Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 134902 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #375 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:46:48 am »
When I was in the workshop yesterday a swallow flew in, had a look round and flew out again.  A couple of minutes later a good half-dozen in succession did exactly the same thing.

I shall have to lay in some bugs. Never know when someone's going to drop in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #376 on: 17 May, 2018, 07:06:17 pm »
We had a starling 'eating' our mint today.  Saw it yesterday as well but persuaded myself that it was random pecking but, nope today it was definitely having our mint away.  Not to eat surely, maybe to line the nest?  Aromatics to keep bugs down, perhaps?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #377 on: 12 June, 2018, 12:45:31 pm »
My upstairs neighbours have gone to Bulgaria for a couple of weeks and I am popping in twice a day to see to their three cats. Momo, ginger and white, tim-nice-but-dim, loves to roll on the floor for a bellyrub. Rappa, one year old tabby girl, loves to chase the laser pointer. Iroh, elderly black and white gentleman with kidney disease, has a miaow like a peevish elderly crow and stands on my lap for headboops.

One of them had diarrhoea last night. I don't know which.  :sick:
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #378 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:33:52 am »
Out in the garden with the dogs last night around 10:30. Lots of fireflies, so many that I called the missus out to see them. We watched them for 15 minutes or so, with hardly 10 seconds going by without one and sometimes half a dozen at once.

First I've seen for a couple of years at least, and I've never seen them in such profusion, even down in the Aveyron. Quite memorable.

Last year a friend in California took a time-exposure of a field full of them, by the hundred. If they're out again tonight I'll maybe have a go at that.

essexian

« Reply #379 on: 22 June, 2018, 09:16:20 am »
Not really wildlife but we have been feeding the local stray cats for many years including Eric who, we believe is the sister of our cat Elma. Elma came to us 8 years ago as a pregnant Queen and promptly provided us with five further bundles of joy.

We also feed "His Lordship" an old beaten up intact tom and "Whingy the Ginger", again an intact tom.  Albert, a very old and almost blind tom also comes around for some left overs and catnip..... give intact toms catnip and enjoy their reaction!  ;D

Anyway, over the last few days I noticed a very young, small white cat coming into the house via the cat flap.... our Vet warned us against them as they attract everyone cat.... looking for food. Elma was not happy with this and there were several fights in the house: Elma is a considerable size and made quite a mess of the white cat (named, for the time being: "Snowflake" until we can agree on something more appropriate...."Glynis" is a favourite at the moment.

Given how hungry Snowflake was to take on Elma at her own food bowl, I provided a pouch of food and then another pouch and then...yes another. Wondering, I also checked the gender of the moggy.... a Queen.

So, I am now worried that given how hungry Snowflake is and how young she is, whether she is with kitten....given the large number of intact toms around here and Elma's reaction to her, I would not rule it out.

Sigh...while I love cats and would happily have more, I really don't want to take on a Queen and her kittens again.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #380 on: 28 June, 2018, 10:04:01 pm »
If you're feeding intact Toms and they are not owned you should really be getting them neutered. They may not be 'yours' but by feeding them you've effectively taken them on so why not prevent the offspring at source?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #381 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:02:49 am »
David has rather good hearing.
He heard noises by our CD carousel, investigated and found a mouse, that has now run away, we know not where.
We don't know if the cats brought the mouse...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #382 on: 26 July, 2018, 07:18:17 pm »
Silly Season Special #2 (1st in NSFW)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44968509

essexian

« Reply #383 on: 03 August, 2018, 07:58:17 am »
We don't seem to have much luck with Hedgehogs  :(

Over the last few months we have been feeding two hogs: Noisy and Small....Small we guess was quite young given their size, while Noisy got their name from the fact that they never learnt to eat quietly.... Great at names eh!

Anyway, last week during the very hot weather, one of the hogs: Small was out in the day looking for water which we provided. They did this twice but always came back later in the evening for some food. We hoped that it was just a short term thing but knew if they did it again, they would need to go to the local Hog Centre (we took a hog there two years ago who was likewise suffering in the heat. Another hog the year before did not make it).

However, last evening CBH came in as she had seen Small not moving in the flower beds. I went out to check and sadly it looked like they had died. We put it in a safe place just to be sure but it hasn't moved and is cold so sadly, that one fewer hogs out there.

We will give it a funeral later as we do with all dead animals on our land. I suppose we are just a bit silly but hey ho.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #384 on: 08 August, 2018, 01:14:05 pm »
Out with the dogs last night. Lots of bugs flying into the torch-beam so I pointed it straight up and a couple of bats began orbiting to pick them off. Quite entertaining.

« Reply #385 on: 31 August, 2018, 07:38:21 am »
From the Monroe County sheriff's facebook page

« Reply #386 on: 15 September, 2018, 09:07:56 pm »
I went for a walk and encountered two ladies harvesting berries. As I'm tall, and have gibbon-like arms, I offered to be their Giraffe, and reach some higher branches.

I asked what they were going to do with the berries. 'We're going to make wine, these are Elderberries', was their reply. It's a good thing I came along, as they were Dogwood, (Cornus sanguinea.) I left them consulting  their mobile for confirmation.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #387 on: 15 September, 2018, 10:52:24 pm »
A swan and her four large signets on.the Tiefi in the village today.  Hope they stay.  We've never had swans here before.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #389 on: 20 September, 2018, 12:26:45 pm »
From the Monroe County sheriff's facebook page

Have any Mid-Essex Audaxers been visiting Monroe County?  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #390 on: 20 September, 2018, 07:39:29 pm »
Croydon cat killers unmasked!
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/croydon-cat-killer-unmasked-police-reveal-culprits-after-three-year-investigation-and-500-deaths-a3940956.html

Although it's the motorists doing the actual killing bit, unless Croydon foxes have taken up joyriding, which is entirely possible.

Makes me wonder how frequently cats (and other animals, though I suppose cats are fairly unique in that they're pets that are allowed to roam free) are killed by vehicles and *not* suspiciously mutilated by scavengers.   :(

ian

« Reply #391 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:01:56 pm »
Driving standards in Croydon would improve if foxes were doing the driving.

It was never even vaguely plausible that someone was running around the UK mutilating that many cats. Anyone with a cat knows they firmly hold to the myth of having nine lives. Dead cats by the roadside are going to be rapidly and messily scavenged by foxes and rats. Anything has got to be better than discarded KFC.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #392 on: 22 September, 2018, 05:35:16 pm »
True but discarded KFC makes pijjins much more deliciouser!

I'm sure discarded KFC is fattening local pigeons and squirrels for Reynard's added delectation...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #393 on: 14 October, 2018, 06:17:21 pm »
IMAG0294 by David Martin, on Flickr

Otter
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #394 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:40:42 am »
Yesterday, whislt crossing Walthamstow Marshes on my way home, I spotted someone exercising his two dogs.
Both dogs had harnesses - as opposed to collars - attached to one of the dogs harnesses were a couple of (small) panniers.
I thought that was rather cool.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #395 on: 24 October, 2018, 03:08:53 pm »
I saw a dog with panniers on Snowdon once.  Not a working dog, but just loping along with its family.  Probably carrying the kids' lunch, or something.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #396 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:34:00 pm »
Well I saw a horseist in full horsing gear walking along the Pershore road earlier.  I carefully didn't ask if they'd forgotten something.

« Reply #397 on: 25 October, 2018, 10:25:26 am »
Yesterday, whislt crossing Walthamstow Marshes on my way home, I spotted someone exercising his two dogs.
Both dogs had harnesses - as opposed to collars - attached to one of the dogs harnesses were a couple of (small) panniers.

I keep considering getting our Tilly some panniers. She already has the harness that you can fix them to. Then she can carry her own water and snacks when we go walking.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #398 on: 25 October, 2018, 03:09:09 pm »
American goat hunters - Aunty Janey is goane get ye. ALong wi Big Wolf Big Teeth
https://twitter.com/JaneyGodley/status/1055188742460399616

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #399 on: 25 October, 2018, 03:46:56 pm »

I keep considering getting our Tilly some panniers. She already has the harness that you can fix them to. Then she can carry her own water and snacks when we go walking.
Next you can teach her to open her own bottles!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.