Author Topic: Anyone cycled LA-Tecemula area via the mountains?  (Read 1068 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Anyone cycled LA-Tecemula area via the mountains?
« on: 22 January, 2018, 05:04:16 pm »
I'm going to be in LA later this year and will be popping down to Temecula, on the way to San Diego, to visit family. I'd like to cycle it, over a couple of days, but I don't fancy the coastal route and would rather head further inland and take a more challenging route with some climbs, with an overnight in, say, San Bernadino or similar.

I'll be starting off in Thousand Oaks, so my thought was to head eastwards away from the city and eventually turn southwards once I'm well clear of the 'burbs. 

Does anyone have any knowledge of that area that they can share, or route recommendations?  I'll be travelling on my audax bike and happy to 100-120 miles a day. I'll have spent the previous two weeks in the Rockies, so altitude won't be a concern  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Re: Anyone cycled LA-Tecemula area via the mountains?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »
I lived in Ontario, San Bernadino County 18 years ago and rode with local clubs.  So my memories are very old.  I think you will have to go a long way inland to get clear of suburbia.  Most of my riding was in the north-south range of Pasadena to Riverside, we would venture a little east into the mountains or all the way west to the sea.  If looping way to the east I suspect you will still have many miles of suburbs on the approaches to Temecula.  Sorry, that was probably of no help at all in trying to avoid suburbs.  Some of my favourite rides were over Carbon Canyon (Brea) and San Timoteo Canyon  out of Redlands (a cafe on the fishing lake at the top).

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Anyone cycled LA-Temecula area via the mountains?
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2018, 12:12:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice, Tatanab.  Yes, it certainly looks like about 40 miles of sprawl before I get clear of Burbank (unless I take a meandering route through the canyon!).  I may see if I can get someone to drive me out to there.  After that I am thinking of heading through the Angeles National Forest, through Cedar Springs and Wrightwood, then turning SE towards San Bernadino, but if I can find somewhere to stay that would enable me to bypass the city then I'll do that instead.

Day 2, I envisage a sightly roundabout route to Temecula, passing through the San Jacinto Park and skirting Hemet.  But I'll need to do some more detailed planning nearer the time.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?