Author Topic: Can I Re-purpose a Kindle Fire? - SOLVED  (Read 1743 times)

Can I Re-purpose a Kindle Fire? - SOLVED
« on: 25 June, 2018, 09:34:50 am »
I've been given a Kindle Fire and, while its size is OK for reading stuff or browsing the internet, the fact that it's an Amazon marketing device is irritating and restrictive.  The Samsung android device I have been reading some e-books on has ceased working and, while I can download the e-books to the Kindle, they arrive in a form that the Kindle won't let me read.

I am quite used to re-purposing middle-aged laptops, and giving them a new lease of life by removing Windoze and installing Linux (I like Debian).  I don't really know anything about pads and kindle-like devices.  Is it possible to install a version of the android OS onto this Kindle to re-purpose the hardware and get it to do what I want (read e-books in various formats, with a downloadable app if necessary, browse the internet, and do a few simple computery things) without being bombarded with Amazon sales stuff and restricted in what I can do with it?

Re: Can I Re-purpose a Kindle Fire?
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2018, 11:36:34 am »
If you want to reformat e-books so that you can read them on a kindle, Calibre is the go-to utility, though it's Windows & Linux only (I believe), so you'll need a laptop as a staging point.
If you can open an e-book in Calibre, you can save it in Mobi or AZW formats, which the kindle will read OK.

The problem will likely be if the e-books on the Samsung are/were encrypted (i.e. copyright protected). Apprentice Alf's blog is a good point to start googling.

I've got my Calibre set up to routinely decrypt what I buy from Amazon, so I've got things available if I decide to get a non-Kindle, or Amazon decide to be difficult about access at some point in the future, but I've no experience with encrypted ePub or Adobe Digital Editions.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2018, 12:28:34 pm »
It is possible to install apps manually. ie find an APK file and install that. You will probably need to tick the option for unknown sources in the security settings.
So that would let you add another ebook reader etc, if you can find an APK.

Or you can install the Google Play Store, though this can be a bit more complicated. It relies a few other Google services, that aren't on the Kindle as standard.

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2018, 05:04:25 pm »
Thanks - I can see some potential here.

I like reading ebooks in Swedish at the moment.  The first one I purchased a year or so ago was delivered in epub format, and that was easy.  Subsequently, the website I have got these from previously www.bokus.com now does encrypt ebooks, but allow you to download an app - Dito - which allows you to read them.  This all worked fine on the aging Samsung android phone with Google Play that I was using before it stopped working.

I can access the Bokus site on the Kindle, and download the books I've purchased, but have no way of reading them, as I can't at the moment download the Dito app, so downloading Google Play Store sounds like a possible way forward, if I can get my head round it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2018, 05:06:50 pm »
FBReader can do .epub (and some other stuff) and you can get the APK from the website: https://fbreader.org/android

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:04:20 pm »
Google installing google play store on Kindle fire. Can't remember the details but I did it a while back. There are a few steps to it, and can be done without connecting it to a computer. Then you can install anything than Android tablets can. I use it for the Eurosport player.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2018, 12:22:32 pm »
It is possible to install apps manually. ie find an APK file and install that. You will probably need to tick the option for unknown sources in the security settings.
So that would let you add another ebook reader etc, if you can find an APK.

Hmm.. this has been partially successful - sort of!

I found the APK for the encrypted reader, Dito, I was using before and appear to have successfully downloaded and installed it.  Also, all my previously downloaded ebooks were listed there, which looked promising.  However, whenever I tap on a title to open one, Dito starts, but then soon aborts and goes back to the list.

I might try the more ambitious download of the whole Google Play Store business, and see if that makes any difference.

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2018, 12:33:29 pm »
Does the app that you want to use exist on the Google play store but not on the Amazon App Store? If so, then that’s probably the best way to go.

There a setting somewhere in the Kindle settings that allows 3rd party (i.e. non-Amazon apps) to be installed - I’ve assumed you’ve allowed that.

The Google Services and Google play store APKs are the ones that need to be installed first but these don’t live on the Google play store.

This is one set of instructions:
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/amp/
(There are lots of others)
Apologies if I’m repeating what you already know.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2018, 12:49:21 pm »
Does the app that you want to use exist on the Google play store but not on the Amazon App Store? If so, then that’s probably the best way to go.

There a setting somewhere in the Kindle settings that allows 3rd party (i.e. non-Amazon apps) to be installed - I’ve assumed you’ve allowed that.

The Google Services and Google play store APKs are the ones that need to be installed first but these don’t live on the Google play store.

This is one set of instructions:
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/amp/
(There are lots of others)
Apologies if I’m repeating what you already know.

Yes, the Dito app is on Play Store, and I was able to download and install it after allowing 3rd party apps.

Those more comprehensive instructions about downloading the whole Goofle Play Store are ones I've already found and will be having a go at.

« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:43:47 pm »
... and that all went swimmingly!  Google Play all installed, and re-installed the Dito app, and it's all now working as planned.

thanks for the help! :thumbsup: