Author Topic: Old buggers' walking trip - Pembrokeshire Coastal Path - 14th - 30th June 2018  (Read 3257 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
I have been doing a bit of research re "cheap" return tickets. I am hoping that some will become available but the fairly random set of dates I have so far put into the machine haven't found any. I can buy a walk-on ticket from Haverfordwest to Southend Central for £65.50, including the Old Buggers' Rail Card reduction. That's about £99 without the OBRC. However, Haverfordwest to Swansea can be purchased fo £10.85, Swansea to Paddington for £32.35 and Paddington to Southend Central for £11.50, a total of £54.70 and therefore a saving of £10.80 simply by asking the ticket office bod the right questions.

FFS renationalise them!
Basses lower the tone.

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
I am going to Peterborough next week.  If I buy a straight through ticket I pay over double the cost of two tickets.  I have to change trains at Nuneaton regardless. 

I simply don't understand why the ticket system doesn't give you the best deal.

Oh, perhaps I do... 

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
My brother had exactly the same issue when he had a regular journey from Shrewsbury to Bangor for a weekly teaching appointment. If he bought a ticket straight through, it cost £7 more than if he "broke" the journey at Chester, even though he was on exactly the same trains for both.
Basses lower the tone.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
I have packed my rucksack with most of teh stuff off my checklist. I haven't put in my waterproof or a bottle of water yet. It comes to 11kg or thereabouts.
Basses lower the tone.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
Still no cheap tickets back from Haverfordwest for the dates we want. However, rather nice £19-odd tickets are available from Swansea to Southend in mid-June.

I shall probably buy a ticket for 1st July or thereabouts if and when the cheap ones become available. This will add a little extra time should we fall behind our schedule, but, importantly, if we do finish to time, will allow me a day or two at the West Hook campsite and with it a visit to Marloes Beach and/or Skomer Island.

I don't want to find myself time-constrained and abandoning the walk with only about 20 miles left to do, and therefore forced to come back later for unfinished business.
Basses lower the tone.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
I have a large and very good Lowe Alpine rucksack that can be borrowed. With the extending lid, it goes up to 90 litres, about 75 with the lid in normal position.

I don't know the north coast stretch, but the spectacular stuff is on the South IMHO. Make sure to pop inland at Bosherston by way of the lily ponds, as (a) it is gorgeous and (b) there is a pub there. The stretch by St Govan's has the chapel, the Castlemartin tank ranges (which can divert the path), the Green Bridge, Huntsman's Leap and an awful lot of seabirds. Much auking and a lot of choughs. Views out to Lundy.

Bosherston also usually has a lagoon , so that those fond of al fresco bathing can find a little warmer water. There is a campsite inland at St Petrox (don't know if it is still open) that has an old church tower one can ascend for ace views. Seaside cafe used to be by Traeth Mawr, campsite there now, and the ascent afterwards used to go past a mini 'Pentre Ifan', regularly used in  dramatic photos but which is only about two feet high. Not to be confused with Coetan Arthur.

Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
Thanks, Steph. I think I'm OK in the rucksack dept. My Vango is pretty good.

Another walk today. I'm finding 10 miles walks pretty routine at the moment. I think I must sort out a longer one...

http://gentlemancyclist.org.uk/2018/04/13/a-flat-stroll/
Basses lower the tone.

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
Impressive progress as well as interesting reading Wow.  I admire your dedication to this.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
I have purchased a ticket for the return journey, leaving Manorbier at 9.29am. £20.45 with the OBRC. I'll just have to get to Manorbier from Cardigan! I'm sure there will be buses.

Manorbier was selected because a) there is a camp site less than half a mile from the station and b) my grandmother was born there. Her father was a freeman of Haverfordwest.
Basses lower the tone.

I'll just have to get to Manorbier from Cardigan! I'm sure there will be buses.

My tickets have cost £62, advance tickets, no discount cards, for the two major journeys. Southend to Kilgetty and the return Manorbier to Southend. Same trains as Wow but maybe different coach on the return.
I guess a bus from St. Dogmaels (sp) to Cardigan and thence to Manorbier won't cost too much but why are we going to Cardigan?  ???
Cardigan to Manorbier is a three bus journey according to google.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Fair point indeed! If you aren't tied to specific Manorbier trains, why not bus it down to Abergwaun ("Fishguard") and hop a train to Whitland, picking up the line coming from Manorbier?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
Well, I hadn't checked any bus timetables so I assumed that Cardigan, which is very close to Poppit Sands (the official end of the walk) would be a good place to get the bus. It appears that St. Dogmaels is on that bus route.
Basses lower the tone.