Author Topic: [HAMR] Tracking  (Read 18449 times)

Re: Tracking
« Reply #50 on: 02 January, 2015, 10:06:54 am »
One does hope that TG finds some time over the year for making a record sized CDC from the tracks.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #51 on: 02 January, 2015, 11:24:08 am »
One does hope that TG finds some time over the year for making a record sized CDC from the tracks.

Behave!!

(I could plot a route.........)

« Reply #52 on: 02 January, 2015, 11:53:59 am »
I had to look. Looks like he's at the Royal Hop Pole!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #53 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:14:05 pm »
He should turn it into Tour d'Weatherspoons :D

It would be good if he rode a few circles from Tewkesbury this afternoon & then joined us on the Jan Sale tomorrow, but I suspect tomorrow's route will be far too hilly for what Steve's doing :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:23:51 pm »
It'll be interesting to see when he gets bored of starting Westwards! Takes a lot of gumption to deliberately give yourself an afternoon+evening of stiff headwind.
Hopefully there will be some still days and/or Easterlies soon, to give him some route variety. (ideally without too much ice).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 02 January, 2015, 01:27:13 pm »
It'll be interesting to see when he gets bored of starting Westwards! Takes a lot of gumption to deliberately give yourself an afternoon+evening of stiff headwind.

I'd have thought that keeping an eye on the weather is going to be hugely significant and he'll almost certainly plan his rides round it. If he does have any freedom at all [and in the context of the enormity of the undertaking it's not much] it's being able to choose to go where he wants when he wants, and any boredom that might set in because of being restricted by the weather, will always be off set by the knowledge that he could be elsewhere in a much less favourable environment. Miles is the main thing, if he's clocking those, he'll be happy. Tomorrow looks a bit damp though.
Garry Broad

Chris S

« Reply #56 on: 02 January, 2015, 03:12:47 pm »
Yes. And a significant ice risk early on Sunday. Keep to the main roads, I reckon.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #57 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:44:39 am »
Heading East today past me, if I wasn't so lazy and bug filled today I could have set off after him.
Quote on Faceache from "ironOx"

"i am not starting UNTIL 4 January SUNDAY, my official start date. Yesterday was just a check, since i put new batteries in the SPOT tracker. Thanks for following Shusanah Pillinger and Chris Davies, this is going to fun and interesting, since i will also be doing this around my work."

Good luck with that then  :o

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #58 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:26:09 am »
He was never going to be a serious contender. It'll be interesting to see if he gets much further than Steve did in 2007, when he racked up 405 AUK points plus utility riding around a fulltime job.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #59 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:52:53 am »
With a name like that he was never going to be serious, surely?
I mean, like, he needs a name to strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. A name such as, for instance,
steve
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #60 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:15:53 pm »
Does anyone know how to download Steve's daily track from Strava? I have a premium account, but don't seem to be able to (possibly because he has privacy settings set to prevent this).

I have an idea for visualizing his progress, but would need access to each day's tracklog to do this.

That's exciting.

Is there any way to use the tracker to look at just the current day's riding?  It's going to get awfully complicated with the many layers showing.
Getting there...

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #61 on: 03 January, 2015, 07:06:24 pm »
That's exciting.

Is there any way to use the tracker to look at just the current day's riding?  It's going to get awfully complicated with the many layers showing.

You think THAT'S complicated - give it another 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months....
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #62 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:47:45 pm »
Does anyone know how to download Steve's daily track from Strava? I have a premium account, but don't seem to be able to (possibly because he has privacy settings set to prevent this).

I have an idea for visualizing his progress, but would need access to each day's tracklog to do this.

Jo, if you haven't done already.
Open the days ride
click the GPX icon which is in the top corner of the map window
you should then get a save, or save as option. I do, no problem with a premium account.

red marley

« Reply #63 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:38:25 pm »
Thanks for that. The problem was that when I originally posted I had not yet had my 'follow request' approved. Only once following did the GPX link appear.

I'm currently working on (a fairly simple) web-based interactive visualization of Steve's progress based on the GPX files and some other data. I'll share as soon as it is ready.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #64 on: 04 January, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »
Stalking tip  :P
If your out on your bike trying to check Steve's progress I found the blue dot app loads up quicker than the track leaders page http://app.bluedot.mobi

Watchers of previous races, Tour divide and The Transcontinental tend to refer to each other as blue dot watchers.

« Reply #65 on: 04 January, 2015, 01:40:11 pm »
The tracking site is understandably already becoming a bit of a maze as Steve sticks close to home to begin with. The web-site doesn't seem to give the option but could it possible to see each day's ride afresh?
Garry Broad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #66 on: 04 January, 2015, 01:49:51 pm »
I understand that the site is being adjusted to allow viewing of individual days but it might take a little longer yet.

« Reply #67 on: 04 January, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »
could it possible to see each day's ride afresh?
I understand that the site is being adjusted to allow viewing of individual days but it might take a little longer yet.
See individual days on Strava now.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #68 on: 04 January, 2015, 01:54:44 pm »
Strava identifies each previous day's route but does not do so for Steve's current day, until uploaded. The tracker is meant to show where he is in real time and where he has been.

The blue dot tracker noted above does give Steve's current position.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #69 on: 04 January, 2015, 05:48:01 pm »
Stalking tip  :P
If your out on your bike trying to check Steve's progress I found the blue dot app loads up quicker than the track leaders page http://app.bluedot.mobi

Watchers of previous races, Tour divide and The Transcontinental tend to refer to each other as blue dot watchers.

OK, got that working.  I see the blue dot but no track.  Does it not do that?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 04 January, 2015, 06:03:43 pm »
+1

Probably less of an issue with those other events, where it's fairly obvious what direction the riders are heading, the lack of a route line means it doesn't tell you much if you're not actively blue dot watching...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #71 on: 04 January, 2015, 06:21:09 pm »
The tracking site is understandably already becoming a bit of a maze as Steve sticks close to home to begin with. The web-site doesn't seem to give the option but could it possible to see each day's ride afresh?

It seems to now show only the current days track with the points on it and the older as just a line.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 04 January, 2015, 06:29:42 pm »

It seems to now show only the current days track with the points on it and the older as just a line.
Yup. I'd say that's a big imnprovement.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #73 on: 05 January, 2015, 05:23:18 pm »
Has anyone looked into getting a live (kml?) feed of the spot tracking data so we can mash this up ourselves? Or are we limited to what is on the trackleaders site?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #74 on: 05 January, 2015, 06:56:02 pm »
Total mileage seems to have dissappeared from the tracker site???
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...