Author Topic: How many A roads have you cycled on?  (Read 9739 times)

Re: How many A roads have you cycled on?
« Reply #75 on: 21 March, 2024, 12:49:39 pm »
I've ridden on the A11... but not on the main carriageway thereof.  ;D
That's the problem section between Mildenhall and Thetford isn't it, where they built a shiny new dual carriageway with no sensible alternative route, so just assumed that cyclists would use their Star Trek transporters to disappear at one end and appear at the other. It being a strategic route for all traffic types.
It is, but the section just east of Elveden where there is a cycle path on the old road/alongside. However, I wanted to cut across to Thetford forest for a Veloviewer tile, and didn't really want to double back.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #76 on: 23 March, 2024, 02:24:13 pm »
I've ridden on the A11... but not on the main carriageway thereof.  ;D
That's the problem section between Mildenhall and Thetford isn't it, where they built a shiny new dual carriageway with no sensible alternative route, so just assumed that cyclists would use their Star Trek transporters to disappear at one end and appear at the other. It being a strategic route for all traffic types.

Actually that reminds me, I ended up for exactly this reason having to cross it at one of those monster fast roundabouts just outside Mildenhall, not something to repeat in a hurry.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #77 on: 23 March, 2024, 03:02:46 pm »
It is, but the section just east of Elveden where there is a cycle path on the old road/alongside.
I knew about that section, but it seems pointless without the rest. And they even gave away part of the old road to a private estate, not that it would have been any good without the missing onward route.

« Reply #78 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:42:10 am »
It is, but the section just east of Elveden where there is a cycle path on the old road/alongside.
I knew about that section, but it seems pointless without the rest. And they even gave away part of the old road to a private estate, not that it would have been any good without the missing onward route.
Indeed, although a cut through would at least reduce the distance on the A11 in one direction. Since I was riding from Center Parcs Elveden, that stretch was useful for going to Thetford. As you can see, when me and my dad rode down to Cambridge, it was a substantial detour.

« Reply #79 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:49:57 am »
Indeed, although a cut through would at least reduce the distance on the A11 in one direction. Since I was riding from Center Parcs Elveden, that stretch was useful for going to Thetford. As you can see, when me and my dad rode down to Cambridge, it was a substantial detour.

Oh, does it count as riding on the A14 if I rode on a coned off area of its tarmac, and a short part of a slip road, during the 2019 FFF500?  :P

« Reply #80 on: 25 March, 2024, 06:13:40 pm »
Now I'm wondering where that A11/A14 photo was taken?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #81 on: 25 March, 2024, 06:40:05 pm »
you were that close you could have popped in for a cuppa.  I regularly ride out past the USAF bases and up to Thetford Forest

I could have also given you a much nicer route to Cambridge ;)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 02:17:40 pm »
Now I'm wondering where that A11/A14 photo was taken?
Here - https://maps.app.goo.gl/hr6JoE82WT4Ux8Pt6

you were that close you could have popped in for a cuppa.  I regularly ride out past the USAF bases and up to Thetford Forest

I could have also given you a much nicer route to Cambridge ;)
It worked fairly well for us tbh, I'm quite a fan of old trunk roads where possible, and it was designed to be compatible on a Veloviewer tiling front with a god-forsaken hour TT along the A11/A14  :)