Author Topic: Up wrong trike for Sasquatch  (Read 2340 times)

Up wrong trike for Sasquatch
« on: 05 December, 2018, 11:41:44 pm »
For many years I have wanted to become a barrow boy . But on the couple of trikes i have tried my heels have constantly hit the rear axel/ freewheel housing . The trikes i have ridden have been around 22 " square . I normally ride  24 1/4 " seat tube / 22 1/2 "top tube . Do  chain stays get longer  on bigger frames /  touring trike . PS I wear size 48 shimano mtb shoes/ cleats  or  49 specialiZed road shoes with look delta cleats  thanks colin
Its More Fun With Three .

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Up wrong trike for Sasquatch
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2018, 05:59:56 am »
Yes, bigger trikes tend to allow for bigger feet. When HK got her custom trike, one of the critical measurements was distance from pedal axle to back of shoe (along with maximum crank length).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:16:22 am »
This is a potential problem where a bike frame has had an axle brazed in, i.e. not a purpose built trike frame.  These were the "Clubman" model of Ken Rogers who built from the 1960s onwards.  It is also a potential problem if the rider tends to pedal flat footed.  I loaned such a trike as a learner machine to a rider who later became a trike record breaker and when I got it back there was a strip of paint missing from both seat stays.  His feet missed the axle, probably by microns, but his heel would just brush the seat stays.  The way to get good clearance is to have a purpose built trike frame not an adapted frame, especially a modern one.  My 1950s Higgins is short enough that I could clip the axle with my size 8 (42) shoes, but my more recent Longstaffs (1993 and 2003) and Trykit (2012) are longer in the chainstay.  Or - you could look at Trykit conversion axle which fits to a bicycle frame and hangs out the back, so extends the wheelbase.

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:33:51 pm »
Thank you Littlewheelsandbig & Tatanab for the prompt replies . I shall  look out for a cheapish second hand  large frame trike . The trykit conversion looks ideal especially the rear disc set up .(But I am a bit short of dosh) ) In my very ,very humble opinion some of the  front wheel  rim double brake set ups look a bit Heath Robinson . Thanks again colin

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:37:16 pm »
Rear brakes are a bit meaningless for solo trikes. There isn't enough weight on either rear wheel to stop them locking up, particularly over bumps.

Trykit make a bolt-on stainless brake extension. I have one on my trike and it works well with a Shimano dual pivot brake.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22983673@N02/14475123584/

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:49:33 pm »
Presumably you know about the On3wheels forum, although most trikes listed there are on eBay? There have been a number of trikes on offer in recent issues of the TA magazine. All depends what you see as affordable though.

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:43:48 pm »
Thanks Littlewheelsandbig you have saved me a bit of dosh and sticky plasters . That brake extension  looks a bit of proper engineering.  Years ago there were lots of clubmen riding trikes in the north east , To pester and ask stupid Questions . But they all have disappeared to new pastures  .  colin

Just seen your post drossall . I have Lurked around on3wheels forum , & will join the TA .
The truth is I don't really know how much I should have in my budget for a reliable trike.
I am starting the British cycle Quest in the new year,  so I should be able to plan quite routes to practice on .
Thanks colin

« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2018, 07:14:43 am »
Rear brakes are a bit meaningless for solo trikes. There isn't enough weight on either rear wheel to stop them locking up, particularly over bumps.
Agreed entirely.  The brakes are there to satisfy Paralympic regulations.  Since these things are made to order, you can be sure that Geoff would build one with no brakes.  Still an expensive option since the cost of a conversion set would buy a decent second hand machine, should one show up.  Of course you should join the Tricycle Association (£10 a year plus a joining fee) whose quarterly Gazette has sales adverts.  You say you are in the north east.  There are quite a few tricyclists in that area with Lincoln being a new hotbed of activity, at least in Lincoln Wheelers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2018, 07:39:21 am »
Have a chat to Jim Hopper, based near Lichfield. Most of the trikes he is finding good homes for are smaller though. He'd steer you right on what you might expect to get for your money.

I bought a supposedly ready to ride trike from a non-TA fellow a while ago. I've replaced almost every single component since then but it is quite fun to ride now. TA members tend to be more accurate with their descriptions of what they're selling. I figure £400-800 for a reliable SH machine (depending on age) with occasional bargains turning up (usually for shorter folk).

« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:22:09 pm »
That sounds about right from what I've seen. I bought my Rogers ten years ago for £200 on the CTC forum. However, since then I've spent a lot more than that on it, not least because I put the drive wheel down a massive pot-hole and cracked an axle housing, so the upshot was a Trykit conversion to 2WD and indexed gears, plus a respray, from what had been a friction-geared OWD machine.

When I were a lad, my first club was the (sadly defunct) South Lancashire Road Club (which was actually based in East Cheshire, but never mind that). They reckoned to have more trikes than any club in the country at the time (late 70s), and held annual tricycle invitation runs. Which, of course, is why I formed the ambition to own one, one day.

« Reply #10 on: 08 December, 2018, 07:44:40 pm »
Colin,
There is still at least  one club tricyclist left in the NE (Durham) whereabouts are you please?

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2018, 04:49:26 pm »
Thanks for all the replies  very interesting stuff
aidan f  I live near prudhoe on tyne so not far from Durham . It would be great to meet a local tricyclist .

I am going to try  experimenting with  a  bit of ply fixed on the front of a set of pannier bag to hopefully give me a center of chainwheel to just past  heel strike mesurment.

I was pitched on barrow Avenue during this years york rally , &  I meet  Peter Holland From Lincon Wheelers . He  thinks he may have a suitable trike in one of his numerous sheds . The only thing is I have to promise to enter a time trial on it if i buy it . ( he must be getting bloody desperate for entry's if he wants me to ride) .

« Reply #12 on: 09 December, 2018, 06:42:15 pm »
I was pitched on barrow Avenue during this years york rally ,
If you go in 2019 there should be a whole lot of us there because we want to put on a bit of a show to mark the 90th year of the Tricycle Association.  That means more photos, more displays, more machines of various types and ages, and more people talking the usual stuff.