Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 278631 times)

For the first time in absolutely ages, it's raining. :o

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I've seen more Fog since we moved to Teesside than in my previous 58 years put together. Today is a perfect example - 50-100m visibility all day. I've had the fucking lights on indoors, all day. I've had to deploy the SAD light. It's June day after tomorrow, and I've got the SAD light out.

I think I may need to move.

It wouldn't be far to move to Tyneside, where the fog is not shared.

Isn't there a song called "Fog on the Tyne"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog_on_the_Tyne

Blimey! A popular beat combo, m'lud!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

This may perhaps have been the point of the witticism, given that the lyrics assert repeatedly that the fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Showing my age, but I was only previously aware of the once-popular sportsballer version, and thought Lindisfarne was an island.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Probably showing my age, but I wasn't aware of the sportsballer version.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Guy

• Retired
Lindisfarne *is* an island. named after a popular beat combo, I believe.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Beardy

• Shedist
Lindisfarne *is* an island. named after a popular beat combo, I believe.
AKA the Holy Isle. The island that is, not the popular beat combo
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Er... sportsball?  Synonym for fitbaw?

Thought Holy Isle was what they poured on HM during the coronation.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!

This may perhaps have been the point of the witticism, given that the lyrics assert repeatedly that the fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine.

I know I'm getting old and Wow is my senior but it would appear this wit has taken him the best part of a week to click...

Are you OK, Wow?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
One of Professor Larrington's oldest chums is the daughter of the former vicar of Lindisfarne.  When the pair of them were attempting to reduce the Pennilessness of Student Oafery working as chambermaids in an hotel in Norway, the Locals were greatly amused.  "Ha ha!  We pillaged Lindisfarne, yes!  Maybe we come again!"

She is now a GP in Cheshire.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Help me!
Oi.  Sky.  Don't just threaten a thunderstorm.   JFDI.

All the rain that’s been mysteriously absent recently...it’s all coming down at once. I went to Waitrose and now it’s got totally torrential - rivers running down the streets. Really hope it dies down a bit soon so that I can make a dash for home...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I'm still hoping, very dry here
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Very windy in Liverpool, my windows & loft hatch were rattling all night. Now in the office down by the river & it’s a right hoolie.  Storm Hector, does this mean I have to look out for ZsaZsa & Kiki as well?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
It arrived here in Orkney around lunchtime.  Wind!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Yes, we had a strong westerly by lunchtime, so some of us took bikes out to Tornaveen, dropped a car there and took the tailwind-assist back!
Averaged 50kph over 25k!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1637853313

The local universities weather station recorded 31.4 C yesterday which would have made us one of the hottest places in the country according to the BBC.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
My bike computer recorded 33.x on Wednesday, but admittedly a university weather station is probably more accurate.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I find the inaccuracy of the temperature reading on my bike computer surprisingly useful.  It may be right out for meteorological purposes, but it's generally a good indicator of how I'm going to feel after a couple of miles when I get back on the bike after a stop.

I've seen it read over 40C, but only within tent.  (Where it functions as an indicator of how I'm going to want the openings of my sleeping bag configured once my lard and feet have warmed up.)

When it got to this point (Germany, 2016), getting off to take the photo was a challenge:

Beardy

• Shedist
It’s too damn hot. Alright!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Going to be better here tomorrow, only 28° max, but with a headwind gusting to 45 kph for the homeward leg.

It’s too damn hot. Alright!

Look on the bright side. The nights are drawing in.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Only out on the bike for two hours today, but I think I've given myself a touch of sunstroke, headache all day afterwards and general fuzziness despite drinking over two litres in the two hours. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Help me!
*stands in garden, face up in the warm rain*   hmmm, nice.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The bloody wind hasn't let up since Friday. I need to do a 150k or more to stay sane and the poplar tree I use as an anemometer is bent over sideways like the proverbial crone. Don't want to ride 75k against that. Looks like another day of occupational therapy in the workshop. Mañana.