Rate monitor, which some people (well, me at least) use for it's compatibility with gym equipment, will finally be able to work with Garmin bike computers, and Garmin's sensors with Bluetooth-only computers (e.g. Polar?)
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2019, 06:40:13 pm »
Also of note, both the 830 and 530 and the new Garmin Cadence and RPM sensors finally add Bluetooth support. This means that things like the Bluetooth-only Polar H1 Heart Rate monitor, which some people (well, me at least) use for it's compatibility with gym equipment, will finally be able to work with Garmin bike computers, and Garmin's sensors with Bluetooth-only computers (e.g. Polar?)
The Polar H1 doesn't support Bluetooth.
But the Polar H10 and OH1 do. And also support Ant+ with the latest firmware, so you can connect them to most Garmin bike computers anyway.

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2019, 09:42:01 pm »
The Polar H1 doesn't support Bluetooth.
But the Polar H10 and OH1 do. And also support Ant+ with the latest firmware, so you can connect them to most Garmin bike computers anyway.

Sorry, you're quite right, it was the H10 I meant (and which I have). I didn't actually know it could support Ant+, will have to investigate how to update the firmware!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2019, 09:43:41 pm »
Oh I have the H10 great if it now also supports ANT+ then I can use with my old Garmin 500 just to show HR. I use an ETrex for Nav. Wonder what the 500 battery life is like with GPS turned off?

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2019, 05:21:50 pm »
Requires Android 5 or later to install the version of Polar Beat with the Ant+ update.  Have rooted phone now to find an Androud 5 rom I can install.

« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2019, 03:05:43 pm »
I wonder if the 530 has turn-by-turn navigation, for a downloaded gpx track only, with no autorouting.  i.e. more than a 'breadcrumb trail', and without the unpredictability of mid-ride garmin generated routes.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2019, 09:51:53 am »
I doubt if I would have bought the Elemnt if these had been available at the time.

And I even further doubt if I would have bought it if I had known Wahoo were about to bring out a device with a colour screen and better routing capabilities  :'(