Author Topic: Deliveroo  (Read 14790 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Deliveroo
« Reply #50 on: 04 April, 2017, 09:32:12 am »
That doesn't quite tally with what I see, though, which is (some) riders checking their phones every junction or so. Which may or may not be an improvement on the pre-electronic era of A-Z in the hand... (probably neither better nor worse just different).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 04 April, 2017, 01:14:26 pm »
Maybe they don't want to leave the phone on the bike when they can't take the bike all the way to the door?

Maybe they know their way around, but need to check the phone to find out what number / end of the street they're looking for?  That wouldn't be every junction, though.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #52 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:52:57 am »
I saw a courier at the weekend who'd modified the Deliveroo logo on his box, which is basically a V sign anyway, with the words Eat the Rich.

« Reply #53 on: 14 August, 2018, 03:35:38 pm »
This Deliveroo Uber Eats rider's taken to the motorway...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-45183556

[Edit: I clearly can't read; it's Uber Eats, not Deliveroo. :facepalm:]

« Reply #54 on: 15 August, 2018, 11:35:14 am »
I’m currently in Leuven. I’v Never seen so many Deliveroo etc riders. It’s like watching the sketchiest Belgian kermesse. None wear helmets ( neither do 99% of locals apart from pro-rider lookalikes).

Whilst it seems chaotic, I don’t think there can be many incidents, if at all. My opinion is that it’s because drivers here are very Cycle aware, and respect cyclists. I’m still learning that bikes pretty well ALWAYS have right of way.

« Reply #55 on: 25 August, 2018, 07:06:09 pm »
6 months later, I have been given the option to work for Deliveroo on my bike! Alas I am training as an Emergency Ambulance crew instead now....

« Reply #56 on: 14 April, 2019, 08:49:46 pm »
I'm thinking of signing up to Deliveroo. I've not got much on work wise for a while, so figured I might as well get paid for riding my bike. Haven't decided yet. No doubt as soon as I sign up a massive project will start and I'll not have time... Perhaps a good reason to sign up in the first place!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #57 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:48:19 pm »
Good idea bobb, it's flat in Chelmsford and it's a pretty compact City, so your deliveries should be relatively short. The university accomodation is near to the take aways as well.

I think Chelmsford and Cambridge are the most popular localish towns for deliveroo riders.

I signed up in Colchester, but I've been too lazy to start, the hills, the weather and my old age have put me off.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #58 on: 16 April, 2019, 09:51:56 am »
There's a couple of guys on Strava covering Chelmsford looks like they are doing around 80 km over an 8 hour day.  Robinsons Chip Shop on Moulsham seems a very popular user of them - almost always 3 BSO leaning outside awaiting orders.
Regards,

Joergen

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #59 on: 16 April, 2019, 10:05:47 am »
There's a couple of guys on Strava covering Chelmsford looks like they are doing around 80 km over an 8 hour day.  Robinsons Chip Shop on Moulsham seems a very popular user of them - almost always 3 BSO leaning outside awaiting orders.

I find it really interesting the contrast in bikes used by Deliveroo/justeat/uber eats/Thuisbezorged riders in .NL and .UK.

In .UK outside the McDonalds of Canterbury there is a hodgepodge of BSO's, mountain bikes, road bikes, and maybe the odd fixie. But here in .NL, most of the bikes are branded Thuisbezorged or Deliveroo, usually a big hulking city bike, increasingly a number of E-assist bikes. They are all designed to have a box fitted front and rear, with simple but effective locking.

It did make me wonder, for those relying on a bike to feed themselves and keep a roof over their head, surely you'd pick a steed for it's reliability? and ease of maintenance...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #60 on: 16 April, 2019, 10:23:54 am »
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #61 on: 16 April, 2019, 10:40:10 am »
It did make me wonder, for those relying on a bike to feed themselves and keep a roof over their head, surely you'd pick a steed for it's reliability? and ease of maintenance...

J
I get the impression it's not so much people relying on a bike to feed themselves etc but people who happen to have a bike using it to supplement their income for a limited time (albeit supplement might be the vast majority of it and limited might be a couple of years, but that's not generally the intention at the start). This would go for Deliveroo, messengering, couriering, pedal, motor, van... in UK. The very existence of branded bikes in Netherlands suggests it's rather different there and at a wild guess the difference would be employment models rather than Deliveroo's business operations.

« Reply #62 on: 16 April, 2019, 01:59:38 pm »
I'm thinking of signing up to Deliveroo. I've not got much on work wise for a while, so figured I might as well get paid for riding my bike. Haven't decided yet. No doubt as soon as I sign up a massive project will start and I'll not have time... Perhaps a good reason to sign up in the first place!
The other Deliveroo thread might be worth a read
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108636.0

You might also consider Stuart (Who deliver for Just Eat) if they operate in your area, in Derby I earn on average £1.20 an hour more with them than Deliveroo, though there's less freedom.  I do both and they've been my primary source of income for six months and I did some part time before that.  I'm also signed up with Uber Eats, though don't often log in, locally the distances are greater and the fees don't reflect that, I know that's not the case in all areas.
If you sign up for any of them, do it via a referral which will benefit both parties.

« Reply #63 on: 16 April, 2019, 02:10:35 pm »

J
Number one consideration is not to get it nicked and not to use something you'd cry over if it was.  My perfect bike is a Rohloff Airnimal, easy step over, tough, low maintenance, fun... after a couple of weeks paranoia leaving it locked outside shopping centres and dodgy flats I bought a £160 ex demo Evans hybrid from Ebay.  Changed the wheels and a few other parts for some I had gathering dust which probably tripled it's value, it's a risk level I'm happier with. 
Deliveroo in London are offering branded Ebikes for hire or lease:
https://roocommunity.com/pay-as-you-ride-electric-bike-rental-scheme/

« Reply #64 on: 16 April, 2019, 05:24:31 pm »
The other Deliveroo thread might be worth a read
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108636.0

Ta, just read through that. I'm not sure I can be arsed now  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #65 on: 26 April, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »

J

Chromo fixed is still king in my book, you can get one new for £180 (Hackney Club).
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #66 on: 27 April, 2019, 06:50:37 pm »

Chromo fixed is still king in my book, you can get one new for £180 (Hackney Club).

I really wish you hadn't told me about that...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #67 on: 27 April, 2019, 07:01:22 pm »
That's remarkably cheap, even if their website suggests it's Hi-Ten. It's presumably a bit of a boat anchor, but I'd imagine it would stand up well to being dinged around as a delivery bike.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #68 on: 29 April, 2019, 12:05:01 am »
Plenty of people at my college have them. They're perfectly functional bikes. Only thing that puts me off really is the quill stem as that's a bunch of tools I don't have.

Yeah I meant 'hi ten' (like mine! I'd like chro mo but whatevs) i.e. gas pipes. It's a fun bike, I love nipping it around town, track standing like an itinerant ne'er do well.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.