General Category > OT Knowledge

Optimal Power Bank Size

(1/13) > >>

bobb:
How big is too big? How small is too small?

I have a few of varying sizes, but they're getting a bit old and crap. In fact, one has stopped working completely, so it's time for a couple of new ones.

So... I will be going touring soon and thought I'd get two. One that can be used for charging duties during the day and the other can be recharging off the dynamo. They can be swapped around every couple of days (depending on how long they take to charge up / how long they can last charging other stuff)

Is it a waste of time going massive? Say 25k mAh +

Or is it best to stick to something around the 10 - 15k mark? Or smaller still?

If it's huge, I assume it would charge ok off the dynamo - it would just take ages to do so?

Also, does it matter what size the battery is of the thing you are charging? I will have:

Phone 3.4k mAh
Tablet 10k mAh
E-snout 3k mAh
Kindle 1.4k mAh

The phone and E-cigarette would get caned the most - need daily charging. The Kindle lasts forever and probably only needs a charge once a month. Tablet lasts well with light use, but would need charging if I use it a lot.

I'll be away for about a month.

Any advice muchly appreciated...

Ham:
I reckon power vs  weight should one of the key criteria, plus if your kit supports it, ability to do fast charge.

For me, this works well, no idea if there are better alternatives more than a year later https://chargedpower.com/collections/chjgd-ultracompact-mini

Oh, and with more stuff than one thing to charge, pass through is good too, as you may only have access to a single socket. This way it can charge everything while you sleep. Passthru is NOT as universal as you would first think

Chris N:
Phone, tablet and Kindle? ???  Maybe you should have a read of this: http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/tls-revolutionary-packing-system.html?

bobb:

--- Quote from: chris n on 26 April, 2018, 09:45:02 am ---Maybe you should have a read of this: http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/tls-revolutionary-packing-system.html?

--- End quote ---

I'd rather lug everything up the steepest cols than waste my life weighing absolutely everything to the nearest gram. I would also hate to be considered a "Bikepacker"  :P

bobb:

--- Quote from: Ham on 26 April, 2018, 09:41:06 am ---Oh, and with more stuff than one thing to charge, pass through is good too, as you may only have access to a single socket. This way it can charge everything while you sleep. Passthru is NOT as universal as you would first think

--- End quote ---
An interesting article about pass through charging from Ravpower

--- Quote ---In the end, to avoid damaging your device or power bank, follow two simple rules. First, make sure your power bank is equipped with the right circuitry to support pass through. Second, if you need to use it, don't do it for very long – think emergency rations situations. By limiting pass through to a few hours at most, you should be able to reduce heat and the potential for battery damage.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version