Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 425152 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1800 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:39:18 pm »
Nipples :o

Top tips please for avoiding joggers tit. With my increased mileage, colder weather and running in the rain with a wet technical t-shirt I'm starting to suffer from sensitivity of the old nip-naps.  And it's not nice.  The last time I suffered from this was years ago after a rainy 10k race.

What's the advice from the forum for avoiding this before it turns into full blown moob chafage?  Bodyglide? Sticky plasters (tricky, as I'm descended from wookies)?  Nip Guards or something else?

Ta in advance.

p.s. broke my 4.5 mile route PB again this morning. Which shows how rubbish I was to start with ::-)

I don’t really have any suggestions as I’ve not suffered to an extent to investigate, but you reminded me of a colleague who finished the Leeds half with two very red streams of blood down his t-shirt . Ouch.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1801 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:36:31 am »
two runs for me this week, both in windy Aberdeen, 8km adn 9km. 

Forgot my HR strap this week, so ran to effort, what I thought was sustainable.  Flat paced turns out I can hold around 5:10/km which was a bit of a surprise to me, didn't think it would be anywhere near that. 

Not sure if I could hold that for an HM yet though - by comparison, my HM PB is something like 1h 42
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1802 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:50:17 am »
Nipples :o

Top tips please for avoiding joggers tit. With my increased mileage, colder weather and running in the rain with a wet technical t-shirt I'm starting to suffer from sensitivity of the old nip-naps.  And it's not nice.  The last time I suffered from this was years ago after a rainy 10k race.

What's the advice from the forum for avoiding this before it turns into full blown moob chafage?  Bodyglide? Sticky plasters (tricky, as I'm descended from wookies)?  Nip Guards or something else?

Ta in advance.

p.s. broke my 4.5 mile route PB again this morning. Which shows how rubbish I was to start with ::-)

Stripper's tassels?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1803 on: 14 September, 2018, 09:10:36 am »
Joggers nipple . . .

Vaseline can help, although you'll end up with greasy stains in odd places.

Don't use bandaids, they can rip the skin right off.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

JJ

« Reply #1804 on: 14 September, 2018, 04:46:41 pm »
Surgical tape.  Less fierce on the body hair than regular plasters.
Also some tech tops are smother and less abrasive than others.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1805 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:45:45 pm »
How's everyone's running going?

PB at Berlin this morning suggests my running is going well :D (The 3½ weeks of high altitude training in Iten, Kenya clearly worked.)

Lyon half in three weeks - target is <75.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1806 on: 16 September, 2018, 10:07:06 pm »
Wowsers, well done Adamski  :o. Great running.
Well done ElyDave too.

On the nipple subject I used Micropore in an X across each moob today and got a personal best of 49:55 in the Pangbourne 10k.  Nips fine but the Micropore tugged the chest wig sufficiently to leave it feeling bruised around the nipples. Next run I’ll either shave and tape up or try the Vaseline or Bodyglide approach instead.
Well happy with my PB though. It’s only taken 49 years to get a sub 50!  Bodes well for a decent (PB) half marathon time in a few weeks.

Are any of you lot doing the Great South Run? Ive not entered yet but am likely to.

« Reply #1807 on: 16 September, 2018, 10:46:17 pm »
How's everyone's running going?

PB at Berlin this morning suggests my running is going well :D (The 3½ weeks of high altitude training in Iten, Kenya clearly worked.)

Lyon half in three weeks - target is <75.

Cracking on a bit there eh;)

Probably best not to mention Iten, or be photographed with your coach!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1808 on: 17 September, 2018, 06:43:13 am »
Probably best not to mention Iten, or be photographed with your coach!

I don't have a coach - I'm not spending a £100 a month to have someone tell me to go running!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #1809 on: 18 September, 2018, 03:57:22 pm »
Great consistent splits, Adam!

« Reply #1810 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:14:47 am »
School[1] running club this morning for Y5/Y6. 4km with a few stops to regroup.

Of course they all set off at <5min/km pace but it thankfully settled down to something sensible.

(My daughter preferred to stay and play football at before school club than come running. Fair enough.)

1. Technically not organised by the school but just by some of the parents.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1811 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »
Great consistent splits, Adam!

Thanks - it was a one second negative split  :D The slowest 5 km were the first 5 km as I tried to get some clear space. That was despite my start being only 20 seconds delayed. It felt like I spent the whole race overtaking people, which is always a decent feeling.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1812 on: 21 September, 2018, 06:23:05 am »
Some thoughts about my run around Berlin are below. Hidden behind the spoiler as it's a bit long.

(click to show/hide)

ElyDave

« Reply #1813 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:28:26 am »
I knew I needed to be running each 5 km section in 18:20

Great stuff Adam, you just ran my 5kPB 8 times in a row.   :thumbsup:

that is truly an excellent standard for a marathon

« Reply #1814 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:33:03 am »
Great write up.
Conveys a lot of the sense of concentration. Some people say "Isn't it boring, running/cycling/paddling" for all that time. The truth is, to break a PB requires concentration all the way. Constantly checking form, checking pace, hydration, feeding, distance covered, distance to go, monitoring your body. Let up even for a minute and  you will falter and lose pace.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1815 on: 23 September, 2018, 04:04:25 pm »
Long slow trail run of 11.6 miles at 7am in atrocious conditions this morning. Made it round fine, although I lost the Micropore nip protection at 4 miles in the wet and ended up shredded. I’d use proper fabric tape for its superior stickiness but I’m allergic to regular Elastoplast.
Pretty sure the legs will be a bit sore tomorrow.
Nice out and back route over the Wessex downs.  Unfortunately the rain had draped a long section of the path with nettles so I got stung to hell.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1816 on: 23 September, 2018, 06:15:22 pm »
That's the problem with this time of year.  It's too warm for longs but the nettles fall everywhere and you get stung if you wear shorts.  There's a couple of trails that I avoid exactly because of this.

Good effort in the rain, though.  Bet it was slippery and boggy.  I went for a ride and the roads were flooded in places.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1817 on: 24 September, 2018, 06:51:43 pm »
HRM-Tri strap has given up the ghost (not surprising as it's had heavy usage for over 3 years, surprised it lasted this long).

£99 brand new full RRP replacement. £72 on wiggle.

Emailed Garmin support about it and they'll do an out of warranty replacement (if I send the broken one in) for £46.58 (inc P&P). That's a lot more reasonable.

« Reply #1818 on: 27 September, 2018, 12:20:12 pm »
That sounds helpful Greenbank. I hear mostly positive things about Garmin customer support on Teh Twitters.
Steady 5k recovery run last night as legs a bit sore from the 11 miler on Sunday. Quiet week this week tapering for the Clarendon trail half marathon.
I won a prize this week.....free entry to the Windermere Marathon next May. I’ve never done a marathon before. First time for everything.  ;D :facepalm:

« Reply #1819 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:58:04 pm »
Having barely ridden my bike since LEL, and with work so hectic, I can't spare the time to be out for long hours in the saddle, I am in my Altras (a godsend for me) more than on two wheels. Got a regular 16km/400m trail route up the hill from Langsett, and am currently playing with thoughts of being in shape for the Dark Peak 30 this time next year. Not sure I can face joining a club, so just trudge along at whatever pace feels bearable at about 150bpm.

« Reply #1820 on: 03 October, 2018, 12:40:40 am »
so just trudge along at whatever pace feels bearable at about 150bpm.

HR is very variable amongst individuals, it needs context.

150bpm is barely jogging for me whereas adamski does his first half of a sub-3h marathon below 150bpm.

c.f. this:-

(172bpm average, 199bpm max and it was a relatively leisurely game...)

ElyDave

« Reply #1821 on: 03 October, 2018, 09:08:03 am »
Having barely ridden my bike since LEL, and with work so hectic, I can't spare the time to be out for long hours in the saddle, I am in my Altras (a godsend for me) more than on two wheels. Got a regular 16km/400m trail route up the hill from Langsett, and am currently playing with thoughts of being in shape for the Dark Peak 30 this time next year. Not sure I can face joining a club, so just trudge along at whatever pace feels bearable at about 150bpm.

What Altras have you got?  I knew a bloke involved in the marketing who managed to wangle me 2 pairs of Samsons before they dropped the minimalist approach.

« Reply #1822 on: 03 October, 2018, 01:29:30 pm »
3rd run for school running club. Doing 5k yesterday and playing 1h20 of 5-a-side last night meant it was full of aches but nice to be forced out on the paths.

1/6 of Y5 and Y6 do it, which isn't too shabby. It'll probably increase in the summer term with some of the Y4 lot joining in if we get a few more volunteer parents.

« Reply #1823 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:32:00 am »

What Altras have you got?  I knew a bloke involved in the marketing who managed to wangle me 2 pairs of Samsons before they dropped the minimalist approach.

Paradigms - done a year in them, and Olympus waiting at the shop.

@Greenbank - 145-150bpm is around what I sit at at FTP on my turbo (tacx neo). It feels like my maximum "you could do this forever" hr.

ElyDave

« Reply #1824 on: 06 October, 2018, 05:43:00 pm »
dropped my daughter off for a ballet class this afternoon and went for a run. 12km in just over 1 hour, so just about 5:00/km pace.  HR still a bit higher than I'd like, but it was bloody windy out there, damp as well.  Ended up tying the waterproof round my waist as I was overheating with it on.

Pretty happy with that as I was planning on getting to a 12km run in December.  Blood sugar behaved as well, which is always good.