Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 419439 times)

simonp

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1475 on: 21 June, 2015, 09:17:21 pm »
192.5 miles. Short of the 200 I'd hoped for. There were some temporary traffic lights in Usk which caused issues so they sent us up to Hereford again after I'd done one loop of the Chainbridge circuit. This caused unsupported riders a lot of issues. Some phone calls to sort out where I'd be so Feline could find me. And the RTA right in front of me which cost me some time offering to be a witness. Fortunately the biker was unhurt as he managed to avoid everything except the corner of the front bumper of the car that pulled out on him.

Really bad patch between about 9 and 11 hours. Last hour or so I perked up again.

rob

« Reply #1476 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:35:14 am »
192.5 miles. Short of the 200 I'd hoped for. There were some temporary traffic lights in Usk which caused issues so they sent us up to Hereford again after I'd done one loop of the Chainbridge circuit. This caused unsupported riders a lot of issues. Some phone calls to sort out where I'd be so Feline could find me. And the RTA right in front of me which cost me some time offering to be a witness. Fortunately the biker was unhurt as he managed to avoid everything except the corner of the front bumper of the car that pulled out on him.

Really bad patch between about 9 and 11 hours. Last hour or so I perked up again.

Well done.   Anything around 200 for a first go is good going.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1477 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:01:42 am »
Well done Simon :)

So who remembers the motorbike following Bradley Wiggins on his recent failed attempt at the 10 mile comp record?  It turns out that neither Wiggers himself nor CTT knew about the bike beforehand: it was an NEG rider who'd privately decided to turn up and 'help' by stopping traffic from overtaking. 

I bet Wiggins is well annoyed!  That will have denied him the 'traffic assistance' that most people get on A road courses.  Given that he eased off the gas towards the end when he knew he hadn't got the record, who knows what he could have done had he had a normal level of slipstream?

« Reply #1478 on: 22 June, 2015, 11:30:46 am »
Yes, well done, Simon.  The leg to Hereford is quite hilly so going back out there would have reduced your distance - let alone the other stuff.

I did the ECCA 100 too.  Last week's Newbury 12 hour was very much still in my legs and my power decreased over the ride.  Average power ended up almost exactly the same as the first 100 of the 12 hour.   The time was slightly better than last week though, 4:23 vs 4:30. 

Probably wasn't a good idea to do both events though: while the a gradual loss of leg power was slightly demoralising but not the end of the world, finding a tolerable place on which to sit became an increasingly pressing concern as the morning wore on!

rob

« Reply #1479 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:56:20 pm »
I'm impressed at those entering a 100 the weekend after a 12hr.   I had entered a 25 but it was cancelled.   Managed 3hrs steady on the audax bike and the legs finally felt more normal, so back on the turbo this week.   I now have :-

4th July - Fenland Clarion 25
19th July - VTTA Kent 50
26th July - EDCA 100

Hoping for some decent days as these are my only real chances for BBAR qualifiers.

« Reply #1480 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:11:21 pm »
I'm impressed at those entering a 100 the weekend after a 12hr.

Don't be!  It was stupid; I won't be doing it again!

Having said that, I have to say I was impressed by Hoppo, who did a good ride in the 12 and then went under 4 hours in the 100.  It shows that the miles he does mean that he can take a 12 in his stride.  Also suggests that if he targeted a fast 100 and tapered for it, he could be pretty quick

rob

« Reply #1481 on: 04 July, 2015, 06:52:03 pm »
Fenland Clarion 25 this afternoon.   1:03:08.   Getting steadily slower this year.   Conditions were really windy again and the course had quite a few roundabouts, although I think it would be quick on a calm day.

That's it for 25s this year so getting under the hour will have to wait until 2016.

« Reply #1482 on: 05 July, 2015, 04:10:37 pm »
Rode the Cardiff 100 Mile CC 25 yesterday. It's a fast course that I have ridden before – except that this time I arrived to be informed the course had been changed because of roadworks. Inside the HQ a slightly testy fellow was explaining the new course in an opaque manner. I brought a road atlas from the car to help. He peered at it in a long-sighted fashion and announced it was fucking useless. So, having worked out what his description meant I showed those present where it went and, more importantly, where the start was.  Eventually someone drew a larger version to display.

Arrived at the start, checked the position and disappeared for a warm-up. Came back to find a gaggle of riders in a lay-by who said the start was wrong and was being moved to this spot. Sure enough, the time-keeper and pusher-off drove up in a hurry and set up.  They'd sent the two-ups off on a short course.

I did another warm-up turn and returned to find the start still in the same place. I'd asked for an early start so I was 3rd off in the main event.  Passed my 79yr old minute man fairly quickly and settled down to 'just painful' on the speed scale.

I was approaching 40mph on the gradual descents but slowing to less than 20 on some of the long drags. Every so often a gusting headwind would catch me.  However, the final stretch of dual-carriageway was increasingly fast and I sprinted flat out to the line, hoping I might have beaten the hour. 

I crawled the 3 miles back to the HQ and waited while our man tapped at his computer and wrote up random results from much further down the field. After what seemed like ages he finally wrote something against my name: 58.45.

I am pleased with that. Full results sheet is photographed here (scroll down a bit).

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1483 on: 05 July, 2015, 05:29:47 pm »
Well done Ian, good ride.

3:55:00 in the Stockton 100 for me.  That would  have been a club record except I was passed on the way by my clubmate who was off four minutes behind me.  His record lasted about half an hour before being updated by another clubmate.  Comp record also fell, to Richard Bideau with 3:18:54.  As you might have worked out by now, this was a fast day.

I was very glad of the kind conditions, as I'd had a tough week and was pretty tired at the start - I'd abandoned hope of a four hour ride and nearly hadn't bothered at all.  I'm glad I did now though!  There were only about 40 people riding the event in total, as it clashed with the national 100 in Wales.  The national's on here next year's ; let's see how many entries it gets once people see the results from this time!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1484 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:23:08 pm »
I couldn't help sniggering when I saw Hoppo's post on FB/Strava/Garmin about a "99.7mile" TT yesterday.

(Was that the Stockton one Pharti? )

Meanwhile, I knocked a few minutes off my 25 time (on the quick-iiish H25/17 ). 2nd of the year, probably only my 4th ever, but I felt I got the pacing pretty close to right this time, so I don't expect another 2 minutes to come off any time soon!

25s are hard. I feel shattered at the end of a 10, but within a minute I'm feeling sort-of-human again. After a 25 I need a lie-down. I needed several cuppas and bits of cake before attempting the flat 8miles home. The only upside seems to be how short a 10 now feels! I think its a mental thing, there is time for loads more pits and troughs. Onna '10' it starts to get hard around 7 miles - at which point you think how short 3 miles is, it'll all be over soon!

I can't imagine ever trying a 50 or 100.

(Just under 69min. No aero bits, with mudguards etc, but it's still not fast, is it?!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #1485 on: 06 July, 2015, 04:40:46 pm »
Now here's the thing that I think I'm getting wrong.   I've only done 1 10 this year and coughed a little afterwards.   On Saturday's 25 there were people laid on the grass or propped against fences, but I happily rode back to the HQ.   I clearly can't bury myself in the right way to be able to do a fast 25.

I actually like 100s and 12hrs as I can pace in that reasonably hard zone but hold it for hours.   I was able to average 21.5mph for 12hrs but I can't do 25mph for an hour....

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #1486 on: 06 July, 2015, 06:40:54 pm »
10s are horrible - you need to get properly warmed up ie half an hour, and then go flat out for the whole thing. 25s I found easier; a good warm up, pretty hard for the first half, then gradually wind it up. The coach of the late Jason McIntyre (sp) said to him prior to him winning the national 25 "I don't want to see your teeth before half way" !!

( I came to TTs late, ie I started as a vet, and did 21.36 for a 10, and 55.45 for a 25). Get training :-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1487 on: 06 July, 2015, 06:53:55 pm »
Rob,
I think riding 10s would help a lot! You're doing things back to front - typical AUK - most folks ride loads of 10s (usually mid-week locals) plus a few longer rides at the weekends!! (Mostly 25s. The numbers who ride a 12 is tiny).

you do "proper" interval training,  doncha? If you're doing (e.g.) any 20min intervals, you know you could ride a 10 at pretty close to that level. And ride 25miles a tad lower again. Could you keep up your interval level for a whole hour?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1488 on: 06 July, 2015, 08:32:11 pm »
I couldn't help sniggering when I saw Hoppo's post on FB/Strava/Garmin about a "99.7mile" TT yesterday.

(Was that the Stockton one Pharti? )

Yes that was the one.  What did he say?

Well done on your 25 too.  If you ride 10 mile, 25 mile and 24 hour events, you should really consider doing the medium distance rides to get the set.  Just take the mudguards off first: they'll make you go faster!

rob

« Reply #1489 on: 06 July, 2015, 08:43:28 pm »
Rob,
I think riding 10s would help a lot! You're doing things back to front - typical AUK - most folks ride loads of 10s (usually mid-week locals) plus a few longer rides at the weekends!! (Mostly 25s. The numbers who ride a 12 is tiny).

you do "proper" interval training,  doncha? If you're doing (e.g.) any 20min intervals, you know you could ride a 10 at pretty close to that level. And ride 25miles a tad lower again. Could you keep up your interval level for a whole hour?!?

Actually that's exactly what I do, pacing using an HRM and levels from a ramp test.

My max HR is 200 and my threshold HR is 172.   I do 2*20 intervals at 174-175 with 5 mins rest so race 10s at 175-180 and 25s at 170 for the first half and 175+ for the second.   On Saturday I was running a lot  higher from, I assume, the heat.   Didn't feel spent, though.

The local evening 10s start too early and I can't get back from town early enough.   I'll enter more opens next year when I'll be off the audax trail and more focussed on training.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1490 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:24:20 am »
We had flat calm conditions early on, as did the rest of the country it seems

It seems you're right: our club 10 record fell at the weekend too, to one of our juniors riding on Hull.  It was a fast weekend all round!

rob

« Reply #1491 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:21:14 am »

It seems you're right: our club 10 record fell at the weekend too, to one of our juniors riding on Hull.  It was a fast weekend all round!

Not on Saturday afternoon in the Fens it wasn't.......

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1492 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:36:55 am »

Not on Saturday afternoon in the Fens it wasn't.......

That's coz Teethgrinder had used all the available oxygen.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1493 on: 07 July, 2015, 12:16:54 pm »

Yup. My old tandem partner Mark Jones won that event with the second fastest 10 of the year. Eleven riders under 19 minutes - that's some going.

I think Eugene Cross broke the junior comp record with 19:05.  He once rode my audax, so that's my minor claim to fame sorted  :smug:

[Actually, Ryan Mullen did a 19:01 while still a junior]

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1494 on: 07 July, 2015, 01:03:27 pm »
Rob,

Actually that's exactly what I do, pacing using an HRM and levels from a ramp test.

My max HR is 200 and my threshold HR is 172.   I do 2*20 intervals at 174-175 with 5 mins rest so race 10s at 175-180 and 25s at 170 for the first half and 175+ for the second.   On Saturday I was running a lot  higher from, I assume, the heat.   Didn't feel spent, though.

The local evening 10s start too early and I can't get back from town early enough.   I'll enter more opens next year when I'll be off the audax trail and more focussed on training.
well I'm no expert, but I still can't see anything wrong with your approach ;P

You don't say how a 10 leaves you  - even more fresh than your 25s??

( When I said 10s would help you, i didn't mean in training terms - your intervals on the turbo will do that for you fine. I just meant as a guide to pacing your other races. )

Maybe try a 25 at 175 from the gun and see how it goes? (easier to tell someone else to do this of course ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1495 on: 07 July, 2015, 01:38:45 pm »
Hello.

I agree, start harder from the off. I start a 25 TT 12-13 beats below my max, second half it does creep up a bit and hit max at the finish.

I do a 10 at less than 10 below max. Worth a go just starting harder. I'm properly truly f**ked though after every TT, 10 or 25. I don't have natural talent, but I have an ability to absolutely destroy myself.

rob

« Reply #1496 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:15:53 pm »
I kind of promised not to do any more TTs when I got back from PBP, but I find myself looking at the calendar for early Sep now and again......

simonp

« Reply #1497 on: 07 July, 2015, 08:32:01 pm »
On the subject of pacing, just did a 20-minute test and I had enough to bury it for the final 30s. Ended up with 270W average for 20 minutes which gives an estimated FTP of 256W.

Not sure if I could have gone harder in the middle as I had that sprint, and didn’t even throw up.

It seems that the intervals have been working.

Probably won’t be riding the club 10 tomorrow.  ::-)

simonp

« Reply #1498 on: 15 July, 2015, 09:46:53 pm »
Wasn't going to bother but rode the SRC club 10. U21/10 26'26. New bike mostly ok but need to adjust some positional stuffs I think. 78" was under geared for this. PB of 26'11 intact.

Probably doing a VO2max intervals session last night won't have helped.

rob

« Reply #1499 on: 19 July, 2015, 12:22:25 pm »
VTTA 50 on Romney Marsh this morning. Improved my PB by almost 6 minutes to 2:04:27.   Been on holiday all week, which seems to have made a bit of difference.