Author Topic: Think I'll pack it in and buy a (motorhome)  (Read 7862 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Think I'll pack it in and buy a (motorhome)
« on: 25 March, 2018, 10:28:26 pm »
For those who have been following my post elsewhere things are finally coming to a close and I will be taking (forced) early retirement. Mrs W threw up the suggestion a few days ago that I use some of my lump sum to buy a motorhome, that we let out the house and head off to mainland Europe for 12 months -  turning the events of the past 2 years into something positive  ::-)

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Think I'll pack it in and buy a (motorhome)
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:35:59 pm »
Do it.

Do it before getting across the borders becomes a right bloody faff.

Do it while you still can.

Do it  now because 32 years in the NHS means you bloody deserve a holiday.

Just. Fucking. Do. It.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:37:34 pm »
Wot Clare sez

JFDI
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:48:24 pm »
There's a motorhome near us with the legend "Adventure Before Dementia" emblasoned across the back.  ;D

As Dave says.  JFDI.   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2018, 11:02:28 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:06:55 am »
Wot they ^^^^ said.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:08:50 am »
Definitely do it!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:18:29 am »
We bought one 18 months ago and haven't regretted it for 1 minute.

It's a base for cycling in new areas, seeing new places and an excuse for me to photograph/video those places.

I'm just waiting for my job to wind up, sell the house and we're off into Europe/Scandinavia until we get bored.

If you are interested here is my blog, starting when we bought ours...  (I'll start you off on our French trip last year) >>>HUMBERTO the Hymer<<<

The people who inspired us are >>> OUR TOUR <<<

Happy dreaming and planning.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:55:33 am »
Sounds like an awesome plan.  However, I think two years would be a better touring window.

Don't forget to hang a bike on the back.   8)   :thumbsup: 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:57:48 am »
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 26 March, 2018, 12:57:29 pm »
Definitely go for it. A cousin of my wife is currently in Spain  getting close to 80 days in to a trip with his wife in their motorhome. Having the time of their lives.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #11 on: 26 March, 2018, 01:20:54 pm »
We swapped our caravan for a motor home two years ago ,when Mrs.M had a life changing health problem. Although we haven’t done a grand tour ( The Orkney islands is the furthest so far), we have not regretted spending the money.
My advice is to look at the continental models with a full garage at the back. It keeps the bikes and all the other paraphernalia hidden away from the scumbags. Don’t go for too small a van if you are considering a grand tour-7 metres is about the minimum suggested length for long term use.
You may find it worthwhile getting a permanent refillable LPG tank fitted so that you aren’t faced with having lots of different Calor type cylinder adapters as you move across borders.
There’s plenty of advice on a website called motorhomefun and on the two main UK club websites.
Go for it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 26 March, 2018, 01:24:36 pm »
Don't forget to hang a bike on the back.   8)   :thumbsup:

Better yet, get one with a good storage compartment so that the bikes aren't visible. Chum has a 2007 Burstner Elegance that'll take 2 or 3 bikes upright.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 26 March, 2018, 01:28:41 pm »
Agreed. There is a specific Fiamma bike rack for fitting inside the garage area.
I bodged mine a bit to avoid screwing directly into the external insulated panels. If you get to that stage,PM me and I will tell you what I did.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14 on: 26 March, 2018, 01:53:51 pm »
As others have said, JFDI
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #15 on: 26 March, 2018, 02:25:53 pm »
I'm gonna tag on my two-penneth-worth too. Don't dither – do it. Then plan on where to head off to Europe. But before you do, check out first whether any close friends who'll be possibly holidaying in Europe in a holiday cottage, etc, might have a spare bed for the pair of you. They might even have a cottage with a pool!!?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #16 on: 26 March, 2018, 02:27:42 pm »
I think you should tour down to Lisbon in late May and early June, and offer a bed to any forumites who just so happen to be passing that way at that time   ;D

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #17 on: 26 March, 2018, 02:48:56 pm »
That sounds like a brilliant plan! JEDI!

« Reply #18 on: 26 March, 2018, 02:52:56 pm »
Do iiiiit!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #19 on: 26 March, 2018, 03:49:05 pm »
Choosing the internal layout of your motorhome warrants some time & thinking...and viewing.  I can't think of any subject area that involves so many compromises.

If you want everything then you end up with a 12 metre "Winnebago" RV (and the compromise is that you can't access 75% of campsites in it).
If you want something that handles like a car and fits nicely into NCP car-parks then you end up with a tiny internal space and water barrels on the floor, outside.

I absolutely understand the attraction of a garage in a motorhome.  However, for us, that took up too much space internally (a garage usually means a permanent, raised, bed).   

For full-timing in a motorhome I'd recommend:

- GAS-IT conversion (other makes available) so you can carry lots of LPG, buy it cheaply, and top it up conveniently.  Calor gas is an expensive pain in the arse, more so abroad.
- Solar Panel. The bigger the better, to keep your leisure battery topped up without the need for 240V hook-up, or driving.
- A model with big fresh water and waste water tanks on-board
Those 3 things will allow you to go "off grid" anywhere for days at a time.  In fact we are limited by Loo emptying more than any other factor.

- Winterised design.  This is where continental models score much higher than UK manufacturers.  German models, more than any, are built to withstand cold/freezing weather.  That often includes a heated sub-floor, where the water tanks are located.  Let's be frank, German models are usually better built than UK models ......but you sure do pay a premium for it.
A typical UK motorhome won't fare well in sub-freezing temperatures (because the water tanks are often exposed).  That matters less if you are chasing the sun through southern Europe but more if you head to Norway (or even want to use it in the UK all year round).
- Decent payload. OK, some (all) manufacturers are economical with the facts when providing payload information.  It's vital you don't exceed the max payload for your vehicle (let's say 3500kg) because your insurers will walk away in the event of a crash (but the Police may walk towards you).   Many brochures claim an unrealistic payload. 
For example they may say it has a 300kg payload, which sounds a lot.  However, you need to check whether that includes a full tank of fuel, full water tanks, passengers..and so on.
My water tank holds about 100kg full.  Same for Diesel and potentially the same in waste water.  Add 25kg of LPG, 3 bikes, wine, beer..it all adds up.
I'd say that almost all the 6 berth Motorhomes I've seen are bound to be illegally overloaded if carrying 6 people with luggage. 

I think it's best to sit in as many as possible and imagine that it will be raining for the next week.  How happy would you be in that layout for a week?  If it's sunny and 30 degrees then who cares about the internal layout?  You'll be sat outside under the awning with a chilled Rosé, but trapped inside for a long spell changes things.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! (You'll be drooling in an old people's home when you're 85.....trying to remember what it was you wished you'd done in 2018)

« Reply #20 on: 26 March, 2018, 04:22:02 pm »
I'm totally with Lee except I'd do it in a basic Nissan env 200 conversion and go all minimalist.   

I know, I know: charging electric vehicles is so much of a pain but think about it - what will you be rushing too.  Most of Europe's cities have plentiful charging facilities and you can plug in on site and charge too.   I would rather use a proper sized loo and shower which I don't have to maintain so my money would be spent more on facilities than a van full of luxuries.

Oh, the 2018 env  200 comes with a 40kwh battery probably good for 140 realistic miles between charges which is plenty when sauntering about.

Whichever you choose I am already looking forward to the regular updates and your photos.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 26 March, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »
Oh.. I forgot ...

RENT ONE FIRST!!!!

You'll know within a weekend whether it's for you or whether you just avoided an expensive mistake. 
We'd wanted one for years and rented one for a week.  It helped confirm it WAS what we wanted, what layout would suit us best, and what we really didn't need.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22 on: 26 March, 2018, 06:19:00 pm »
Oh.. I forgot ...

RENT ONE FIRST!!!!

You'll know within a weekend whether it's for you or whether you just avoided an expensive mistake. 
We'd wanted one for years and rented one for a week.  It helped confirm it WAS what we wanted, what layout would suit us best, and what we really didn't need.

Top advice.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 26 March, 2018, 06:30:39 pm »
I'm totally with Lee except I'd do it in a basic Nissan env 200 conversion and go all minimalist.   

I know, I know: charging electric vehicles is so much of a pain but think about it - what will you be rushing too.  Most of Europe's cities have plentiful charging facilities and you can plug in on site and charge too.   I would rather use a proper sized loo and shower which I don't have to maintain so my money would be spent more on facilities than a van full of luxuries.

Oh, the 2018 env  200 comes with a 40kwh battery probably good for 140 realistic miles between charges which is plenty when sauntering about.

Whichever you choose I am already looking forward to the regular updates and your photos.

As an experienced EV driver, I wouldn't. The battery really is too small and the range too little. Mind you, once there's an EV camper van with a 150 mile range, that's for me...

There used to be a guy driving a motor home round these parts who had placed the clearly legible message on the back "I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER SWIFT MOTORHOME. ASK DRIVER FOR DETAILS. TELEPHONE 01702 nnnnnn"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #24 on: 26 March, 2018, 07:20:59 pm »
There used to be a guy driving a motor home round these parts who had placed the clearly legible message on the back "I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER SWIFT MOTORHOME. ASK DRIVER FOR DETAILS. TELEPHONE 01702 nnnnnn"

Many British manufactures did (and still do) use softwood as part of the construction.  They are gradually moving away from it (my good friend is a supplier of composites to the industry and is frustrated that they do) but it lingers on as part of their 1950s construction techniques.

You pays your money..etc.  British Motorhomes can be extremely good value and they certainly dominate the British scene.

Anecdote.  We knew the (British) motorhome we wanted to buy and went to see a used one.  The layout was perfect and we'd spent a long time refining our selection to this model.  We looked around the one at the dealer showroom and were distinctly unimpressed with the fit and finish.  The layout was great but the cupboards and internals certainly felt built down to a price.
Next to it was a (German) Burstner, same price but about twice the age and higher mileage.  The internal furniture felt solid and heavy, like domestic furniture.  We remarked about the finish to the dealer, "It's German ", was his reply, "hence the price".

With a slightly different layout we'd have bought the Burstner.  We eventually found our perfect layout in a Hymer.  Our compromise (there's always at least one) was loads of internal space for sitting, working, slouching (for when we get trapped inside on rainy weeks) at the expense of a garage.  It's an A-Class with a double bed that drops down from the cab roof in 10 seconds and frees up the whole inside for day use.  It depends on whether you want to sit upright of have the option to slouch.

Here's my less than professional walk-around tour of our Hymer B544 where I say "loads of storage" too many times (and we've now managed to fill it).  https://youtu.be/huTQKjJ5qNc

External storage here shows how we deal with the lack of garage - https://youtu.be/vPfTL-gcH8g

It generally has enough essentials on board (clothes, boots, long-life milk, soup, coffee ..etc) that all we need to do it put some fresh water in the tank via a hosepipe and we're good to go.  The solar panels keep the batteries at 100% on the driveway.

Did I mention that many pubs let you stay overnight for free* in their car parks?  That has provided some of our best stops  (BRITSTOPS is a book that documents hundreds of them but there are Apps that do the same thing all through Europe).

*Caveat.  The pubs usually expect you to go in and buy some drinks in return for the favour.  I know, it's unfortunate, but we force ourselves to do it, it's the polite thing to do.