Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Advent of Code
« Last post by Greenbank on Yesterday at 11:52:23 pm »
My code for Day 15's horrible. Lots of nested loops with break-outs, inline functions and branches. Eugh.   ::-) ;D
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Parts and Accessories / Re: Gilles Berthoud Aspin saddle
« Last post by Oxford_Guy on Yesterday at 10:59:14 pm »
Great to hear it worked out for you in the end, I've been so pleased with mine
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Last post by Paul on Yesterday at 10:51:11 pm »
The Usual Suspects.

Still great.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Last post by Torslanda on Yesterday at 10:43:56 pm »
Yesterday on BBC2 an absolute classic - The IPCRESS File. Love it.
In the area might have clown bike with me....
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Last post by Torslanda on Yesterday at 10:39:38 pm »
Late to the party as ever but intrigued by Berlin Station on Channel 4. CIA spooks in Berlin.
I started Friday night and ended up binge watching the first 6 episodes on All 4.

Plot twists on plot twists and doesn't portray the CIA in a good light. The 'good guys' aren't always the good guys and the 'bad guys' are really devious. Reminded me of The ICRESS File, espionage & counter terrorism isn't glamorous.

The first eight episodes are on All 4 and the last two come up this week, there's just time to catch up
Audax / Re: The AUK Regulations
« Last post by Somnolent on Yesterday at 10:38:20 pm »
@Somnolent

I’d summarise all of our discussions on this subject by saying that we are remarkably close but differ on the key and central issue as to the need for a central and authoritative document detailing Audax UK regulations.

My impression is that all you see is the complexity of all the different event forms that AUK is involved in and would see them all documented out separately with all the appropriate rider notes. Nominally that would be quite straightforward, deceptively so.

The problem I perceive with that approach is that without first drawing up a consolidated regulatory document that you will very quickly generate a large number of different event regulation documents, all subtly different which will be impossible to maintain consistently over time. Anybody who has tried to work their way through the Audax Australia regs will understand what I mean.

So yes, there is a need to document individual event forms with appropriate guidance for Orgs and Riders but there needs to be – and the task will be greatly facilitated by – such a central document.

The other point of misunderstanding relates to there being currently two main classes of event/award (BR and BP).

What it comes down to is that right now, for AUK awards purposes, an event is either recognised as BR – the primary standard on which the majority of audax events and awards are based – or not, in which case they are BP. If there was a desire or need to introduce other classes of mutually exclusive Audax UK awards then such additional categories might be defined and we would need to address that but no so desire or need has been demonstrated. Whilst LWaB has pointed out many times that such is the way things are done in France, that, for example, ACP offers several mutually exclusive awards schemes, but for better or worse, Audax UK events and awards schemes have evolved in a different direction.

Yes we are close in our approach but I really don't understand why you refuse to acknowledge the validity (or even existence) of any form of central document but your own.

IMO your 'central document' is inconsistent because it includes the detail regulation for two types of events to the exclusion of others, apparently (in your latest post) on the feeble justification of the relevance to award types.

I'd also dispute specifically
your different event regulation documents, all subtly different which will be impossible to maintain consistently over time.
  They would actually be very easy to maintain because each document, apart from the central one, would refer only to a single type of event, and any changes would affect only that one type and not (inadvertently) other kinds of events, something which is a danger under the present structure.
The Knowledge / Re: Drawbacks of a high bottom bracket
« Last post by LittleWheelsandBig on Yesterday at 10:20:20 pm »
It is easier to design and build a small 700C bike with a high BB. The down tube overlaps the front wheel if the head and seat tubes are at sensible angles and the top tube is a sensible length, particularly as wider tyres are fashionable now.
« Last post by Kim on Yesterday at 10:18:27 pm »
'Stability' is a matter for discussion with regards to bike handling. An object with a high centre of gravity (e.g. broomstick on end) is easier to balance than one with a low centre of gravity (e.g. pencil on end). Conversely, a low BB racing bike certainly is easier to transition into and out of corners and 'feels more secure' but I'm not certain why.

I reckon low centre of mass is more relevant to wheeling the bike than riding it.  (Which is a reasonable enough consideration for eg. a loaded tourer, where keeping the COM low down means less sideways force is needed to balance the bike as you hold it.)

When riding the pendulum principle applies.  Low-racer recumbents have much higher frequency balance-wobble than ordinaries, and a higher bike is generally easier to balance, up to the point where mounting and dismounting require advanced skills.  This isn't the whole story of stability though, as there's all that steering geometry stuff that affects the tendency to self-stabilise.

Cornering behaviour is voodoo that I don't really understand, but it seems to be that bikes that corner well at speed are more difficult to low-speed balance, and vice-versa.
« Last post by aidan.f on Yesterday at 10:16:52 pm »
I do think there is a modern trend to higher. Small frames with 700c wheels always look particularly badly proportioned.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10