General Category > Ctrl-Alt-Del

The computing stuff rant thread

(1/655) > >>

David Martin:
Autodesk. For a company that charges $$$$ how hard is it to have software that can actually read and write properly to a Samba share?

I can't do a f^&*$( thing with it because every time ti tries to read my home directory it claims it can't find files that are hiding in plain sight.

can't find Blah Blah Blah enu/support/thingy
Well don't install it under enu/Support/thingy then.
Rename folder.
Still can't find it

Is it really such a bloated piece of &*( or is it my sysadmins screwing up roaming profile mounting?

Woofage:
A former colleague went to work for Autodesk in the mid noughties. I told him to pass on the message "rip it up and start again".

I feel your pain.

David Martin:
I thought installing it was bad. Trying to work out how to use the thing is not much fun, especially in a tiny remote desktop window over a crappy virgin media cable connection.

It may get filed next to 'Visual Basic' in the box of technologies I am not allowed to use in polite company.

Kim:
Arduino Ethernet modules that don't speak IPv6.  Who thought that was a good idea?

(Yes, I know the WizNet 5100 has been around for ages.  It's still a bit stupid though.)

pcolbeck:

--- Quote from: Kim on 24 February, 2014, 10:27:48 pm ---Arduino Ethernet modules that don't speak IPv6.  Who thought that was a good idea?

(Yes, I know the WizNet 5100 has been around for ages.  It's still a bit stupid though.)

--- End quote ---

Surely that's just a software issue as IP is not Ethernet it's L3 (media Independence being one of the points of IP). And yes I know some devices offload L3 processing into hardware for better performance but unless its an L3 switch that shouldn't be an issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version