Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105073 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #350 on: 03 April, 2015, 10:39:09 am »
I have a new plan for my own attempt on the C8A, agreed provisionally with Mrs CET this morning - starting from Aberdare at 10.16am on Thursday 25th June - aiming to complete by 10.16pm on Saturday 27th June and recovering in the delights of the Premier Inn, Aberdare on Saturday night. 

Its a definite commitment now as have booked the Premier Inn for £25 + £8.75 for an all you can eat breakfast on the Sunday morning (they really shouldn't make such offers!!!!)  This replaces the plan for a month late which clashed with the Ramblin' Man Fair in Maidstone.

So, anyone who wants a half-decent test of fitness before PBP, or an epic because they can't be bothered/missed out on PBP qualifying/just love very long Cambrian Perms is welcome to join in!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #351 on: 03 April, 2015, 11:26:55 am »
Interesting stats!

What about the 1A?  I think that has to be one of the best 100's out there and I'm surprised it's not on the popular list.

Does not play well with others

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #352 on: 03 April, 2015, 12:04:21 pm »
I have a new plan for my own attempt on the C8A, agreed provisionally with Mrs CET this morning - starting from Aberdare at 10.16am on Thursday 25th June - aiming to complete by 10.16pm on Saturday 27th June and recovering in the delights of the Premier Inn, Aberdare on Saturday night. 

Its a definite commitment now as have booked the Premier Inn for £25 + £8.75 for an all you can eat breakfast on the Sunday morning (they really shouldn't make such offers!!!!)  This replaces the plan for a month late which clashed with the Ramblin' Man Fair in Maidstone.

So, anyone who wants a half-decent test of fitness before PBP, or an epic because they can't be bothered/missed out on PBP qualifying/just love very long Cambrian Perms is welcome to join in!

Sorry, I'll be washing my hair...........

Might do a double Cambrian 300+200 in September though.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #353 on: 03 April, 2015, 05:34:10 pm »
Are any of these routes online somewhere in gpx/map/eparchment form? Its a logistical challenge for me to start anywhere in Wales except Chepstow (and that's non-trivial), so i'd like to look at what options are worth the effort.

(yes, I know the control town names are on the event pages - but if anyone has done the 'next step' and put it online, that would be fab!  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #355 on: 03 April, 2015, 06:17:50 pm »
Ta!
(at least 2 of those are ... "feasible" ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #356 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:01:36 pm »
The 6B looks interesting for an October jaunt.

« Reply #357 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:26:55 pm »

Does it go near warm facilities?
Does not play well with others

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #358 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:38:22 pm »

Does it go near warm facilities?

Kings YHA @ 372km

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #359 on: 06 April, 2015, 09:44:17 pm »
Interesting stats!

What about the 1A?  I think that has to be one of the best 100's out there and I'm surprised it's not on the popular list.

15 entries but only 5 completions, so presumably lots that are sitting on a shelf somewhere gathering dust.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #360 on: 08 April, 2015, 12:10:47 pm »
Weather's looking good for the weekend, anyone got any Cambrian plans ?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #361 on: 09 April, 2015, 08:07:23 am »
6A  http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5848540
6B  http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6626509

4B  http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6177784
4D  http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7113618

3A  http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5895066

2A  http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5884696

They may need some tweaking, as they're in the planning.

The 4D is pretty much as I rode it except that I went through Longtown rather than Gospel Pass which saves a mile or so.  I also avoided Painscastle and added and extra mile or two go go through Boughrood.  I also rode it anticlockwise.  There is a 24hr petrol station on the A40 just west of Carmarthen and the cafes in Fishguard stay open until about 11.30pm.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #362 on: 12 April, 2015, 03:41:43 pm »
The 4D......What a laugh!

Great ride, Paincastle was interesting. And all those sheeps...good job I took my wellies.

It's up there with the most scenic rides ever. Especially the top road from Trecastle over to Llandeilo.....WOW!

Just remember to take the bike path from Carmathen to the B4298 turnoff to avoid the horrors of the A40  :o

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #363 on: 14 April, 2015, 05:25:59 pm »
Ah well, 8 hours in the YHA at Dolgoch and a full English at Hay took its toll and we were 22 minutes over time.  ;)

But I blame it on the jobsworth behind the counter at Monmouth Post office, who made me wait whilst he had a chat about the Lib Dems election manifesto to some tie-dye clad hippy, then refused to stamp my card despite all the other Banks and Post Offices on the route doing so.......Post Office rules say nada!  ::-)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #364 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:06:39 pm »
Ah well, 8 hours in the YHA at Dolgoch and a full English at Hay took its toll and we were 22 minutes over time.  ;)

But I blame it on the jobsworth behind the counter at Monmouth Post office, who made me wait whilst he had a chat about the Lib Dems election manifesto to some tie-dye clad hippy, then refused to stamp my card despite all the other Banks and Post Offices on the route doing so.......Post Office rules say nada!  ::-)

8 hours kip on a Cambrian 400!  People would start to think these events are an easy option  :demon:

« Reply #365 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:16:00 pm »
8 hours kip on a Cambrian 400!  People would start to think these events are an easy option  :demon:

Oi, I'll have you know it was cold and black outside. To set off any earlier would have meant facing the Tregaron mountain toad (TM jo) in the dark  :o

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #366 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:52:31 pm »
I'd already experienced THE DARKNESS on the way to the hostel, when I hit something at speed on one of the TMR's many undulations and my front light flew off and went bouncing along the tarmac in a fantastic show of blinding, flashing light.

Luckily the anchors were still good and the road was straight for a bit, although it was properly dark by then. The light survived and all was well.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #367 on: 05 June, 2015, 08:01:59 pm »
Just under 3 weeks to go before setting out on the 8A.  Free entry to anyone who want to keep me company.  Start from Aberdare c10.30am on Thursday 25th June.  Prep ride (and PBP qualifier) on the Kernow & SW600 proved the set up with the Nelson Longflap so all good to go.  Audax hotel for the first night, hope to make Tregaron for the second night and Premier Inn in Aberdare before setting off home on Sunday.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #368 on: 05 June, 2015, 09:17:52 pm »

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #369 on: 06 June, 2015, 07:42:49 am »
A combination of a cancelled BA flight, a delayed Easyjet replacement (good job HRG getting me on that one) and then a 40-MINUTE-WAIT FOR GATWICK AIRPORT TO FIND A SET OF STEPS !!!! meant that I got home at 2am.  (You see, riding 600s is a perfect preparation for business travel)

Cheered myself up just now by checking three Cambrian Series brevets and validating them and getting memories of all those magic little places that people find in Wales as proof of passage.   Looks like 3 very happy riders - so you made me happy.  Keep riding!

Can't wait for the 8A.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #370 on: 11 June, 2015, 03:03:45 pm »
Well, the 8A will remain a dream for another year.  Work and family pressures have built up to the extent that I won't have the necessary level of emotional stability to tackle 3 days and 2 nights in the saddle.  It will become objective #1 for 2016 and I will use the space it creates to be properly ready for PBP.  You can't win them all.

« Reply #371 on: 11 June, 2015, 03:57:23 pm »
Here's to your emotional rescue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iw_BE_X9sA

Family and work come first. Any possibility of a September outing?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #372 on: 11 June, 2015, 07:16:50 pm »
Sorry to hear about your broken dreams.

Console yourself......at least you won't be late.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTFgEIMwAkw

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #373 on: 12 June, 2015, 08:41:39 am »
Here's to your emotional rescue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iw_BE_X9sA

Family and work come first. Any possibility of a September outing?

Problem is that I am in the US for two weeks 30 August to 11 September.  So not sure that I could persuade Mrs CET.  The best time to go is in school holidays.  So I suppose that would mean the last week in October.  I guess if we pre-booked accommodation along the way it would just about be possible and would certainly be an epic tale...

« Reply #374 on: 12 June, 2015, 05:46:53 pm »
late October in Wales ????? mmm could be very interesting expedition for you---the makings of either a real classic epic or horror movie  ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above