Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 127610 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #275 on: 03 April, 2013, 02:30:09 pm »
Glenshee last Saturday was fantastic - clear blue skies, no wind and pistes in tip-top condition. I think all the Scottish centres still have great snow so might go out again this coming Sunday.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #276 on: 03 April, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »
Just got back from 5 days of great skiing at Verbier. Six inches of snow on arrival, topped up for the following two days. Shame I'm a crap skier, although I did enjoy the off-piste with a friend who just happens to be an instructer there and knows the resort backwards.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #277 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:14:11 pm »
Off to Les Arcs tomorrow in what was a very last minute decision. Who knows what the snow will be like, but if the weather has been anything as cold as here, it should be good.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #278 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:41:52 pm »
Off to Les Arcs tomorrow in what was a very last minute decision. Who knows what the snow will be like, but if the weather has been anything as cold as here, it should be good.

Raining at the moment in Chamonix :( But Les Arcs is higher so you should be OK. Had some great skiing this week,snow in superb condition especially given the time of year. Enjoy!

« Reply #279 on: 05 April, 2013, 11:15:36 pm »
Chamonix is 1050m and Les Arcs starts around 1650 so no comparison, Chamonix is a triumph of marketing over substance - just like Merry Hell, sorry Meribel (but at least you slushy down to Meribel). Cham is nice is summer though.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #280 on: 07 April, 2013, 10:02:03 am »
Complete white out conditions today. Booooo! We could stand on the piste and have a normal conversation but couldn't see each other at all. I didn't know which way was up or down at some points.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #281 on: 11 April, 2013, 06:38:24 pm »
My brother has taken a couple of days off work, and has taken his juniors + mine to Gelnshee and Cairngorm the last 2 days.

Reports of alpine conditions, and excellent weather yesterday, and only 'good' today!

I, meanwhile, was stuck in the Salt Mines of Montrose.   Bah.
I'll probably get my share of the snow on Saturday, on the Port Nav 200.

« Reply #282 on: 12 April, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »
On filming through an avalanche and wearing ABS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pSBUXFJXiY

Jakob

« Reply #283 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:28:12 am »
So, the 13/14 season isn't too far away. First snow on local mountains yesterday and Mt. Baker has 13 feet(!!!) of snow forecast this week. That might just be enough to stick as a base layer.
 I've already bought season pass for one of the local mountains, but it looks like our annual Xmas snowboarding/skiing trip wont happen this year due to work schedules...so instead me and one of my slightly more crazy friends (Straightline Joe) are talking about hitting Revelstoke in February, which is supposed to be one of the best powder mountains in North America.
 Other plans include buying a new jacket. After using shell-trousers for the first time last year, I would like to get a shell jacket too, but the $500+ ticket for goretex 3L jackets is painful...

« Reply #284 on: 03 October, 2013, 08:05:13 am »
I'm booked for La Plagne over xmas (Belle Plagne, a group of 18)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I much prefer shell, too, as someone who gets hot too quickly. Do you have any way of getting stuff delivered into the UK? If so Sportpursuit is the place to look, I recently picked up 2 Berghaus Goretex shells (one for me one for Mrs Ham) for £100-ish each) Last season, but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. They sometimes have Spyder @ 50% off or more, you just have to keep looking. Best stuff often goes fast, they may only have individual examples of some stuff, and then sometimes only odd sizes.

Sponsored link - if you use this link and join, and subsequently order I get credit (don't cost you nuffing) http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/hamilton_095cea

Disclaimer: do not hold me responsible for buying too much cycling, snow or other sport gear that you didn't really need.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #285 on: 03 October, 2013, 08:53:37 pm »
I like Sportpursuit too :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jakob

« Reply #286 on: 04 October, 2013, 08:51:58 pm »
I'm booked for La Plagne over xmas (Belle Plagne, a group of 18)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I much prefer shell, too, as someone who gets hot too quickly. Do you have any way of getting stuff delivered into the UK? If so Sportpursuit is the place to look, I recently picked up 2 Berghaus Goretex shells (one for me one for Mrs Ham) for £100-ish each) Last season, but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. They sometimes have Spyder @ 50% off or more, you just have to keep looking. Best stuff often goes fast, they may only have individual examples of some stuff, and then sometimes only odd sizes.

Sponsored link - if you use this link and join, and subsequently order I get credit (don't cost you nuffing) http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/hamilton_095cea

Disclaimer: do not hold me responsible for buying too much cycling, snow or other sport gear that you didn't really need.

Jeebuz, there's some good deals there!. Luckily the ones I really want are either sold out or not available in my size!

(edit) and their shipping rates to Canada are entirely reasonable!

« Reply #287 on: 05 October, 2013, 09:25:03 am »
Anyone know anything about skiing in Norway?  (yeah OK, start at the top of the hill, yeah yeah) Specifically if looking for a least expensive option for Feb half term?

The last few years Mrs Ham & I have got away by ourselves on the cheap, Miss Ham is now suggesting that together with Miss Ham's beau we all go together to Norway.

Oh, if anyone has suggestions for the two of us (if the Norway falls through) much appreciated. Val Cenis last year was perfect, apartment right on the slopes for ski in ski out, limited ski but kept us happy for the week.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #288 on: 05 October, 2013, 11:41:03 am »
Norway does not equal 'least expensive' in any way....

I've only been to Geilo on ski/conference jollies but they're not exactly extensive ski areas. I'm not familiar with Val Cenis but size might be comparatively disappointing.

« Reply #289 on: 05 October, 2013, 01:22:10 pm »
For clarity, I am just exploring the Norway option, 'tis a fancy of Miss Ham.  My initial looking agrees with your assessment and doesn't leave me thrilled. Hence considering the backstop for Mrs Ham & I on our own. Val Cenis with 125Km of pistes (much of that green/blue paths) was rather small, tbh, but worked well for the two of us.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #290 on: 12 October, 2013, 11:18:52 am »
Just booked January's leg & bank account busting trip to St Anton. The Happy Valley beckons, the Moosserwirt doesn't.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #291 on: 12 October, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »
Just booked January's leg & bank account   artery busting trip to St Anton. The Happy Valley beckons, the Moosserwirt doesn't.
FTFY.

Mmmmm.....germknodel :P

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #292 on: 14 October, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »
I have booked Cervinia for Christmas and Tignes Lac for 3rd week of March. If I was feeling wealthy I would probably go somewhere late January as well.

Feanor

« Reply #293 on: 22 October, 2013, 06:04:48 pm »
We'll be in Breckenridge again next year, and I've just seen the new terrain map since they opened up Peak 6.

http://www.breckenridge.com/~/media/Breckenridge/Files/Maps/2013-2014_TRAILMAP_web.ashx

Everything to the right of Peak 7 is new this season.
Looks really great!

Jakob

« Reply #294 on: 09 November, 2013, 11:12:20 pm »
I'll take the Naked Bike Ride and raise you with this:
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=77177549&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=77177549&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Meanwhile the temps are refusing to drop here. We only just got snow on the peaks of the local mountains and it looks more likely that they wont open until December :(.

Whistler opens on the 28th and I might have to bite the bullet and do an early season day up there.

Jakob

« Reply #295 on: 13 November, 2013, 04:29:54 am »
Ended up getting a Marmot Spire jacket. They were running a 20% sale on waterproofs and it was the one that fitted the best. Ok, the $800 Arcteryx was nicer, but I'm never going to pay that much for a jacket.
Goretex 3L for $425 and it'll substitute as a commuting jacket too. (lifetime warranty, so not worried about wear).

Feanor

« Reply #296 on: 17 November, 2013, 04:02:43 pm »
Just fettled a pair of Hotronic electric tootsie-warmers into Mrs F's boots.
A surprisingly fiddly job.
Once the batteries have some electrons in them, she'll be clumping around testing them.

I've no idea how effective they are, but they seem to get good enough reviews.

« Reply #297 on: 17 November, 2013, 07:17:51 pm »
I fettled Hotronic into Mrs & Miss Ham's boots a couple of years ago, and I can confirm that they were very positively received. As the years go by I am constantly interested in how well they stand up to the abuse of not being properly used for 10 months of the year. Thus far, I can tell you that 3 years is OK, but at £45 a battery pack I'm hoping for more.

Jakob

« Reply #298 on: 19 November, 2013, 10:33:19 pm »
Whistler opened last weekend, Mt Baker look to open this week and one of the local mountains will probably do the usual "Well, it's white, innit? (Just avoid the rocks, ok)" and open a run this weekend.
Picking up my board from the tuning shop (new basecoat, woot!) on Friday and this season is Go!

« Reply #299 on: 19 November, 2013, 10:41:18 pm »
Reminder to self - must get bindings fixed to new skis or I may not be skiing much the first day over christmas.