Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 105782 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #200 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:26:04 pm »

1.       I couldn’t breathe in the lake … 

Heh.  I just had my first open-water swim session of the season and got schooled in the same sort of way.  Cold-water crawl is a definite skill, and exposure's ideal.

Also: Well done him! He are a big triafflete! :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #201 on: 20 July, 2010, 07:25:17 am »
Advice on fuelling please!

I've got my first Olympic distance event coming up in Hyde Park next weekend.  Looking at the times from last year, it looks a bit serious and I'll be fighting not to be last in my age group.  I've done several sprints before and survived on a carbo-load the night before, porridge in the morning followed by snacking before the race and an energy drink on the bike.  I presume that won't be enough this time, but how much is enough?
Peter

« Reply #202 on: 20 July, 2010, 08:03:36 am »
I got through my first olympic on an energy drink on the bike plus a gel each time I was in transition.  I would have welcomed another gel during the run but didnt take one as there werent any drinks stations on the run course to get a drink to wash it down with.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #203 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:39:52 am »
I totally overdid it with a bottle and a half of energy drink and a gel on the bike, and was green all through the run, last time. 

Bottle of drink (second bottle of plain water if it's scorchio) anna gel, with an emergency gel for flagging in the run, seems about right.  Combine with proper feeding before for glory without holding down the sick.   :sick: :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #204 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:43:53 pm »
A banananana at T1 which I had peeled ever so slightly before I started. Managed to shove it down my gob whilst putting my bike shoes on. Then a bottle of energy drink on the bike with a couple of caffeine laced cola flavoured energy sweets for good measure. I tried not to consume anything in the last 5km on the bike.

They were handing out energy gels on the run and stupidly I took one and decided to try it (I was willing to try anything by that point) and it made my hands sticky and tummy sicky. So I totally failed to follow the one simple rule of nothing new on race day  :facepalm:

« Reply #205 on: 21 July, 2010, 07:48:18 am »
Thanks for the tips.  I've never tried energy gels, so maybe I should steer clear on the basis of Pippa's advice and my own experience TBF*.  Perhaps a banana and bits of an energy bar would do it.  I don't yet know what's provided in terms of watering holes.

* Blenheim Tri 3 years ago I accepted a free Gatorade after the swim and had stomach cramps throughout the run.    ::-)
Peter

JJ

« Reply #206 on: 22 July, 2010, 07:26:22 pm »
Someone from GB Triathlon emailed Mrs J to say that based on her performance at the Dambuster she's on the reserve list for Budapest and would she be available.  Now I know it's age-group and it's only a reserve list, but am I proud?  What do you think?

Only thing is my company want me at a conference in Florida just then, which presents a child-care problem, but if she gets the call we shall find a way.

The thing is that she's only really just started racing.  There's still loads of room to improve.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #207 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:06:21 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #208 on: 22 July, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »
Someone from GB Triathlon emailed Mrs J to say that based on her performance at the Dambuster she's on the reserve list for Budapest and would she be available.  Now I know it's age-group and it's only a reserve list, but am I proud?  What do you think?

Only thing is my company want me at a conference in Florida just then, which presents a child-care problem, but if she gets the call we shall find a way.

The thing is that she's only really just started racing.  There's still loads of room to improve.

That is fantastic!
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #209 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:36:24 pm »
Finished my first Olympic today and looked better crossing the line than Alistair Brownlee did!  

The Dextro triathlon in Hyde Park was a really well run event and a great venue.  

A really good swim by my standard (even if I was at the back!) followed by a solid ride.  I got most things right and was saved by advice given on this thread - I was slowing to a crawl on the run when an energy gel came to the rescue - next time I'll take it earlier.  Smashed my expected time by almost 20 mins - I must have been too pessimistic.  Ended up 52/96 in my age group.  

It looks like I've found my distance - bye bye sprints - proper distances from now on!   :thumbsup:
Peter

JJ

« Reply #210 on: 28 July, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »

She's not a reserve any more.  She's going!
She just rang to ask if we can afford it.  I don't care whether we can or not.  She's going.  Have to see whether the kids and I can get there.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #211 on: 28 July, 2010, 01:40:15 pm »

She just rang to ask if we can afford it.  I don't care whether we can or not.  She's going.  Have to see whether the kids and I can get there.
That's what credit cards are for :demon:Rock on
Congrats to Mrs. j.

« Reply #212 on: 28 July, 2010, 01:46:45 pm »
fantastic news!!  send our awe and congratulations (and big kisses) to Mrs JJ. 

no, we wont babysit. :)

JJ

« Reply #213 on: 28 July, 2010, 02:52:28 pm »
no, we wont babysit. :)

Gwan!!

They're ever so quiet and good you know  ::-)

« Reply #214 on: 29 July, 2010, 04:31:36 pm »
If you're doing your swim training in Cumbernauld, don't  :sick:
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #215 on: 29 July, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »

Brilliant!
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #216 on: 30 July, 2010, 11:24:26 pm »

Hurrah !!! really well done - enjoy it, and I mean all of it, the anticipation, the planning, the buying the vest, the checking the route, the race strategy etc etc  ;D
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

JJ

« Reply #217 on: 07 August, 2010, 11:52:59 am »
Anyone else going to the London Triathlon tomorrow?  Give a shout to 7655 in the women's wave at 12.10.  The J's will be there in force.  4 small blonds and a middle aged bald chap

« Reply #218 on: 07 August, 2010, 01:14:29 pm »
See you there! I'm off at 7.30 so might be just about finished by then... 

JJ

« Reply #219 on: 07 August, 2010, 01:58:18 pm »
Yuk, that means you've to be there at verysillyoclock.  I reckon you'll be packing up to leave as we arrive.  We'll probably go to the East car park for lardy-cars.  You've got my mobile number, I think.  Good luck in the morning. 

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #220 on: 07 August, 2010, 02:07:42 pm »
Good luck Mike and the J's  :thumbsup:

I am a DNS for tomorrow :-[

JJ

« Reply #221 on: 07 August, 2010, 02:25:00 pm »
Good luck Mike and the J's  :thumbsup:

I am a DNS for tomorrow :-[

:( :(

But perhaps you're doing something nice instead.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #222 on: 07 August, 2010, 02:27:07 pm »
LEJoG next Saturday  :thumbsup:

Didn't want nasty triathlon, especially run related injuries to scupper those plans....

cometworm

« Reply #223 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:45:59 am »
Having my porridge now so I'm ready for my 0700 start ... I think it's a sign of madness, age or both that the only times I'm up at 4:30 these days is when I'm off to do a triathlon, rather than still being up from the night before.

Good luck everyone!

« Reply #224 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:54:12 am »
Morning CW.  See you there!