Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 390951 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #625 on: 27 June, 2014, 06:07:53 am »
Ooh, I could cycle to Nijmegen to see it!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Ruth

« Reply #626 on: 28 June, 2014, 08:21:48 am »
Did anybody see the news footage of the American fighter jet doing a vertical landing so the nose could be held on a little stool because the landing gear failed? It reminded me of the old Harriers, is it a similar technology?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #627 on: 28 June, 2014, 09:07:47 am »
Did anybody see the news footage of the American fighter jet doing a vertical landing so the nose could be held on a little stool because the landing gear failed? It reminded me of the old Harriers, is it a similar technology?

To me it looked like a Harrier.
Chief cat entertainer.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #628 on: 28 June, 2014, 09:10:35 am »
It was a US Marines AV8B Harrier 2. Quite possibly ex-RAF, as we sold our remaining ones to them.

Ruth

« Reply #629 on: 28 June, 2014, 01:22:27 pm »
It is a very very cool 'plane, isn't it.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #630 on: 28 June, 2014, 01:26:07 pm »
It is - selling all ours off was madness :(

For those who haven't found a link yet: -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28065288
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #631 on: 28 June, 2014, 02:51:08 pm »
It was a US Marines AV8B Harrier 2. Quite possibly ex-RAF, as we sold our remaining ones to them.

The ex-RAF Harriers were sold as parts donors - reports that the USMC were going to fly ex-RAF Harriers were contradicted by US Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) in 2012.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usmc-hopes-new-method-for-tracking-fatigue-life-will-help-extend-harrier-to-372797/

The way to tell American Harriers from the RAF ones is that the American ones were upgraded with radar distinguishable by the larger, more pointy nose cone compared with the RAF's GR9s. There was talk of upgrading some RAF Harriers with the radar sets from the Sea Harriers when they were retired, but the plan was dismissed on cost grounds, probably also related to the hopelessly optimistic expectations of when the Lockheed Martin Corporate Welfare Program - sorry, F-35 - was due to enter service...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TimC

« Reply #632 on: 28 June, 2014, 06:58:44 pm »
Thanks, Spesh. I think I knew that deep in my brane somewhere, but obviously too deep to actually remember!!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #633 on: 06 July, 2014, 03:03:18 am »
Yesterday evening, I spotted a C-47, complete with invasion/zebra stripes, fly low and slow over Farringdon Station.

I've seen a C-47 on the ground before, but never in flight - the engine sound is quite amazing, a deep burbling noise. As far as engine noise goes, it sounded very nice.
I was in the Forest on that day and it came very low over my head going SW.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

fuzzy

« Reply #634 on: 09 July, 2014, 11:05:23 pm »
The other day, as I was doing some clearing up at the school, I was treated to a triplane dogfight- one of 'ours' v one of 'theirs'. Theirs may even have been a Manfred von Richthoffen replica. It was fun to watch and sounded lovely.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #635 on: 10 July, 2014, 10:56:30 am »
Who won?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #636 on: 11 July, 2014, 09:35:19 am »
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #637 on: 11 July, 2014, 10:27:35 am »
I saw the C-47 over Preston yesterday. I was in the same chippy where I'd seen a Hurricane from last week.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #638 on: 11 July, 2014, 10:33:10 am »
The other day, as I was doing some clearing up at the school, I was treated to a triplane dogfight- one of 'ours' v one of 'theirs'. Theirs may even have been a Manfred von Richthoffen replica. It was fun to watch and sounded lovely.

Who won?

Who won?

Snoopy of course.

you three rascals have left me with an earachetune that got onmetits when it was originally in the charts.
 ::-)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #639 on: 12 July, 2014, 07:30:00 pm »
Nothing unusual but had a great day out at Fairford with my father and son. Highlight probably the Red Arrows, but the Lancaster and Spitfire came a close second.

« Reply #640 on: 12 July, 2014, 08:01:53 pm »
I must admit, I thought it was a bit lame this year. Not one thing that stood out apart from the Frecce Tricolore who make the Red Arrows look stale.

« Reply #641 on: 12 July, 2014, 10:48:06 pm »
I saw the Frecce Tricolore at Waddington two years ago. The display had what might be termed "Italian flair" from the red green and white smoke on take off to the final starburst over the cowd to the strains of Nessun Dorma. I think the Red Arrows have the edge in precision flying but the Italians certainly know how to put on a show.

Dave Yates
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

« Reply #642 on: 13 July, 2014, 09:10:00 am »
Even though the overall day lacked the variety of previous years there were still opportunities to marvel at the wonders of modern engineering...

http://i57.tinypic.com/197b4x.jpg

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #643 on: 13 July, 2014, 09:28:05 am »
Did he have tattoos?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #644 on: 13 July, 2014, 09:32:54 am »
No idea.

I was more concerned about what would occur first, collapse or prolapse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #645 on: 13 July, 2014, 09:35:23 am »
They usually have tattoos.

They take the t of  'RIAT' too seriously.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #646 on: 13 July, 2014, 10:28:55 am »
I've seen the Frecce Tricolore described as "an Italian version of the Red Arrows withe the accent very much on free expression".  About thirty years ago one of their pilots managed to kill the top of a tree at Monza, but carried on with the display anyway.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #647 on: 13 July, 2014, 10:35:35 am »
Rammstein

TimC

« Reply #648 on: 13 July, 2014, 11:15:17 am »
The Ramstein incident (1988) killed rather more than the top of a tree, and they didn't continue. 67 spectators and 3 pilots died.

« Reply #649 on: 13 July, 2014, 11:21:07 am »
I know. Ramstein and Monza are not the same place.

Ramstein was the end of manoeuvres flown towards the crowd line. Fairford were more fortunate 5 years later when the MIGs collided.