Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2162595 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12925 on: 19 April, 2018, 09:34:35 pm »
Finished building the rear wheel for the commuter.  Nasty job as cheap rim wasn't very round.  There's still a 2mm high point I can't get rid of.  The hub may be contributing as that doesn't look perfectly concentric either.  Oh well, it'll last until the braking surface wears through.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12926 on: 20 April, 2018, 11:05:00 am »
Taken two coffee machines apart.  One full of calcium and the other full of what is a white liquid.  Neither machine has been used in years.

So descaling we go.

Regreased headset needs tightening and the tools are a hassle to get to and need bike today.

Arse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12927 on: 20 April, 2018, 12:43:07 pm »
Rode the fixed into town for a haircut yesterday. Was pondering as I rode that it really shouldn't be that noisy, so when I got home, I measured the chainline. Seems it's about 2mm out. Hmmmm.

On further investigation, it looks like the problem is possibly that I just didn't put the cranks on tight enough, so there's an extra few mm on the BB spindle. The LH crank was also a few mm further outboard than the RH crank. No wonder I had knee trouble after that 200 I did on the bike last year!

Stripped it all down, removed the BB and cleaned it up, reinstalled it and made sure I put the cranks back on proper bastard tight. Chainline seems to be spot on now. Took it for a test ride and it's much, much quieter. Although the cartridge bearings in the rear wheel feel a bit rough, so I think I will replace those too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12928 on: 20 April, 2018, 03:08:17 pm »
Fitted a new, quiet, non-crud encrusted filling wotsit for the kharzi  in the new flat.

Loosened off, or so I thought, the gate valve in the hot water supply with a tool that it looks like my Dad made some eons ago for such a purpose. The wheel on the valve now goes, in the manner of those on the bus, round and round. Disfortunately it makes cock all difference to the rate of water flow. I think I borked something in the valve. New one purchased but getting it in will be a pain, as bother bits of pipe are fixed, one being the outlet from the cold tank the other plastered solid into its hole in the wall. I see hammering, swearing and light demolition in my future.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #12929 on: 20 April, 2018, 03:09:17 pm »
Busy day today: keys cut - £8.85 for 3 is reasonable for round here. Replaced the front brake pads on the Oxygen. It needed the bleed cap removing to make space, but they went in eventually. Trimmed the honeysuckle hedge with a borrowed extendable trimmer, useful but puny compared to my normal mains one. Cleared the very blocked balcony gutters and pruned the honeysuckle in the process. Now sitting waiting to perform taxi duties. Day off? Was it heck!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #12930 on: 20 April, 2018, 04:38:46 pm »
Fitted a new, quiet, non-crud encrusted filling wotsit for the kharzi  in the new flat.

Loosened off, or so I thought, the gate valve in the hot water supply with a tool that it looks like my Dad made some eons ago for such a purpose. The wheel on the valve now goes, in the manner of those on the bus, round and round. Disfortunately it makes cock all difference to the rate of water flow. I think I borked something in the valve. New one purchased but getting it in will be a pain, as bother bits of pipe are fixed, one being the outlet from the cold tank the other plastered solid into its hole in the wall. I see hammering, swearing and light demolition in my future.

Gate valves are crap for regulating flow. 10% open gives 90% flow. So don’t expect too much of the replacement. If you want flow regulation fit a needle valve.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12931 on: 20 April, 2018, 04:40:37 pm »
Planted potatoes, and a clematis and jasmine we bought last week. Moved a couple of self-set hollyhocks to a better location.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12932 on: 20 April, 2018, 06:29:48 pm »

Gate valves are crap for regulating flow. 10% open gives 90% flow. So don’t expect too much of the replacement. If you want flow regulation fit a needle valve.
Noted, although I'm not looking for regulation, I'm looking for isolation. At the moment I have to let the cold tank run dry before I can work on the hot side.

« Reply #12933 on: 20 April, 2018, 09:00:17 pm »
Finally got round to giving the leather seats in my car some leather treatment. Must remember
to do it a least once a fortnight.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12934 on: 20 April, 2018, 10:47:32 pm »
Just doing a last check over on my tourer before setting off tomorrow and I'm glad I did. One of the return springs on my mini-v front brakes just snapped!

After a bit of rummaging I found my spare set of mini-vs and now everything's working again - phew!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12935 on: 20 April, 2018, 10:50:35 pm »

Noted, although I'm not looking for regulation, I'm looking for isolation. At the moment I have to let the cold tank run dry before I can work on the hot side.

Freeze pipr kit, freeze pipe change valve.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12936 on: 20 April, 2018, 11:42:26 pm »
Freezing the pipe won't make it any easier to slide the pipe out of the compression joint though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12937 on: 20 April, 2018, 11:43:44 pm »
Fine Adjustment Tool #2 should sort it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12938 on: 21 April, 2018, 07:59:39 am »
The new commuter just needs cabling up.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12939 on: 21 April, 2018, 09:55:14 am »

Is the Adjustment Tool numbering system like the American Wire Gauge, where the bigger the number, the smaller the thing, or purely sequential?  I've got a Big Adjustment Tool and a Small Adjustment Tool but not sure where they fit in a numbered sequence.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12940 on: 21 April, 2018, 10:43:28 am »

Came down this morning to find that one of our dogs had applied #2 in their cage. Heigh ho.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12941 on: 21 April, 2018, 01:41:04 pm »
Freezing the pipe won't make it any easier to slide the pipe out of the compression joint though.

May help a little.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12942 on: 21 April, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »

Is the Adjustment Tool numbering system like the American Wire Gauge, where the bigger the number, the smaller the thing, or purely sequential?  I've got a Big Adjustment Tool and a Small Adjustment Tool but not sure where they fit in a numbered sequence.

in the end I used The Big Adjustment Tool to subtly nudge the pipe in the right direction, having first undone its other end, the inlet to the water heater. (Obvs, I'd drained the cold tank down even firster).  The plan of reusing the old nut and olive didn't work as the nut was a different thread, which meant I had to saw the old olive off, blag 3 inch long bit of 22mm tube from my son in law (this teeny bit goes between the cold water tank outlet and the valve), buy a pack of 22mm olives, use one of the pack.

All done.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12943 on: 21 April, 2018, 04:59:43 pm »
New commuter would be done except that I forgot to buy gear cables  :facepalm:  Will pick up a Shimano SIS set from Halfords tomorrow.  As cheap as eBay if you click and collect.

British brake cable routing on a Kona with cantilevers is interesting...however you do it, the rear outer interferes with the bare front cable in some steering positions.  I think I'll ziptie the outers together to keep things clear.

« Reply #12944 on: 21 April, 2018, 07:48:55 pm »
Mrs Dan had the bolt holding saddle to seat post shear off yesterday. So today I fitted the replacement post to her bike.
I also swapped an inner tube with an annoyingly short valve for a more usable one, and unfettled a tyre lever in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12945 on: 21 April, 2018, 08:34:12 pm »
Changed the front brake pads for Koolstop and turned around the worn Miche cog on my fixed. The new chain was running rough under load and I was tired of picking crap out of the Shimano pads at frequent intervals.

It looks like I need to fit a new chain and cassette on the Audax tandem before the longer brevets. Moved the front mudguard to clear the V-brake noodle, straightened the rear rack and tweaked the captain's handlebar position.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12946 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:23:47 pm »
While removing assorted grot from crankset, find an awful lot of play in the cranks. Sigh. Start dismantling bottom bracket. Apply a BFO mallet. Suck teeth. Apply BFO mallet some more. BB retaining doodahs fail to budge. Sigh again. Phone Embra bicycle.

Phoned EBC just now to see if it would be ready to pick up before they close:
fx: Brrrrp Brrrrp
Hello EBC...
fx: something being twatted loudly without prejudice
(That'll be my BB then)
Yeah, it's stuck and the mechanic's been working on it for the last 2 hours, so not today.

Arse :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12947 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:52:34 pm »
Replaced the crapped out cone in the rear wheel of HK's Condor and tweaked the rear brake and gears appropriately.

Applied Loctite 660 to the loose crown race of my trike. Hopefully that problem is sorted now. Opened up the rear axles and found 3 of the 4 cups AND 3 of the 4 cones are various degrees of dodgy. So the trike is off the road again until I source suitable replacements. This seems too much like 'situation normal', given how often this machine has been unserviceable.

Replaced the front tyre on my Frezoni and removed the handlebar tape, brake and gear cables and brake levers. Still to fit the new stuff though.

There is a familiar intermittent scraping noise in the Shimano dynohub on my fixed. Something else to sort out down the road...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12948 on: 22 April, 2018, 06:15:48 pm »
Cycles - 0

Kenwood chef gearboxes - 1 I am now the kenwood chef guru. This after looking things up on the internet and taking two no working ones and making them work.  Well replacing brushes, replacing dodgy capacitor and disassembling and reassembling the gearboxes and replacing the grease with lovely foodsafe grease.  Now people give me their broken chefs to do something with....anyone want to buy a kenwood chef A701?  Body powdercoated to what ever colour you like.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12949 on: 22 April, 2018, 06:35:52 pm »
20180422_173845 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

1992 Cinder Cone frame with 21-speed gears.  46/36/24 chainrings and 12-21 cassette.  105 road mechs and DX thumbshifters.  DX/XT cantilevers.  Marathon Plus 26 x 1.75 tyres, which weigh a ton but are mandatory for psyclepaths until they start catching and flogging the scratters who deliberately glass them.  Crud Race Pac mudguards not fitted for photo.