Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 127630 times)

Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #375 on: 26 February, 2014, 10:02:06 am »
Back after the standard half term week with, shock horror, an injury !

However, nothing to do with skiing. Car battery was flat, jump leads in the back, but no electricity means boot won't open. I had to clamber over front seats, over back seats and then reach to the far end of the car to get the cover for the wheel well open and then scrabble around deep down there for the leads. I managed to pop the cartilage end off my lower left rib. Ouch. Just as well we'd finished skiing.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #376 on: 28 February, 2014, 10:19:55 am »
Back from Banff, actually last Sunday but haven't caught my breath since.

Absolutely brilliant week, super snow, empty slopes, great place - would thoroughly recommend. Shame about the close to 24 hours at the airport on the way back  >:(

Haven't even had the time to get the photos off the camera, maybe later.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #377 on: 28 February, 2014, 12:20:43 pm »
Other extreme for me, I'm afraid. Just been told that my ankle (broken in collision 7 weeks ago) will not be strong enough for me to ski in Les Trois Vallee at Easter, which is a huge disappointment as we've had the holiday booked since last October.  :'(

On the bright side, I suppose I could book somewhere warm and just laze around for a week.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Jakob

« Reply #378 on: 05 March, 2014, 12:43:07 am »
It was snowing heavily downtown on last Monday, just cold enough to settle and by mid-afternoon I was jumping up and down, eager to get up the hill the moment I got off work.
Highway a bit sketchy and when I turned off for the mountain road, I just lucked in with snowplough turning around. "Great, I don't have to worry about the road", I thought and happily stuck behind it. (2 other cars between me and the truck.). However, the higher we went, the less snow the truck was pushing to the side and then people started overtaking the snowplough...and after awhile, so did I and the road was virtually clear. At this point the outside temp had gone up from 0 to 1 and it was clear that there was a nasty inversion in place and aside from the very top (where there was a good 2 feet of powder), it was 2 feet of wet snow :(
I did a couple of runs and went home :(.

« Reply #379 on: 05 March, 2014, 06:51:44 pm »
Off to Laax tomorrow but won't get there until late so no skiing until Friday.

Good snow recently and the forecast is for good days of bright sunshine. I'll take that (over endless whiteouts).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #380 on: 06 March, 2014, 12:41:48 pm »
I am glad I did not book this week. I was looking at the Tignes webcam 10.30 french time. Even at the end of the week there were queues at Palafour, Tichot, Lanches and Bollin/Fresse. The new Toviere in Lac which replaced Aeroski seams to have coped with its queue. Ten days until I step out. The crowds will be reduced but so will the snow unless a nice storm comes in.  I expect to use up my sunblock and aftersun this trip.

Jakob

« Reply #381 on: 09 March, 2014, 06:51:24 am »
Pretty good odds for having a powder day tomorrow at Whistler. Temps not as low as I would have liked, but still below freezing and that's probably about as good as it's going to get for this season. Still don't really have the legs for it, but I got a day on my pass and I'll spend spring at the local mountain instead.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #382 on: 14 March, 2014, 01:11:56 pm »
I will be starting my journey to Tignes to ski if there is any left. The forecast was 120C at the bottom on Monday so it will be melting fast. The 0 degree isotherm is near the top of the Grand Motte. I think I will be skiing boiler plate and slush all week with about ten minutes of nice snow mid morning. Too Hot :(

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #383 on: 14 March, 2014, 05:12:59 pm »
Don't be so pessimistic. I'm off to Val d'Isere on Sunday and it is going to be amazing :) There's a good snow base - better than there was at xmas when it was also pretty warm for a few days.

The bottom bits might be a bit slushy in the afternoon, but stay high and you'll be fine. Pack the factor 50!

I'll wave at you from across the valley.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #384 on: 24 March, 2014, 01:12:17 pm »
It turned out a lovely weeks skiing despite a few problems.
Problem 1. One of my brothers had twisted his knee at Christmas so was unable to ski the difficult pistes and snow. Although we did manage to ski down Sache once. We skied Face several times but the other black runs were ignored.
Problem 2. On the first day I noticed a problem with my boot. The foam in the liner was breaking up had slid down to the heel. On the second day this became unbearable. So I descended to Tignes Val Claret and entered a a ski shop to buy new boots. After trying four boots I selected the first as the best fitting. I paid £215 and resumed skiing. When I returned home I began the process to see if I had been ripped off. Not easy, the boot I chose was a Technica Ten.2 85 RT. I could find the Ten.2 80 and Ten.2 90 but could not find the 85 for sale anywhere in the UK. Eventually I google a chart of all this years Technica boots. I discovered that RT means Rental so there is no RRP. to find. The price is still unsettling the 80 is a much cheaper boot The 90's RRP is a little more than I paid £240. To make my journey a little harder I discovered the slightly taller boots do not fit my boot bag rucksack. At home Yesterday evening I tried again and found actually they do. The other boot buying annoyance was on the day I left most shops had started their end of season sale 30% off all this years stock. Many shops have some 2014-2015 kit so you will not get a discount on that until next year.
Problem 3. On Sunday morning having exited Eurostar the tube train took me as far as Baker Street. The train and station announcements said the train will be going no further due to signal failure "continue your journey above ground". As you know ski luggage is heavy and/or awkward. The walk from Baker street to Paddington is not too bad normally.  Judging by the queue for the bus outside Edgware Road tube station the problem had not been fixed. The walk was ok but not good for my brothers knee.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #385 on: 24 March, 2014, 03:42:07 pm »
Aye, emergency purchases in ski resorts tend not to be cheap.

« Reply #386 on: 16 April, 2014, 11:28:36 pm »
I know I should have put this into the ad joke thread, sorry an' all, and I know I can't draw

(click to show/hide)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #387 on: 24 October, 2014, 01:21:38 pm »
The first snow of the season, at resort level in the French alps, fell this week.  Mostly gone now.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #388 on: 24 October, 2014, 09:00:48 pm »
Yes indeedy.  There was snow on high ground in ScotlandLand last week too.

We've just begun digging the ski kit out and examining it.
New skis for Junior#2 arrived a couple of days ago.  Bindings fitted and adjusted.
They join the queue for waxing / edgeing in a few weeks time.

( New skis are not supplied with any proper wax, but the edge angles are usually well-set for recreational skiing.
Since they are no longer racing, I no longer customise the edge angles unless it's especially icy in which case I may.
And in the case of rentals, I usually will, because they seem to be edged by a monkey with an angle grinder.)

« Reply #389 on: 25 October, 2014, 05:28:26 pm »
We appear to be going to Italyland over Christmas, at one stage we were in danger of not going anywhere despite it being Mrs Ham's 60th and a 22 year habit over Christmas.

Feanor

« Reply #390 on: 26 October, 2014, 10:31:18 pm »
Oh, where are you going?
We've not been to Italy very often, just the twice I can remember.

Livigno on both occasions.
There's nothing very special about the place, other than it's curious tax status.

First time was umpty years ago.
Second time was with extended family of varying abilities.

Best thing about Italian ski resorts is Italian food.
( Oh, that and the young dark-haired Italian woman who provided my first 'hands-on' snowboard lesson.   But I'm Not Allowed to talk about that. )

« Reply #391 on: 27 October, 2014, 05:01:41 am »
Champoluc is our destination (did have to look it up  ;) ), looks interesting. At least we're flying.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #392 on: 27 October, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »
I am going to Alpe d'Huez before half term then Les Arcs after half term. I did investigate going to Serre Chevalier Tuesday to Tuesday before Christmas but I don't have the money for three ski holidays this year. It is possible to do non regular dates off peak season. The overnight couchette trains run every night not just Friday and Saturday.  The train journey home would have been busy though.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #393 on: 04 November, 2014, 01:14:51 pm »
It seems more snow for the high places this week but still not much down to the resort. I like to watch the snow line descend as we approach Christmas.

Of course part of me does not mind there being no snow at Christmas because for the first time in years I will not be going then.  I do realise that lots of snow now sets a good base for the rest of the year.  What I want is a series of moderate snowfalls and partial thaws so a ice base level is formed locking in all the loose stones before the resorts open. Skis and piste bashers can churn them up to the surface. Then a huge snowfalls at the end of January in the Southern alps followed by a sunny cold week to make my holiday wonderful.

« Reply #394 on: 04 November, 2014, 01:20:52 pm »
It seems more snow for the high places this week but still not much down to the resort. I like to watch the snow line descend as we approach Christmas.

Of course part of me does not mind there being no snow at Christmas because for the first time in years I will not be going then.  I do realise that lots of snow now sets a good base for the rest of the year.  What I want is a series of moderate snowfalls and partial thaws so a ice base level is formed locking in all the loose stones before the resorts open. Skis and piste bashers can churn them up to the surface. Then a huge snowfalls at the end of January in the Southern alps followed by a sunny cold week to make my holiday wonderful.

You need to have a chat with Slartibartfast.
Rust never sleeps

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #395 on: 29 November, 2014, 10:49:25 am »
29 November.  The date the higher French ski resorts want to open. I look around the webcams look at lumiplan and see that is not the case.
The end of November has been too warm for snow cannons so nobody has been able to create unlikely pistes down to the resort.  The snow line seems to be at 2500m.

Tignes and Valdisere were hoping to open to a greater extent today. Tignes tried to make Carline and Bolin but they have not managed it.  Tignes who before the retreat of the glacier used to open every day of the year is still in Autumn mode.  Only sectors Glacier and Grande Motte are open.  Fortunately there is just enough snow on the bottom part of Double M to permit skiing into Val Claret.  Today high wind has stopped Val d'Isere opening  Pissaillas.

Val Thorens has some snow but is also having trouble with the wind today so the drags and carpets in the village are busy but Peclet and Cascades lifts are closed due to wind.

Moving into Italy things look a little better. Cervinia has more open that the French.

http://www.skiplan.com/stations-temps-reel/

http://www.tignes.net/fr/ski-a-tignes/webcams-290.html

« Reply #396 on: 13 December, 2014, 11:37:20 am »
Skis all edged & waxed - check
Bag pretty much packed for 20th departure - check
Snow. Hmmmm. Ah well, can't have everything.

Actually doesn't look too bad but will be rather thin, I suspect skis will return needing a lot more TLC than they did on the return from Banff last Feb

Feanor

« Reply #397 on: 14 December, 2014, 06:40:08 pm »
Just dug out my GPS routes to try to remember how to get out / in of the infernal French side of GVA.

Ah, yes.  From Ferny-Voltaire, you skulk down a disused-looking service road lined with high fences which give it that Guantanamo look.   Which leads to the dingiest corner of what's a god-awful airport at the best of times. 

Hmm, perhaps this should be in First-World problems.

Feanor

« Reply #398 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:33:41 pm »
My sister-in-law has brought round the new skis she got my brother for Xmas, as agreed.
I'm to set up the bindings and apply the necessary wax /edge magic.

Only no boot and height/ weight as requested.

I can't set up the bindings without the boot.
I need the sole length, and the physical boot to check the boot is correctly set up over the centre marker on the ski, and to set up the forward pressure adjustment on the rear binding.

And no height / weight to look up the DIN settings.

I'll just do the basic wax / edge and wait for a boot to be delivered.  Ho Hum.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #399 on: 21 December, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »
Any (lack of) snow reports?