Author Topic: Do I Need A Trangia?  (Read 10421 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: Do I Need A Trangia?
« Reply #50 on: 10 August, 2017, 07:01:53 pm »
A Swedish Army issue trangia-style stove can be bought on "a well-known auction site" for about £10-£15. For camping on French campsites it's very handy as meths is easy to buy there, and you can set it up in the corner of your pitch and it quietly gets on with its business while you play with tent, beer, showers, etc.
For cold weather you can buy some Ronson cigarette lighter fluid and pop a squirt into the top of the meths and light it - the fluid burns and heats the top layer of meths which then catches light from the burning fluid and then heats up the whole shebang. Works well.
For weight weeny stuff it's the Pocket Rocket and big gas canisters  - one lasts me about a week.
For really sub-zero stuff it's the MSR petrol stove.
Finally, a few spoonfuls of water in the meths will ensure no build-up of nasty black stuff on the bottom of your Trangia pans.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 10 August, 2017, 07:10:09 pm »
Finally, a few spoonfuls of water in the meths will ensure no build-up of nasty black stuff on the bottom of your Trangia pans.

Never really found this to be a problem in practice.  After you've used the pan, you're probably going to do Washing Up, which removes any loose soot that might contaminate things.  If it's not going to come off, who cares what colour it is?

« Reply #52 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:47:46 pm »
So has the clariflys now got a trangia ?  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #53 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:01:15 pm »
So has the clariflys now got a trangia ?  :)

Not yet!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #54 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:05:47 am »
 :o :)
the slower you go the more you see