Author Topic: ebay selling with pickup  (Read 1640 times)

ebay selling with pickup
« on: 12 March, 2019, 09:04:16 pm »
Someone bought my Brompton on ebay, paid full price by paypal and wants to collect. How do I protect myself from a chargeback?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Re: ebay selling with pickup
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:07:52 pm »
Take lots of photos of them examining it? Video?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:09:28 pm »
That's a good idea.

They have zero rep on ebay and unverified on paypal. I am considering refunding and asking for cash.

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:27:18 pm »
Ask them to bring a driving licence or passport and also prepare a document of collection and get them to sign it. Does EBay have any advice on this?

« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:29:52 pm »
Never allow a buyer to pay by Paypal and collect in person. If they did, they can claim a full refund from Ebay or Paypal if they say they never received the goods. The only proof accepted by Ebay that a buyer has received the goods is a tracked delivery that has been signed by the person receiving the goods.

If a buyer wants to collect, only accept cash. If they've already paid by Paypal, only send it by a tracked and signed delivery service.

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:38:30 pm »
Ask them to bring a driving licence or passport and also prepare a document of collection and get them to sign it. Does EBay have any advice on this?

The dispute procedure is very automated so doing anything outside standard procedure (which normally means a tracking number) is asking for trouble. I'd second hubner's advice.

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:45:24 pm »

They have zero rep on ebay and unverified on paypal.

And wants to pay by Paypal and pick up high cost item that sells easily = scammer.

Ben T

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2019, 11:22:32 pm »
Never allow a buyer to pay by Paypal and collect in person. If they did, they can claim a full refund from Ebay or Paypal if they say they never received the goods. The only proof accepted by Ebay that a buyer has received the goods is a tracked delivery that has been signed by the person receiving the goods.

If a buyer wants to collect, only accept cash. If they've already paid by Paypal, only send it by a tracked and signed delivery service.

+1 just ask for cash on collection. Better anyway than PayPal, which is an evil that is only necessary if the buyer is remote.

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2019, 08:05:20 am »
Thanks, I will do exactly that.

I think the buyer is likely to be genuine, he initially asked me to post it. In which case, cash should be no problem. We'll see.

« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2019, 03:17:20 pm »
He was a genuine buyer, he collected it today and paid cash. He had offered full price, so I gave him the equivalent of the paypal fee as a discount - better that he has it rather than paypal  :)