Author Topic: Catching Them Young  (Read 1977 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Catching Them Young
« on: 11 July, 2008, 03:06:48 pm »
Finally, the Guardian has posted on its website yesterday''s fine column from Will Fotheringham, its cycling correspondent.

It's about how to channel the seasonal enthusiasm for cycling when TdF hits the screens.
Getting there...

Re: Catching Them Young
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2008, 04:00:09 pm »
Good article.

I can only speak with what I have experienced as a parent and soon to be british cycling level 2coach for go-ride.

My daughter loves Go-ride. It's fun, it's safe and so far has been a great way to get some of the basic skills required before going onto the road. It has stimulated some serious enthusiasm for the sport in my daughter and many of her Go-ride friends. The kids keep coming back and it's fantastic to see them progress. It's quite common to see in excess of 30 children turning up on a wet and windy day.

Here is an article on the formal launch of the local Go-ride club and opening of the renovated cycle track. The kids braved the worst weather for a Saturday morning in about two years.  :o

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/roa/News2008/20080707_Salt_Ayre.asp

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2008, 04:03:43 pm »
Yup, couldn't agree more. We get loads of kids turn up and they thoroughly enjoy themselves.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2008, 04:40:04 pm »
We saw off the Tour of the Maritime Ports from Le Havre last year (just on our way back from PBP). Afterwards there were races for children of all ages, right down to Vingt Minutes for the youngest, some of whom looked scarcely out of nappies. Older siblings, mums and fathers, all cheering them on. Lovely atmosphere.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:30:32 pm »
Yup, couldn't agree more. We get loads of kids turn up and they thoroughly enjoy themselves.

..d

I thought of you and your club as I read the article.
Getting there...

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2008, 04:24:33 pm »
Lots of coverage in the local rag (Lancaster Guardian )for this kind of thing the local clubs seem to have really got their act together.