Author Topic: Streamer Windscreen front post length?  (Read 1765 times)

Streamer Windscreen front post length?
« on: 27 August, 2017, 02:16:44 pm »
Would somebody be kind enough to measure the front supporting post (under boom to lower bow) for me, please?
I'm beginning to think that mine has been cut down.
Inches or cm's is good. I'm a nearly modern old chappy.
Cheers
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Streamer Windscreen front post length?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2017, 10:43:05 pm »
Both the top and bottom supports should be the same length when not on the trike as they are interchangable being exactly the same part.
If one is shorter than the other then you may be right about one being cut down.
I've about an inch showing below the front bracket.
But I use 170mm cranks and size 42 sandles with the cleats as far back as possible.
Those three variables will alter exactly how my room you need up front.
Mine is fitted so when clipped in, if I tip my toes forward then they just catch on the front bow.
Then the back is set up so with the seat at it's most reclined, the fairing is just under eye level.

But it's can be a fiddly fit to get the angles/lengths correct.
I tried a Windcheater fairing at ICE and couldn't get it to fit me.
No matter how I tried altering the mounting brackets/tube lengths, I always knocked my knees/feet against some part of the fairing or I couldn't get on/off the trike with the fairing in place.
Whereas I never had any trouble with the Streamer fairing.

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2017, 03:10:56 pm »
Both the top and bottom supports should be the same length when not on the trike as they are interchangable being exactly the same part.
If one is shorter than the other then you may be right about one being cut down.
I've about an inch showing below the front bracket.
But I use 170mm cranks and size 42 sandles with the cleats as far back as possible.
Those three variables will alter exactly how my room you need up front.
Mine is fitted so when clipped in, if I tip my toes forward then they just catch on the front bow.
Then the back is set up so with the seat at it's most reclined, the fairing is just under eye level.

But it's can be a fiddly fit to get the angles/lengths correct.
I tried a Windcheater fairing at ICE and couldn't get it to fit me.
No matter how I tried altering the mounting brackets/tube lengths, I always knocked my knees/feet against some part of the fairing or I couldn't get on/off the trike with the fairing in place.
Whereas I never had any trouble with the Streamer fairing.

Thanks Tigerbiten
I only have the one original post. The other I will make from suitable tube.
Can you tell me the overall length of your forward post, please. We have the same crank length and shoe size, it seems.
Cheers

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2017, 05:12:32 pm »
Mine's very roughly around 18"/450mm/2 span.
Cannot be more accurate as no tape measure ........  ;D

Are you going to have a fixed fairing or one you can move/swing forward to help you get on and off ??
If fixed then the best method for the back support is to extend the line of the derailleur post.
My post is ~15" to just under where the back bow is and then I've a short bracket (~4" tall) to fit the fairing at the correct height.
This gives you the maximum room to swing your feet  out sideways before standing up.
Your other option is just a vertical post off the main frame.
It will be harder to get out past it but thats where it tends to be for a moveable fairing.
It's slightly more tricky if you make it so it swing/lifts forward as you'll need some type of hinged/quick release joint.
Not to sure how to design that as my fairings have always been fixed.

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2017, 05:53:23 pm »
Mine's very roughly around 18"/450mm/2 span.
Cannot be more accurate as no tape measure ........  ;D

Are you going to have a fixed fairing or one you can move/swing forward to help you get on and off ??
If fixed then the best method for the back support is to extend the line of the derailleur post.
My post is ~15" to just under where the back bow is and then I've a short bracket (~4" tall) to fit the fairing at the correct height.
This gives you the maximum room to swing your feet  out sideways before standing up.
Your other option is just a vertical post off the main frame.
It will be harder to get out past it but thats where it tends to be for a moveable fairing.
It's slightly more tricky if you make it so it swing/lifts forward as you'll need some type of hinged/quick release joint.
Not to sure how to design that as my fairings have always been fixed.

My forward post is only 35cm! Ntw, I'll either replace it or sleeve it.
I'm uncertain what to do about the rear post. I was going to do it like yours (Chris D sent me photos) but Kev D at D'Tek tells me he has seen stress fractures in the derailleur post from setting up like that. Also, I'm not as gainly as I once was so I will probably make it swing & lift.
We have a line prop that I could 'borrow'. It is light steel tube with a one handed olive style fastener, or there is the garden umbrella with a cam closure. Choices, choices.

« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »
I'm uncertain what to do about the rear post. I was going to do it like yours (Chris D sent me photos) but Kev D at D'Tek tells me he has seen stress fractures in the derailleur post from setting up like that. Also, I'm not as gainly as I once was so I will probably make it swing & lift.
Mines been on for 6 years now, with a crash hard enough to bend the post, with no trouble.
As for getting on and off, I've cut my fairing straight across just after the back frame.
It's now much easier to get on and off but I have lost some weather cover.

PS. Any frame mounted lights won't work shining through the fairing.
The light bounces back off the inside of the fairing and you cannot see anything past this if your eye level is just above the fairing.

« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2017, 03:40:22 pm »
Mines been on for 6 years now, with a crash hard enough to bend the post, with no trouble.
As for getting on and off, I've cut my fairing straight across just after the back frame.
It's now much easier to get on and off but I have lost some weather cover.

PS. Any frame mounted lights won't work shining through the fairing.
The light bounces back off the inside of the fairing and you cannot see anything past this if your eye level is just above the fairing.

Thanks for your help Tigerbiten  :)