Author Topic: Am I the only one who stops to brew his own drink even on a day ride.  (Read 4909 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Am I the only one who stops to brew his own drink even on a day ride.
« Reply #25 on: 31 December, 2018, 10:08:28 am »
Yesterday, on a ride in France with my sister, we stopped for a hot drink and Christmas cake. Whilst I made do with instant coffee she had brought leaf tea and an infuser......a china cup and saucer would have been OTT. It was a very civilised break.

That's got me thinking ... it would be a Jolly Jape to pick the perfect spot in advance and secrete a basket with full china tea-set therein.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 31 December, 2018, 01:21:38 pm »
Yesterday, on a ride in France with my sister, we stopped for a hot drink and Christmas cake. Whilst I made do with instant coffee she had brought leaf tea and an infuser......a china cup and saucer would have been OTT. It was a very civilised break.

That's got me thinking ... it would be a Jolly Jape to pick the perfect spot in advance and secrete a basket with full china tea-set therein.

I'm sure I've seen someone (on a vintage ride or something) with a full wicker basket tea set attached to their bike...

« Reply #27 on: 31 December, 2018, 03:16:18 pm »
Not done the hamper thing, but I have been known to shove the Trangia in the saddlebag (with kettle, but sans pots); if I'm going for a long day ride I'm most likely using the big bag anyway, so it's just filling empty space. I do have a smaller meths stove and windshield that I use with a Ti mug, but I mostly just use a flask instead.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 31 December, 2018, 05:24:38 pm »

I'm sure I've seen someone (on a vintage ride or something) with a full wicker basket tea set attached to their bike...
That is clearly an appealing idea,

but it's less of a surprise to your ride-mate if you have enormous luggage and then reveal that you have ... a lot of stuff in it!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 01 January, 2019, 09:36:44 am »
It's a lot of gubbins to carry; stove (the smallest part!), gas canister, kettle, cup, milk (for tea), tea bags.  OK, you'd probably have water anyway.

A Wilko 330ml flask sits nicely in a bottle cage and doesn't rattle if you put a sock over it first.  It will stay hot for as long as you like - I used to make a flask at 9pm and it was still too hot to swig at 3am, even in really cold weather.

I agree. A nice idea but ICBA with carrying the stove and kettle etc so have carried a 1L thermos flask in my saddlebag or pannier. Plus my electric kettle at home is probably cheaper to run than my gas stove.