Author Topic: Bar / gearing options?  (Read 654 times)

Bar / gearing options?
« on: 09 July, 2018, 02:20:30 pm »
A particular frame is sold as a drop bar with road bike gearing or a flat bar with mtb type gearing. Apart from choice of bar what are the real differences?

Assume you are used to one bar / gear type. Assume there's some getting used to the other type. Bike type is a tourer.

As I see it the bike is basically going to be similar but gearing is likely to be different. The road bike slightly faster top end gearing but the mtb gears give better granny gears for hills.

Using a gear calculator app I have it seems the road gears give 33mph at 90 cadence compared to 29mph for mtb gears. The lower end is 6.8mph for road and 5 for mtb. Is that going to be noticeable? I think the lower end could but not the top end as even I'm freewheeling at before that speed.

What's your view on this?

BTW can you easily fit mtb rear derailleur and cassette on a road bike shifting without using bar ends somewhere? I'm guessing no brake shifters work work shimano mtb rear derailleur that is? Assuming your can't get a tiagra derailleur and cassette that will go 11 to 34t with say a 44 to 24t triple chainring???