Author Topic: January Sale 12th Jan 2019  (Read 2528 times)

January Sale 12th Jan 2019
« on: 11 January, 2019, 03:49:35 pm »
I’m dropping off my daughter in Cardiff this afternoon, with my bike and gear in the car. I’m thinking of spending the night in the St Mary’s Lane car park by the RHP, as option to turning off the M5 at Gloucester to drive home to Milton Keynes, only to cycle back to Tewkesbury at 1am.

Is anyone else getting to one of the car parks during the night?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Re: January Sale 12th Jan 2019
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2019, 09:45:31 pm »
118 views and no comments. Decided at Gloucester services to drive home and get a few hours kip in bed then do my usual 70 odd miles to the start, so will probably collect my brevet then head over to the RHP for brekky and start late.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2019, 11:44:33 am »
118 views and no comments.

You've ruined that now - you could have gone for the record!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2019, 12:48:12 pm »
118 views and no comments.

From one of the viewers: I was tempted to give a random stranger a bed for the night, but I knew I wouldn't get my good lady to agree. Now I feel guilty, but at least the candlesticks are still on the mantelpiece.  ;D

PS It's unusual for one of Mark's rides not to attract multiple comments, but there was a bit on facebook about it. I'm on call for work so couldn't partake.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2019, 12:57:50 pm »
I see. I don't do Facebook. I'd originally agreed to take my daughter back today, but then she asked to go back earlier. I was trying to sell her the idea of driving Friday night (quieter roads, and she might sleep in the car), then I could get to Tewkesbury a few hours before the start for a car nap, but she didn't like that idea. With more (earlier) planning, I might have paid for a cheaper room, or room shared. No work coming in, so I try to keep overall Audax costs to a minimum. ECEing up to a 400 cost the same as the car park!

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2019, 01:47:28 pm »
Yes, Mark's rides usually get a thread of comments. Yesterday was as always well organised and the relatively balmy weather made a pleasant change from last year's adventures on ice on the first section and a high of 4C during the day. I normally live up to my reputation on this ride as the Lanterne Rouge, my best time on four rides had been arriving 35 minutes before the cut off and I had one disaster where going off route saw me arrive 40 minutes after the cut off.

Yesterday was different, I resolved to avoid faffing, minimise time off the bike, latch on to faster riders and groups and avoid being left plodding along on my own. Result - I finished at 6.30 pm and there were more than a few folk behind me for a change. So my Lanterne Rouge persona may need to be changed.

Thanks, as always, to Mark for his most professional and friendly efforts as the best organiser around (IMHO).

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2019, 04:08:51 pm »
I don’t suppose anyone found a black Cycling Plus buff at the Chipping Norton control after 4pm? I went back in asking if a red one had been handed in, then remembered I was actually wearing the little black number instead!

I’ll have to buy a cycle mag when there’s a freebie inside.

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2019, 11:33:43 pm »
Not sure if anyone here left their helmet behind in the pub at the end. It wasnt left at the main arrivee table, but one nearby.

If it is your's, contact The Royal Hop Pole, they have it behind the reception desk.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2019, 05:33:07 pm »
a black Cycling Plus buff.....
Cheaper to pay 99p on eBay, free postage from China. Exactly the same but in different colours. Search for "neck snood".
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-use-Biker-Balaclava-Cycling-Neck-Tube-Scarf-Snood-Face-Mask-Warmer-Bandana/173280433893?hash=item28585196e5:m:mRTfpSnP0o_ERQ8BELIxd4w:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2019, 05:59:45 pm »
a black Cycling Plus buff.....
Cheaper to pay 99p on eBay, free postage from China. Exactly the same but in different colours. Search for "neck snood".
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-use-Biker-Balaclava-Cycling-Neck-Tube-Scarf-Snood-Face-Mask-Warmer-Bandana/173280433893?hash=item28585196e5:m:mRTfpSnP0o_ERQ8BELIxd4w:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Thanks for that.

« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2019, 10:26:37 pm »
I don’t suppose anyone found a black Cycling Plus buff at the Chipping Norton control after 4pm? I went back in asking if a red one had been handed in, then remembered I was actually wearing the little black number instead!

I think you dropped it in the gents at the last control - I did not notice it but someone who went in there after me emerged with a black cloth item and asked me if it was mine. I think it got handed to the cafe staff. Sorry if I was thinking straight I would have suggested the chap take it back to the Hop Pole.

« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2019, 10:58:19 pm »
Oh no! Mystery solved. I don’t even remember still wearing it when I went upstairs; thought I took it off before sitting down for my milkshake. I’d preferred to lose the red one. Never mind!

« Reply #12 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:17:48 am »
Not sure if anyone here left their helmet behind in the pub at the end. It wasnt left at the main arrivee table, but one nearby.

What is even more bizarre is when riders leave helmets behind at midway controls - not that this on the January Sale.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/