Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225635 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #50 on: 26 November, 2010, 02:17:38 pm »
Underworld last Saturday at the Brixton Academy. They came on at midnight. Good gig, but not as good as last time I saw them there 10 years ago when the gurning going on was amazing

Next week... Leftfield

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #51 on: 26 November, 2010, 02:32:31 pm »
Einstürzende Neubauten had a 2 day gig in Cph I saw

sixcycler

« Reply #52 on: 26 November, 2010, 02:46:47 pm »
Wallis Bird in Utrecht , very good

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 03 December, 2010, 02:17:43 am »
Release the pressure!!

Was brilliant.

Shame about the window-licker behind me though.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #54 on: 03 December, 2010, 04:32:21 pm »
Leftfield at the Academy in Bristol. Best gig I've been to for a while.

Spot Jaded...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #55 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:05:58 pm »
James last night in Manchester, Tim Booth is absolute class & they played my favourite James tune, Just like Fred Astaire  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #56 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »
Faithless at the Cardiff International Arena on December 1st.

Brilliant  :thumbsup:
Played all their classics plus lots from the latest album, guest vocallist on many tracks was awesome took the album to a new level.
So much so I've ordered the 'live gig' CD from them !!!

mondobongo

« Reply #57 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:17:24 pm »
Motorhead at Wolves Civic Nov 24th, Lemmy and the boys were in fine form.
However Michael Monroe was awesome in the support slot and in my opinion came dangerously close to stealing the show.

Next gig will be Michael Monroe in Brum April 15th.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #58 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:24:14 pm »
Last gig I can recall going to was Snake Davis & The Charmers at York Arts Centre in 1993 (a couple of years after leaving working there).

I was reminded today that this is not correct.  After the TdF Prologue in London, a few of us went to Southwark Park for their wee Festival.  Dave Edmunds was playing.  There may have been a couple of other bands, but I don't recall.  I was a bit taken up with the young lady I was with at the time (who I subsequently married :thumbsup: ).  Not a planned attendance, but I suppose a gig nonetheless...
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #59 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:06:25 am »
James last night in Manchester, Tim Booth is absolute class & they played my favourite James tune, Just like Fred Astaire  :)

:thumbsup:

A few decades ago, I saw the Smiths at the Hexagon in Reading, and James were the support band.  They were better.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #60 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:37:23 pm »
Runrig at the Barrowlands on Sat night.  For those south of the Border who may not have heard of either, Runrig is Scotland's coolest band and the Barrowlands is Scotland's coolest venue.  ;)

PS And that was definitely the coolest queue we've ever stood in ! 
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #61 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:41:32 pm »
Probably Joe Brown & the Bruvvers, supported by Susan Maughan but could have included Billy Fury as well.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #62 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:44:27 pm »
Probably Joe Brown & the Bruvvers, supported by Susan Maughan but could have included Billy Fury as well.

8)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #63 on: 20 December, 2010, 09:30:25 pm »
The Gorillaz @ Madison Square Garden in New York!!

It was my daughters first ever concert! And it was brilliant.

« Reply #64 on: 28 January, 2011, 12:31:23 am »
Jeffrey Lewis and Peter Stampfel, The Waiting Room, Eaglescliffe

I've just ridden back - it was an early finish, but even though the venue is next to Eaglescliffe station, the last train from Eaglescliffe is 22.05 (there is a later train, but it doesn't stop at Eaglescliffe), and I was outta there by 22.15, so rather than wait around for the connection to Thornaby and back to Darlo, I rode the 13 miles, which isn't a bad distance after a gig.  And knowing there was a possibility I'd have to ride kept my beer intake down.

The venue was tiny - it was a sell-out, whatever that meant, as no-one asked me for a ticket (probably for the best, as it didn't arrive in the post, and  when I called up the other day, they said they'd just check my name on the door).  It was a tiny 80-capacity conservatory at the back of the restaurant, with corrugated plastic roofing, ancient maps on the wall, and bits of old carousel fairing nailed above the stage.  A vegetarian restaurant on Teesside - home of the Parmo - is always going to be a tough sell, but quirkiness seemed to be the order of the day, which suited the cult status of both performers (a theme which informs a lot of Jeff's songs).

A lovely, intimate gig.  It served - for me, at least -  as an introduction to Peter Stampfel, the Fugs, and the Holy Modal Rounders, as the set consisted of a few Jeff Lewis songs but mainly songs Peter Stampfel wrote and performed with his bands The Holy Modal Rounders and the Fugs, in the ferment of the 60s folk scene, interspersed with chat between the two where PS played the stoned jester and JL his attentive, slightly stern son.

It ended with a series of covers - Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" worked much better played for laughs as "Demon in the Ground", and the Holy Modal Rounders' Birdsong (which I vaguely remembered from the movie Easy Rider) morphed into a loopy cover of Surfin' Bird.  Crass's "Systematic Death" had the joint bouncing.  

I've had a look at the line-up The Waiting Room has - Martin Carthy and Sweet Babou are playing there within the next month.  So I'll probably be back.  There was, however, a moment of aching bathos where Jeff Lewis looked around the tiny room, commented on the decor, and asked who was the next act to play there, and the reply came back in broad North Eastern: Wilf Lunn the inventor off the  telly.

« Reply #65 on: 28 January, 2011, 12:47:26 am »
Richard Thompson at York Opera House a couple of weeks ago. He had an electric band with him this time. First set was OK basically he played his new album which was good in parts weak in others. For the second set he did a selection from his back catalogue and it was brilliant. Some absolutely searing guitar work. No wonder he is referred to as England's greatest living guitar player.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #66 on: 28 January, 2011, 12:49:18 am »
I heard him on Tom Robinson's show on 6music t'other week, and he mentioned that gig.  I so nearly went.

« Reply #67 on: 28 January, 2011, 01:01:54 am »
You should have gone. He played for two and a half hours and finished with "! want to see the bright lights tonight".
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #68 on: 28 January, 2011, 07:55:08 am »
Florence + the Machine, coopers field, cardiff last summer.
Very much looking forward to John Grant in March.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #69 on: 28 January, 2011, 08:29:11 am »
LCD Soundsystem at CIA Cardiff in November  8) Awesome from Mr Murphy!

Next up Phantom Band in Brissol 5 February.

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #70 on: 29 January, 2011, 12:15:22 am »
Bellowhead in November

The Smoke Fairies last saturday.

LindaG

« Reply #71 on: 29 January, 2011, 04:58:13 pm »
Jeffrey Lewis and Peter Stampfel, The Waiting Room, Eaglescliffe

I so nearly went to that!  It's my favourite restaurant, and Crusty was going to take me as a birthday treat, but I over-exfoliated my face on the road and decided against.

Oh, well, at least I know what I missed.  I've been very tempted by some of the gigs there but never get round to it.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #72 on: 29 January, 2011, 05:21:10 pm »
Runrig at the Barrowlands on Sat night.  For those south of the Border who may not have heard of either, Runrig is Scotland's coolest band and the Barrowlands is Scotland's coolest venue.  ;)

Never seen Runrig, but been to Barrowlands a few times and you're right. You can imagine it full of teddy boys in the 50s. Best time was I think the Manics on the first tour back after Ritchey disappeared - very poignant.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #73 on: 29 January, 2011, 11:16:34 pm »
Just back from Mogwai, really good but my word they were freaking LOUD.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #74 on: 29 January, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »
Pardon?