Author Topic: New perm Mallorca Moonpig 144km 3AAA  (Read 4923 times)

Martin

New perm Mallorca Moonpig 144km 3AAA
« on: 23 March, 2016, 07:44:41 am »
I'm pleased to announce a new perm that takes in the best climbs and views around the Lunar landscape (Moon) and the Puig Major (pig)

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MM03/

route sheet to be added once I've deciphered the scrawl from my draft version from a DIY version a couple of weeks ago

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: New perm Mallorca Moonpig 144km 3AAA
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2016, 08:38:01 am »
Been a few years since I rode on Mallorca, but that looks like a really great perm.
Very beautiful climbs, and not to steep, and food + water will not be a problem  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2016, 09:21:31 am »
Thanks Martin! On my list for my next visit to the island. A pity it wasn't listed last week, as I've just come back from Mallorca and cycled the very same lumps.
There are plenty of cafes along the route and the road surfaces in a much better condition than the UK's.
Those that are feeling fresh after climbing the Puig can turn left before the aqueduct and descend to the small port at Sa Calobra. Enormous pieces of cake can be eaten before climbing back up the way you came down (it takes a little longer going up)

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2016, 10:19:39 am »
I did Sa Calobra (returning down the same climb you go up from Selva on the Moonpig) and Formentor when I was there, they would also make excellent perms but are easily done as DIYs too.

Now, would AUK allow a calendar version?  8)

« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2016, 05:30:46 pm »
I'll second any proposal  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2016, 07:09:20 am »
That is almost exactly one of the routes I rode last summer, it's a great ride.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2016, 08:13:48 pm »
a fantastic flythrough here

https://www.relive.cc/view/753886800

what are you waiting for?

« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2016, 12:22:41 pm »
I may do this if I am out there next time and my gf gives me a pass for an all day cycling activity.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:04:09 am »
I have a card for this and hope to ride it during a week's holiday next April. It is only a hope at this stage as I've also entered the Mallorca 312 which is running on the first Saturday that we're there! Best get started on the hill repeats now  :'(

« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:02:57 am »
Good looking route, I recall Mrs. BlackSheep doing this numerous times since 2011.

Diy-ers can push it out to a 180k/3.75AAA by taking a right at the viaduct, and dropping down to Sa Colobra.

Or going out to Cap Formentur for a 180k/4.75AAA

Interesting take on the "Puig" bit, I thought "Puig" was Catalan for "Hill", the generic pig in Catalan being simply porc. Puig Major being the "Greater Hill",  and "Puig Minor' being the "Lesser Hill".
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:08:31 am »
"The Pig" seems to be how most UK cyclists refer to Puig Major (I think Puig is Balear for Pico)

There is another DIY 100 I've done that starts in Pollenca and goes to Sa Calobra then down the Selva climb and back via Campanet, personally I think Moonpig is enough of a day ride in itself

« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2019, 05:02:13 pm »
This looks brilliant and thank you for setting it up! I've only been to Mallorca once before (Nov last year) and loved it so much

Good looking route, I recall Mrs. BlackSheep doing this numerous times since 2011.

Diy-ers can push it out to a 180k/3.75AAA by taking a right at the viaduct, and dropping down to Sa Colobra.

Or going out to Cap Formentur for a 180k/4.75AAA

I'd love to add in both those having managed them when I was there. Can def recommend Nov for trying this - was so very quiet - I did a morning attempt on Sa Calobra and didn't see any coaches at all, and the only cyclists I met were when I got about 200m from climbing out.

Martin

« Reply #12 on: 10 March, 2019, 03:46:50 pm »
I can confirm that reversing this ride (ie going down to Selva after the first climb then going from Soller up to the golf ball) is a BAD IDEA; I only did it that way to earn the new jersey which features the infamous climb on one of the sleeves

https://www.domestika.org/en/projects/315935-mallorca-cycling-jersey

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13 on: 10 March, 2019, 10:11:04 pm »
I will be incorporating the moonpig route into my stay in Mallorca this April but sadly won't be able to do the perm as I'll be staying far from the start point. Thanks for making the route, it is appreciated 👌
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 10 March, 2019, 10:22:43 pm »
I will be incorporating the moonpig route into my stay in Mallorca this April but sadly won't be able to do the perm as I'll be staying far from the start point. Thanks for making the route, it is appreciated 👌

you can also start in Soller Bunyola or Llosetta  if that helps 8)

bludger

« Reply #15 on: 11 March, 2019, 07:54:45 am »
Ooh now that's super helpful, more fool me for not inspecting the paperwork more closely! Might be in touch soon...! 🤯

Ban cars.

bludger

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:26:32 am »
Cracking route but high winds and road closures (from falling trees) meant I didn't finish the ride; didn't fancy getting stuck halfway around the route and having to detour through tunnels. I ended up taking shelter in a café on Easter Saturday at 11AM with a bunch of boozed up Spaniards who seemed to be sessioning for the entire 3 days of Jesus's entombment.

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:39:35 am »
Cracking route but high winds and road closures (from falling trees) meant I didn't finish the ride; didn't fancy getting stuck halfway around the route and having to detour through tunnels. I ended up taking shelter in a café on Easter Saturday at 11AM with a bunch of boozed up Spaniards who seemed to be sessioning for the entire 3 days of Jesus's entombment.

oh dear  :( where were the trees down? I've got another 3 riders up for it soon, one riding today or tomorrow I think

bludger

« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2019, 12:52:38 pm »
The top of the col approaching Fornaltux (going clockwise). Just bad luck, they had chainsaw gangs going out and they weren't permitting me to continue or give me a time estimate so I called it a day.

They'd put signs up saying Col de soller was closed too, which I judiciously ignored, but when it became clear that the Spaniards had actually got out of bed and started chainsawing it was time to DNF. It's probably all taken care of by now.

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:51:09 pm »
Not sure which col you mean I just remember a continuous climb from the Soller info all the way up to the tunnel. I presume you went over the Col de Soller on the way in? So on the day the only way out of Soller was via Valdemossa by bike?

bludger

« Reply #20 on: 27 April, 2019, 03:46:46 pm »
This was where I'd got to (going clockwise).

The northmost part is where los rozzers turned me back. I tried to sneak around through the woods but there were fallen trees and whatnot up there too so I called it a day.

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #21 on: 27 April, 2019, 10:44:40 pm »
so looking at the profile you did the Orient and Honor climbs, Soller twice and a bit of the tunnel climb in between the two Sollers. Shame you were turned back but I hope you enjoyed the scenery (the views up to the golf ball on the first section and that huge gorge carved out with massive cliffs either side are sublime)

here's to next time  8)

shouldn't it be los rozzeros? or maybe los flicos in Balear as it's a bit French?  :)

bludger

« Reply #22 on: 28 April, 2019, 12:47:36 am »
That's about the size of it. Went back to my airbnb and had an hour's nap as had been awake since 0530 (wanted an early start), then back out for a leisure spin with some of my mates.

That was my last flying holiday so unsure if I'll go to Mallorca again but I wouldn't rule out visiting via ferry! There's a route from Toulon (near Marseille) which looks quite reasonable with a bike.

In that evantuality I'll definitely give it another crack  :thumbsup:

Ban cars.

S2L

« Reply #23 on: 28 April, 2019, 03:12:48 pm »

That was my last flying holiday

Environmental concerns?
I applaud you...

Lee Killestein

« Reply #24 on: 28 April, 2019, 03:30:05 pm »
Rode this route again this morning. No fallen trees, hardly a breath of wind and no sign of Los Rozzeros. Plenty of gel wrappers and general crap left behind by the Mallorca 312 riders yesterday though  >:(

Oh, and it’s definitely more of a challenge going clockwise from the petrol station at the top of Col de sa Bataia!