Author Topic: A week in Wiltshire  (Read 2483 times)

A week in Wiltshire
« on: 20 May, 2018, 07:49:07 am »
Jonathan notp is interested in a base for a week long tour in Wiltshire. Ideally a area with a Good network of lanes .He will use b and b accommodation and I will camp hopefully somewhere nearby . Any ideas where would be nice ? Thanks :-)
the slower you go the more you see

Re: A week in Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2018, 02:13:39 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2018, 03:35:40 pm »
The Wylye Valley is beautiful as is the Avon upstream from Salisbury.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2018, 06:52:34 pm »
I have sent him the Wiltshire cyclway link .thanks for that and I will have a look at the wylye valley .thanks  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »
The Wylye Valley is beautiful

And splendid fun in the downhill direction   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:55:48 pm »
Is he aware of this?:

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/leisure-wiltshire-cycle-ways

This is a smashing ride - although it gets a bitlumpy around Bradford on Avon and Longleat. There's some reasonable campsites as well. PM me if you decide to do it and I'll pass on any useful info I have.
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:10:26 pm »
Many thanks jbb I will let you know what he decides   :)

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2018, 08:33:06 am »

This is a smashing ride

That's good to know - we'll be doing the circuit in a few weeks time.

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2018, 11:20:19 pm »

This is a smashing ride

That's good to know - we'll be doing the circuit in a few weeks time.

Any queries just ask. Plus of course I may be able to ride out and meet you depending on dates etc.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2018, 06:23:38 pm »
Jonathan notp has fallen and dislocated his shoulder again and cannot ride his trike for six weeks.so we hope to do our tour in September .

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 25 May, 2018, 10:44:05 am »
That's a shame. Poor Jonathan.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2018, 12:05:50 pm »
Central Wiltshire is really nice near the K&A canal. (Hungerford/Pewsey/Devizes route).

Wiltshire is generally easier going E-W or W-E.  It gets distinctly lumpy N-W/S-N sometimes severely so.

Note.  If you end up more central then you should consider the Savernake Forest road into Marlborough.  It can get very pot-holey but it's truly spectacular if you catch it in Autumn (September may be a little early but you never know).

Message me if you are going to stray into west Hampshire.  I know some beautiful lanes into Wiltshire.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #12 on: 25 May, 2018, 03:56:46 pm »
Jonathan notp has fallen and dislocated his shoulder again and cannot ride his trike for six weeks.so we hope to do our tour in September .

That must be a disappointment, especially if holiday and accommodation have been booked.

« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2018, 04:04:13 pm »
Any queries just ask. Plus of course I may be able to ride out and meet you depending on dates etc.

Thanks. I think we're pretty well sorted on our route (the maps and turn by turn directions on the Wiltshire webpage are pretty comprehensive). I might have some questions later about good places to eat in the evening.

We're setting off and returning to Frampton Coterill (N. of Bristol, s-i-l), 15th - 21st  June inclusive but with 'rest days' at Cholderton and Wootton Bassett to go sightseeing/walking. The other stop is at Maiden Bradley.

« Reply #14 on: 25 May, 2018, 07:38:31 pm »
Thanks lee and jbb I will be in touch a bit closer the time .fortunately nothing has been booked yet so we still have a blank canvas for planning  :).
Jonathan notp is determined to get this tour in Wiltshire so we will be there eventually  :)