Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Knowledge / Re: Sacrificial chainstay protector for road bike?
« Last post by Kim on Today at 06:57:25 pm »
My experience of helicopter tape for this sort of thing is that surface preparation is important for making it stick (clean it with alcohol and let it dry thoroughly), but that if the area you're applying it to has too tight a curvature or a funny shape that it can't conform to it inevitably starts to peel at the edge.  Then the oil gets in, and it's doomed.

Vinyl wrap of the type usually used for applying Scotchlite fares somewhat better (to remove without drama, apply heat), but I wouldn't rate its protective abilities against a bouncing chain (rather than a rubbing cable, which it seems to work for on my Brompton).

The velcro-on fabric ones the MTBers use certainly do the job, but look awful.

I wonder if low-end bar tape or hockey tape or something would take more than 5 minutes to look bad?

A bit of sheet metal is an interesting idea.  Very thin stainless, maybe?
Nice photos, OD.
Audax / Re: Where do permanent Events start from and go - can you help?
« Last post by Phil W on Today at 06:21:25 pm »
Hopefully accessible some time next week. Haven't been able to do any more work on it this week. Good work on the rest of the perm data. 
Audax / Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Last post by Delph Cyclist on Today at 06:21:25 pm »
Not even so much as a Reader's Digest special salutation:

Dear MR SMITH

Ah yes, that's down to me.  That salutation should have included your firstname but something went astray.   I'm afraid that MailChimp is a bit of a dark art for me, and there is probably a delegate position for someone who has a better grasp on the technology than me.  On the plus side, I don't think there were speling mixtakes.  I do hope I got those numbers right.

I'm so ancient that I indeed once used to work for a mail order company, and fitting variables into a pre-printed form was at the cutting edge then.
« Last post by stefan on Today at 06:20:43 pm »
Audax is great and AUK is still a fine organisation with a good community and volunteers.   I also think it was about time we increased the subscription fee and validation fees.

This - AUK provides the infrastructure for what we do. It is bigger than the legal entity and is a wider community of enthusiasts and volunteers.

I think membership is stunningly good value even increased - it funds the framework that enables rides to happen, means organisers don't have to invent the wheel around so many aspects of the task and provides formats for us to enjoy our hobby.

Separately - I know nothing about IT projects and am glad that I am not on the board having to work this one out.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.
« Last post by LiamFitz on Today at 06:09:11 pm »
Audax is great and AUK is still a fine organisation with a good community and volunteers.   I also think it was about time we increased the subscription fee and validation fees.

This - AUK provides the infrastructure for what we do. It is bigger than the legal entity and is a wider community of enthusiasts and volunteers.

I think membership is stunningly good value even increased - it funds the framework that enables rides to happen, means organisers don't have to invent the wheel around so many aspects of the task and provides formats for us to enjoy our hobby.

Separately - I know nothing about IT projects and am glad that I am not on the board having to work this one out.

And one more thing, on the AUK forum, the Club Sec has provided an interesting reply to a post from Manotea about the board's powers.  Might be worth a read - I don't know the truth of it but it must help focus debate.

Liam
Cyclosportives and commercial or charity rides / Re: Velo South
« Last post by handcyclist on Today at 06:07:29 pm »
Bunch of wussies. 38mph winds with 53mph gusts and heavy rain sounds like Audax weather to me.

It was certainly a bit wild when I was out in Herts last night ...... but the thought of riding in such conditions with 1000s of others of varying ability and sense, with the local throwing tacks, oil and who knows what else while they 'walking protest' on the route, means I'm not sorry I'll be tootling around home instead.

Shame though - the 'Stop Velo' campaign, whilst it had some reasonable voices with valid concerns - just flagged up the anti-cycling sentiment that is prevalent in the UK. I notice a distinct shift in the tone - it's now 'we love cycling but not VS' as opposed to the earlier derogratory lanuguage. Even so, I don't think I'll be signing up for any closed road events next year, or events in Sussex, if this is the reaction. Sometimes I think the sooner I get out of this increasing hostile country the better - though that would be abandoning the cause .....
« Last post by pangolin on Today at 06:07:13 pm »
I will be thinking hard about whether to renew membership.

I won't.  I'll be renewing.  Audax is great and AUK is still a fine organisation with a good community and volunteers.   I also think it was about time we increased the subscription fee and validation fees.

Very true. Increase them for what though? If what needs paying for hasn't been touched by inflation then they shouldn't increase just for the sake of it. If they were increasing to fund a new initiative we all agreed with then fair enough. But they're being increased just to cover this project.

I suppose the additional income will remain once the project is finished though. Hopefully!
The Knowledge / Sacrificial chainstay protector for road bike?
« Last post by Oxford_Guy on Today at 06:05:34 pm »
Was thinking about getting a sacrificial chainstay protector for the new Mercian road bike frame I have on order, to try to preserve the lovely paintwork, but most of those I've tried in the past on other bikes have been fairly rubbish, with the main problems being:

a) Not sticky enough, so curling up at the sides and then getting grit stick underneath the edges
or
b) Too sticky, so being a pain to remove when it's got so battered that I wanted to replace it, and actually pulling off some of the frame lacquer in the process
and/or
c) Being not durable enough and not lasting very long until it looks rubbish

I'd also prefer something fairly subtle - so I guess clear, black, though possibly polished aluminum or something.

Any recommendations for a chainstay protector that is actually any good?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10