Author Topic: Dry at any cost!?  (Read 1623 times)

Dry at any cost!?
« on: 31 March, 2018, 10:37:49 pm »
Arrows attempt...

the Endura FS260 Pro SL Shell Jacket was exceptional, completely dry underneath while adding a much-needed warming layer - excellent!

The £14 Aldi waterproof socks performed well enough, sodden boots, dry feet.

The 'waterproof' gloves with 'waterproof' mitts were nothing more than sponges after just one hour of rain.

Waterproof gloves; be they cycling, motorcycling, snowboarding or skiing - is there such a thing?

Re: Dry at any cost!?
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2018, 10:49:06 pm »
Marigolds?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2018, 08:31:43 am »
Many decades ago as a despatch rider I asked a motorcycle shop for some waterproof gloves. They sold me some Oxford Aquaproofs. They were waterproof, completely! The water ran down my sleeve and into the glove , there to stay, until the beast was removed and upended to empty it. One of my fellow riders advised me to get some thin racing gloves that I could push inside the cuff of my jacket, which turned out to be a lot warmer and no less dry. Waterproof overgloves and silk undergloves for really cold days and the problem was solved.

Edit: forgot to make clear, I was a motorcycle despatch rider, not a bike courier! Sorry for any ambiguity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2018, 01:21:42 pm »
Quite.  Gloves are going to get wet from the inside if you cycle in them, so it's mostly about keeping warm.  Windproofness and not acting like a sponge are more important that ultimate waterproofing.

Silk liners make wet gloves infinitely more pleasant.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2018, 06:45:49 pm »
Quite.  Gloves are going to get wet from the inside if you cycle in them, so it's mostly about keeping warm.  Windproofness and not acting like a sponge are more important that ultimate waterproofing.

Silk liners make wet gloves infinitely more pleasant.

Agreed. The only dry gloves I've found for cycling In were the dry gloves from my dry suit. Completely impractical.

When it's cold and rainy, I use a pair of buffalo mitts. They cost £35, but for keeping hands warm even in sleet nothing else seems to come close.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2018, 11:23:19 pm »
Spada over mitts - big waterproof bags that go over your gloves.  Ideally with the cuffs inside the jacket sleeve though that isn't always possible, if not there's still two elasticated seals for the water to get through.  They're not pretty and some care needs to be taken using brakes and STIs.  They can also provide some entertainment for your companions as you try and get the second one on while wearing the first....  I've found the easiest is to put them on before the jacket, but the zip can then be awkward.  As Kim says any glove will eventually get wet from inside, though at least with these you can choose what gloves to wear, if it's not too cold cycling mitts inside these work for me and despite the faff it's worth only putting them on when needed.  TBH if I'm out for an hour or two I don't bother, but if it's a situation where wet gloves might have to be worn for hours or days I'll take more care of keeping them dry.  They pack reasonably small so are easy to carry.
https://www.ghostbikes.com/products/4888-spada-overmitts-wp-motorcycle-gloves.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkpfWBRDZARIsAAfeXaooV_CoaZXVgWAoqCxTYTd-cEX_Q0oqDhB07SjiMdGEHIZaj1L_ayMaAhy5EALw_wcB

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2018, 05:05:38 am »
Thanks one and all.

In summary - ‘man-up’ (whatever that means)