Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by Deano on Today at 11:23:50 pm »
That's an impressive trip.  I took a touring bike over Gatescarth a few years ago.  Had to walk most of it, worth the effort for the fantastic views at the top.  It cost me a new pair of cycling shoes, I split the sole climbing over those pigging rocks.

Yes, my shoes survived, but I think it was a close thing. No wonder the walkers going the other way were smirking.

There's a sign at the northern end (but not at the southern end, weirdly) warning motorbikers, motorists and pony-and-trap drivers that they're only allowed up it on certain days. It's silent on the subject of cyclists.

But horses and carts! Anyone who can manage a horse and cart over that lot is worthy of respect, especially if they swap places with the horse halfway up.

I'll sort out some photos now I'm back home.
Standard BRITISH thing of rate-of-change-of-weather being what matters, I suppose.  I've just closed the window I'm sitting next to as the breeze was getting chilly as the outside temperature dropped below 14C (it's nominally 23C in the room).
David is outside observing. He's been getting cold.
He has just put on his down jacket.
My outdoor thermometer reads 16C.
OT Gallery / Re: Silly signs
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 11:16:01 pm »
Seen in various places along the M8 in the vicinity of junction 8, "SIGN NOT IN USE".

So the sign that is ostensibly not in use is in fact in use precisely to tell the reader that it is in fact not in use.  Thank you Transport Scotland, that makes perfect sense.  ???

Yes, I saw them and was a bit baffled  ???
OT Gallery / Re: Silly signs
« Last post by Arellcat on Today at 11:12:25 pm »
Seen in various places along the M8 in the vicinity of junction 8, "SIGN NOT IN USE".

So the sign that is ostensibly not in use is in fact in use precisely to tell the reader that it is in fact not in use.  Thank you Transport Scotland, that makes perfect sense.  ???
GPS / Re: Etrex 30 - auto switch off
« Last post by Tigerbiten on Today at 11:02:41 pm »
Just found this problem.
Finally finished setting up an eWerks between my SON dynamo and Garmin 30 on my bent trike.
It's fine until I drop below ~3.2 mph which is easy to do climbing a steep hill.
Then it starts to complain that it lost power -> stop complaining -> starts complaining -> stops complaining with about a 2 sec cycle ......  >:(
Full route details will be available about 2 weeks before the event. But a number of people on this thread have worked out the route in good detail and its unlikely to change much from that. In the spirit of Mike, when he organised his valley cat events riders had little to no advance notice of the route and had to work out their route before setting off. As such two weeks advanced notice is generous and fairly typical for audax. My advice would be to plan for approx 100km of no supply after Dolgellau if your on the 400km. I've not figured out the 600km yet.
The Sporting Life / Re: Arsene Wenga
« Last post by Basil on Today at 10:59:55 pm »
Ok. Ta.  Errr, Title modified.
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by hellymedic on Today at 10:54:45 pm »
YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.  THIS VEHICLE IS ANNOYING.

I make various sounds when being pushed.
'Excuse me please.'
'WARNING, HIS VEHICLE IS ADVANCING.'
'BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP'

Takes a lot to shift some folk!
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by Gattopardo on Today at 10:50:35 pm »
Fitted a new, quiet, non-crud encrusted filling wotsit for the kharzi  in the new flat.

Loosened off, or so I thought, the gate valve in the hot water supply with a tool that it looks like my Dad made some eons ago for such a purpose. The wheel on the valve now goes, in the manner of those on the bus, round and round. Disfortunately it makes cock all difference to the rate of water flow. I think I borked something in the valve. New one purchased but getting it in will be a pain, as bother bits of pipe are fixed, one being the outlet from the cold tank the other plastered solid into its hole in the wall. I see hammering, swearing and light demolition in my future.

Gate valves are crap for regulating flow. 10% open gives 90% flow. So don’t expect too much of the replacement. If you want flow regulation fit a needle valve.
Noted, although I'm not looking for regulation, I'm looking for isolation. At the moment I have to let the cold tank run dry before I can work on the hot side.

Freeze pipr kit, freeze pipe change valve.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10