Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463750 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2975 on: 24 October, 2019, 07:59:42 pm »
I had an ERCP some years ago.  The propofol messed up my perception of time a bit, but spectacularly failed in the intended effect.  The scope down the throat was much less unpleasant than being held down at the right angle with my arm behind my back over an x-ray table, or the second or so of acute pain as they cut into the bile duct.  At which point the severe pain I'd been in for over a week stopped abruptly, so I'm not complaining!  It hurt to speak afterwards, so I was apparently fingerspelling at high speed in USAnian[1].

If they're only going to have a look around your stomach, you won't have any of those nasty bits.

Hope it's nothing serious...

[1] My left arm being preoccupied with a potassium chloride drip, which is also less fun than an endoscope down your throat.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2976 on: 24 October, 2019, 08:22:51 pm »
Good luck cycleman, hope they find the cause and can treat it. I hear the procedure isn't nice, but it's not the hideous-est thing either.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2977 on: 24 October, 2019, 09:36:24 pm »
My experience was of general discomfort, but not pain - good drugs.
Only side effect was general belchiness for a few hours from the stomach inflation. I took the bus home.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Chris S

« Reply #2978 on: 24 October, 2019, 10:01:11 pm »
My experience was of general discomfort, but not pain - good drugs.
Only side effect was general belchiness for a few hours from the stomach inflation. I took the bus home.

You get entertaining fartiness when they scope the other end too - which would make you really popular on the bus home.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2979 on: 24 October, 2019, 10:39:31 pm »
Cycleman, think of this: on the 12th of November 101 years ago, peace had returned to the trenches. Pacifying your trencherman's stomach should be easy after that!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2980 on: 25 October, 2019, 08:46:55 am »
I've had 3 endoscopes, all with just a spray down the throat. Not particularly pleasant, fairly quick, not painful. Uncomfortable and can be panic-inducing. A bit like having a dentist drill your teeth - think of something else, it will be over in a less than 5min start to finish.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2981 on: 25 October, 2019, 09:15:17 am »
I've had 3 gastroscopies too, twice without any kind of painkiller and once with a general anaesthetic. The last was by far the most agreeable but they kept me in until the evening and I wasn't allowed to drive home. The first two times I was simply held on the couch by a nurse built like Bertha Bulkhead and restrained when I gagged.  The most annoying bit was that I couldn't see the monitor while they were doing it.

Re the omeprazole, I read a couple of weeks back that taking PPIs long-term can lead to the stomach producing more acid to compensate. It's a barrel of laughs & no mistake.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2982 on: 25 October, 2019, 09:18:23 am »
Thanks all of you. I intend to play the weak and feeble pain adverse wimp and hope for the best  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2983 on: 25 October, 2019, 01:13:18 pm »
The most annoying bit was that I couldn't see the monitor while they were doing it.

Ohgod, yes.  When will they learn?

(I suspect there are two types of people: Those who want to see the monitor, and those who very much don't, and the latter are more likely to give the medics cause for concern.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2984 on: 25 October, 2019, 01:19:34 pm »
Having a stent put in is great. Vast screen, easily visible. First time around the surgeon let me keep my specs on, too. Not the second and third times, though - that was frustrating.

« Reply #2985 on: 28 October, 2019, 08:45:36 am »
Metronidazole may be clearing up my tooth socket infection, but the nightly showing of the strangest dreams is very, very unwelcome.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #2986 on: 28 October, 2019, 01:48:46 pm »
Well i spent the night upchucking every half hour from 11pm to 3am.  :sick:
(click to show/hide)

Just hope that it wasn't the food I served 40 people and that any virus was not contagious as no symptoms.

Light food and plenty of fluids are the order for today.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2987 on: 29 October, 2019, 09:46:58 am »
Headache & nausea this morning - interaction between Metformin and Mimolette cheese.  I can usually tolerate hard cheese two or three days in a row: this was just day 2 and I didn't have Metformin on Sunday because I was riding so I thought I was safe, but right now I feel like shit warmed up on a shovel.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2988 on: 29 October, 2019, 10:04:56 am »
Any idea what causes that, as fatty cheese will slow the carb absorption, know as the pizza effect.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2989 on: 29 October, 2019, 10:28:37 am »
According to my GP all hard cheeses contain toxins, some more than others.  Metformin does walk rather heavily on the liver so he & I assume it's that - crise de foie*.  I've had a much worse reaction with durian, some varieties of which can be lethal in combination with alcohol. I used to love the stuff but I don't eat it any more. Soft cheeses are OK, at least in small doses: The Rules allow me 30g of Camembert/day.

* not to be confused with crise de foi - see Teilhard de Chardin et al.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2990 on: 29 October, 2019, 10:33:28 am »
Incidentally, I've just found out that the plasma half-life of Metformin is 6.2 hours but the elimination half-life is 17.6 hours. This implies that if I want to go cycling tomorrow I should knock off the stuff the evening before at least.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2991 on: 29 October, 2019, 11:54:50 am »
Is that normal metformin or modified release. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2992 on: 29 October, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »
I've never bothered to look, but since it's generic I should think it's the simplest form available.

« Reply #2993 on: 07 November, 2019, 10:42:34 am »
Good Grief!  Went to bed last night around 10, and woke around 11 feeling slightly nauseous. A bit hot-and-cold too. Went to the bathroom and sat on the loo to wait it out. At which point, with no warning cramps etc., my bowels opened, quite literally like a tap  :o. I swear it was continuous for 3 minutes!!  I finally got some sleep around 4am after several more decreasingly long but increasingly liquid interludes. It was like having two bladders. I’ve not gone to work. I just had to capture a mouse the cat brought in. I’m exhausted  :hand:  Trying to get something down me for the Imodium to work on will be a challenge  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2994 on: 07 November, 2019, 01:17:34 pm »
Good luck with that, it's bloody miserable.

---o0o---

Right knee a bit stiff & hurty since Tuesday's ride - I'll need to cut down on the verticality for a while. Trouble is, I have to climb a 9% to get out of the valley our village is in.

Heigh ho.  Oh well, it's raining.

« Reply #2995 on: 23 November, 2019, 06:43:49 pm »
I had the stomach Camera this afternoon and have been told that I have a hernia in my stomach  :o.
Not sure if they can do anything about it though

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2996 on: 23 November, 2019, 07:01:10 pm »
Much depends on your symptoms. Though surgical fixes are possible, symptoms can be reduced by medicines, sleeping posture, lifestyle changes and weight loss.

Horses for courses etc...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2997 on: 23 November, 2019, 07:17:41 pm »
Hoping that something, whatever it might be, can be done for you, Chris.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2998 on: 23 November, 2019, 11:26:00 pm »
Sorry to hear that Chris, not what you need having weird and annoying health shit on top of impairment nonsense.  I hope there are treatments or alleviations that you can be offered and you find out soon.

« Reply #2999 on: 24 November, 2019, 07:40:31 am »
Thanks all  :), I will see the doctor next week and see what happens.