Author Topic: Stick with Pentax or jump ship?  (Read 2717 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Stick with Pentax or jump ship?
« on: 15 October, 2017, 02:23:42 pm »
Following on from my thread last year, on what to upgrade my K100D to, I still haven't got round to buying a new DSLR.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=99567.0

I still don't have a massive investment in Pentax lenses, the most expensive being the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6, and a Zenitar 16mm f2.8 fish eye.

However I'm increasing finding myself limited with the K100D, primarily the very slow RAW performance of the camera. 

Is it worthwhile upgrading to a newer Pentax body, and retain my existing lenses, or would I get more bang for my buck jumping ship to Canon / Nikon?  My main photography interest lies in landscapes, particularly wide angle / panoramics. 

I'm certainly interested to hear other's thoughts on this!  I'd prefer a DSLR, rather than a mirrorless camera.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Stick with Pentax or jump ship?
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2017, 03:51:46 pm »
If I weren't already locked into full frame (and had the money again) I'd go for a Nikon D500 - lovely camera with a professional interface, i.e. lots of lovely dedicated buttons instead of having to faff about with menus, and no waste-of-space mode dial. Lots of AF points, 10 frames/sec (prolly JPEG, didn't look for RAW), tilting LCD... and I wouldn't have had to fork out of FF lenses either.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »
If I weren't already locked into full frame (and had the money again) I'd go for a Nikon D500 - lovely camera with a professional interface, i.e. lots of lovely dedicated buttons instead of having to faff about with menus, and no waste-of-space mode dial. Lots of AF points, 10 frames/sec (prolly JPEG, didn't look for RAW), tilting LCD... and I wouldn't have had to fork out of FF lenses either.

Lol, I'd be looking to pay less than a quarter of the price of a Nikon D500 for a new dslr!

BrianI

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2017, 09:07:21 am »
To conclude this thread, I eventually ended up going for a Canon 750D, with 18-55mm kit lens & Canon 10-18mm F4-5.6. The moths in my wallet certainly got a fright!  :o

Looks like I've made a good change - the focus of the Canon kit lens is super fast (and silent) compared to ye olde worlde screw drive on the Pentax K100D.

Now to save up for a nice 100mm macro lens for bugs and beasties! :-)

Really looking forward to mastering the new camera, just what I needed to get my photography-fu back again!  ;D

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
To conclude this thread, I eventually ended up going for a Canon 750D, with 18-55mm kit lens & Canon 10-18mm F4-5.6. The moths in my wallet certainly got a fright!  :o

Looks like I've made a good change - the focus of the Canon kit lens is super fast (and silent) compared to ye olde worlde screw drive on the Pentax K100D.

Now to save up for a nice 100mm macro lens for bugs and beasties! :-)

Really looking forward to mastering the new camera, just what I needed to get my photography-fu back again!  ;D

Remember... RAW+JPEG
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2018, 05:16:04 pm »
BrianI, do you still have the Pentax 100D and is it looking for a new home?