Author Topic: Garden hoze nozzles - are they all basically cheese?  (Read 2025 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Garden hoze nozzles - are they all basically cheese?
« on: 30 March, 2018, 02:56:31 pm »
#youknowyouremiddleagedwhenyoupostthisquestion

Are there any exceptions? All the plastic ones we've had have broken under little provocation. Bought an alloy-bodied one, seemed much stirdier than most ... the plastic adjuster-thiungy broke.

Was feeling very smug with my "Kaercher" bought last year - it's quite a nice non-flimsy design, feels solid, and being German it has to last forever, shirley??

Nozzle cracked off during recent snow spell  :facepalm: (despite surviving much much colder temps)

SO:   I'm tempted to buy another not-the-cheapest one, and try to bring it indoors during any frost*. Good strategy?
Or are there any genuinely non-cheese brands out there??

*We are in Oxon, so that's not toooo many nights-a-year. And the nozzle sits at tap height, just a few inches from the warmth of the kitchen wall.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Garden hoze nozzles - are they all basically cheese?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2018, 03:00:39 pm »
Yes.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2018, 03:02:14 pm »
There must be an industrial supplier of non-cheese versions, surely?  Perhaps for marine or firefighting applications?

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2018, 03:09:22 pm »
You can get brass ones. Not sure if all the internals will be brass as well though. To be honest I put mine away in the winter so its been a non issue.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2018, 03:41:14 pm »
David bought a spendy brass nozzle from one of the sheds (probably B&Q) which has not yet failed.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2018, 02:50:56 pm »
There must be an industrial supplier of non-cheese versions, surely?  Perhaps for marine or firefighting applications?

Indeed; I suspect they may use larger diameter pipe, and a rather higher flow-rate! But there must be professional gardeners etc using something reliable with normal domestic tap pressure. My googling fails to find it :(

David bought a spendy brass nozzle from one of the sheds (probably B&Q) which has not yet failed.
If David's has lasted a good while, please let me know the model. I've seen quite a few brass items online which are nevertheless very cheaply made  :facepalm: It seems  there is a lot of stuff out there that looks nice, but has serious weakness somewhere.

(If you have better things to do than roll-out to the shed, I shan't be surprised! :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2018, 03:00:28 pm »
We have been using a hozelock top of the range for some years now, it has outlived several other camembert crafted items (have several hose guns)

This is the current version

https://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/spray-gun-watering/multi-spray-ultramax/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2018, 03:07:07 pm »
I can't recall seeing any branding on the nozzle. I could ask David to have a look.

Being unable to stand unsupported is a pain.

We definitely had Hozelock branded stuffs, as well as B&Q's own brand fittings. Neither seem to have been durable.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2018, 03:12:18 pm »

Indeed; I suspect they may use larger diameter pipe, and a rather higher flow-rate! But there must be professional gardeners etc using something reliable with normal domestic tap pressure. My googling fails to find it :(

Yes, that chunky yellow hose that you see people watering parks and so on with a sort of twist-lock coupling.

Ah-ha!  The magic word for the fittings is 'GEKA'.  Lots of brass and replaceable washers.  It seems there are various hose diameters, and the GEKA coupling is often attached (at the tap and at the nozzle) via a BSP threaded connector, with the Hozelock style available as an alternative.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2018, 07:56:08 pm »
I can't recall seeing any branding on the nozzle. I could ask David to have a look.

Being unable to stand unsupported is a pain.

We definitely had Hozelock branded stuffs, as well as B&Q's own brand fittings. Neither seem to have been durable.
Cool, thanks for the info; it looks like I have enough info from the last couple of posts. The good stuff isn't cheap  :o  But that's life!

[I gave in and bought another cheap plastic Hozelock gun today as I was in Screwfix anyway  ::-) On the plus side, I have a couple of clean bikes now. We'll see if it makes it through the British "spring", but when it fails I shall buy a *decent* one  :thumbsup:  ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2018, 09:53:18 pm »
I've had a Hozelock gun for maybe at least 10 years.  It's a bit battered, but it still works fine.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 02 April, 2018, 09:49:11 pm »
1. German brand =! German manufacture
2. German manufacture =! German quality.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 02 April, 2018, 10:54:45 pm »
I stick with Gardena mainly as I use their hose brush and shampoo and wax tablets for car washing, though they seem to be have been largely squeezed out by Hozelock. I also use a brass adjustable nozzle which I think came from Wilkos.

The only problem I've had is that the couplers on all makes start to leak as the rubber O rings on the male parts wear. I bought a job lot of replacement O rings off ebay, which solved the problem. If anyone needs a few, PM me.

rr

« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2018, 12:13:15 am »
Brass fittings currently in Aldi, the ones I bought last year are lasting well.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2018, 06:18:08 am »
Buy cheap and buy two. The flimsy crappy thing I bought in Lidl years ago just won't die.