Author Topic: Save the planet — ban cycle helmets  (Read 5711 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Save the planet — ban cycle helmets
« Reply #25 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:11:10 pm »
Portrayal examples from life:

Chuffy did a set of local ride guides for the Council.  They rejected his photos because the riders weren't wearing helmets.

I gooned up to a photoshoot for the opening of a site facility.  The photographer asked me to be out because I wasn't wearing a hat.

It's not bollocks, it's very much real.  Exactly the same non-grata status as a photo of someone smoking. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rae

« Reply #26 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:45:54 pm »
That's elf and safety again.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #27 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:17:41 pm »

... or, more likely, ignorance dressed up as H&S.

« Reply #28 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:18:55 pm »
Chipping in my 2p worth - the sorts of people who censor people from photos etc. for nto wearing helmets are IMHO likely not to be cyclists. What is it in the British character which makes people think they can hand out advice to adult strangers?
I remember a conversation with a relative, who was horrified that I did not wear a cycle helmet. I had to stick to my ground very firmly.

« Reply #29 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:24:21 pm »
ps. I agree with what the article says. I've said this on here before - take a trip to my local supermarket, all of one mile away. With the car, I decide to go on a whim, leave the front door, go into an underground car park in my normal clothes and shoes. I leave the car in a marked space at the supermarket, and secure it by blipping the key. I have the knowledge that it will be there when I get back (modern central locking and immobilisers have made car theft rare). I take the trolley which has been left in a special paring place near the car and go shop.

On the bike - I get special shoes on to go with the SPD pedals, I put on cycling clothes, and if the H+S types are to be followed I simply must wear a helmet. On arrival at the supermarket I unship two locks, and spend time binding the bike to a secure stand. I then strip it of all removable objects. I still have a fear of the bike not being there when I come out.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:25:44 pm »

... or, more likely, ignorance dressed up as H&S.

In Hi-Vis, I hope.
It is simpler than it looks.

rae

« Reply #31 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:28:33 pm »
On arrival at the supermarket I unship two locks, and spend time binding the bike to a secure stand. I then strip it of all removable objects. I still have a fear of the bike not being there when I come out. 

I think that is a far bigger problem than helmets, but of course, coming down hard on the little shits that steal bikes isn't all that "right on".    There are a number of journeys I make by car rather than bike, simply because I know the bike won't be there when I go back to it.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #32 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:46:20 pm »
On the bike - I get special shoes on to go with the SPD pedals, I put on cycling clothes, and if the H+S types are to be followed I simply must wear a helmet. On arrival at the supermarket I unship two locks, and spend time binding the bike to a secure stand. I then strip it of all removable objects. I still have a fear of the bike not being there when I come out.

then you need a Brommie. Get on bike (in whatever clothes you happen to be wearing). Ride to supermarket. Fold up bike & take it with you to do shopping.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #33 on: 07 September, 2009, 02:22:35 pm »
then you need a Brommie.
Ah! N+1 - I like your thinking Sir.

Get on bike (in whatever clothes you happen to be wearing). Ride to supermarket.
Latex catsuit, clown mask and welders mitts? Not a good look for the supermarket.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 07 September, 2009, 02:34:46 pm »
On arrival at the supermarket I unship two locks, and spend time binding the bike to a secure stand. I then strip it of all removable objects. I still have a fear of the bike not being there when I come out. 

I think that is a far bigger problem than helmets, but of course, coming down hard on the little shits that steal bikes isn't all that "right on".    There are a number of journeys I make by car rather than bike, simply because I know the bike won't be there when I go back to it.

That's a good point. However, I suspect it depends on the (perceived?) value of your car vs bike.

When my car was new(er), I was pretty reluctant to park in certain places. They're probably the same places that anyone owning a nice bike would be reluctant to park it. If your car is new enough to have good security, you're more likely to be pi55ed off at minor vandalism of it.

Then there's the issue that supermarkets do generally put the bike parking in a VERY insecure spot, whereas your car is parked under the nose of the security droids.

[It may be true that out-of-town superstores are actually very safe places for bike parking!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rae

« Reply #35 on: 07 September, 2009, 02:44:59 pm »
A car is parked in a car park with a load of other high value items - so unless yours really stands out, it isn't going to be a target.   Modern cars are also pretty hard to break into and the police also take car theft quite seriously.   A bike, wherever it is parked, is an easy target, and the police don't give two shits about the theft.    It is also easy to nick parts - front wheel, saddle etc.   Again, no one cares.