Author Topic: VDSL modem / router setup.  (Read 3136 times)

VDSL modem / router setup.
« on: 22 March, 2018, 09:40:51 am »
We’ve just ordered fibre internet, due to commence on 28th. I currently have a TP-Link Archer ADSL/VDSL modem/router, chosen for this eventuality. Is it likely to be a simple matter of running through the setup routine to re-establish connection? I had a quick look just now and the first step of the setup is to select your provider, but the standard list is only of ADSL providers plus “other”. Or will plugging in the VDSL connection (though in fact there’s only one input so I assume the existing micro filter to modem cable will remain the same) alter the setup options?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: VDSL modem / router setup.
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2018, 09:48:19 am »
If this really is fibre internet then a VDLS modem wont work with it. VDSL is for an internet connection over you standard copper phone line.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2018, 10:06:29 am »
Poor terminology from me - it’s FTTC over the phone line like the majority  :). And it’s the Vr900 version of the AC1900 that is a modem/router has dual ADSL / VDSL capability.

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2018, 10:13:12 am »
And a bit of clicking about tells me that selecting “other” then takes me to a screen where I can select VDSL and manually configure the connection. I’ll call my ISP bef orehand and make sure I have all the relevant details  :)

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2018, 11:06:08 am »
OK FTTC.

You wont need a micro filter any more as BT should install a new master socket with a separate VDSL and phone ports.

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2018, 11:19:57 am »
You wont need a micro filter any more as BT should install a new master socket with a separate VDSL and phone ports.

I didn't get a new master socket (and none of the sockets in my flat look like a master socket[1]) and still need a microfilter for BT Infinity (FTTC). Didn't even have a BT engineer come to the house.

The original BT Infinity installations had a separate Openreach modem like this:-

and BT used to come out to do the installation of the Openreach modem (and probably rejig the socket).

But now FTTC is just done with a Homehub 5 that plugs into the phone socket (through a microfilter if you don't have a double socket). No engineer if you don't request one. See slide 2 here: https://www.slideshare.net/telephonesonline/bt-home-hub-5-user-guide

(My point is, don't expect the master socket to be changed to a double socket, they only seem to do this if you don't get the expected speeds.)

1. My flat is a part of a converted house, the wiring is all over the place and I think that, at some point, there were two lines coming in to the flat as two of the sockets (spare bedroom and kitchen) are dead. I don't care as I get a reliable 60Mbps/20Mbps with BT Infinity.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2018, 11:28:22 am »
Not really relevant, but worth noting.
I have Hyperoptic, which is fantastic. This is fibre to the building. They bring a (BT) fibre link into the basement of a building, where there is a cabinet with router equipment.
Cat 5 cabling is then run to each apartment. The wireless router I have has Cat 5 ports for the provider (wallbox) side and for any local devices I might have.
Hyperoptic works a treat.

I am in the Rotherhithe area in London which had notoriously awful ADSL. Int he summer you woudl have droputs when the temperature went up.
The ADSL problems are a consequence of the massive expansion in housing in the area, plus I am told that the existing phoen lines wer eused as alarm lines by the dock warehouses, so go straight back to the exchange which is some distance away in Bermondsey. Also there were two routes for the lines, and I was near the furthest point on both routes.
All solved by Hyperoptic - so we can stream 4K movies no problem!

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2018, 11:58:58 am »
My TPLink W9980 has a list of providers, listing the ADSL and VDSL connections separately.  Is the firmware on your router up to date?

« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2018, 12:07:44 pm »
My TPLink W9980 has a list of providers, listing the ADSL and VDSL connections separately.  Is the firmware on your router up to date?

I’ll check that.

@Pat, it’s not BT it’s Plusnet (owned by BT I know) but AFAIK all they’ll do is switch the service and, if I’d wanted it, supply their own branded modem. No mention of any visits.

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2018, 12:14:28 pm »
I didnt realise they had stopped visiting. When they upgraded our village they came round and "installed" the homehub for everyone and changed the master socket at the same time.